ColForbin's 2012 rig

Started by ColForbin, March 27, 2012, 08:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

So I have had some changes....and my most recent change is not pictured here:

AO custom guitar-->The Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->GCB95 Crybaby wah-->Cmatmods Signa Drive-->Ross Clone-->Emma Discombobulator Envelope filter-->BBE Soul Vibe-->Diamond Tremolo-->TC Flashback delay-->Deluxer Reverb RI

The AO has a koa top, wenge back and alder in the middle.  It also has the Jerry style OBEL, which is what the wheel is for.  It routes my effects board in a loop and back into the guitar...it's completely fucking badass, and highly recommended.

As a side note, if anyone is looking for a serious, versatile trem, I highly recommend the Diamond Tremolo, the very last word in trem effects, imho.

The part of my rig that I just recently reacquired is a 1972 Twin Reverb, not in my possession yet, but picking it up on Thursday.  Which is the bomb, as my band, Disco Rockin Llamas just got back together and our first show back is Saturday.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Magilla

Very nice! Whats the wheel?

gone phishing

That guitar is badass. such a sweet rig

ColForbin

Quote from: Magilla on March 27, 2012, 09:31:34 AM
Very nice! Whats the wheel?

AO can explain this a whole lot better than I, but essentially it's a routing switch.  You can see two cables coming out of my guitar, one stereo, one mono, wrapped up as one.  The other end of this dual cable is plugged into the wheel.  On the other side of the wheel is a send and return, so it looks like:  Guitar-->The Wheel-->effects send-->effects return--> back through the stereo cable to the guitar.  Now from here, we have a buffer in the guitar and then that signal goes out the mono cable.  That mono cable goes into the wheel and then there is a cable going back out to the amp.

Reading, I realize that I have probably just confused everybody including myself.  Again, Andrew would explain this a whole lot better. 

But some more info:  The volume and tone controls on my guitar are post effects.  There is a mini toggle that can turn the effects loop on/off, when off it is just my straight signal from guitar to amp.  One more thing about the wheel, it has a switch on it, for standard or OBEL.  This allows me to use a standard mono guitar cable with my guitar, or another guitar as I normally would without having to bypass the wheel.

Quote from: gonephishingThat guitar is badass. such a sweet rig

Thanks man, I dig it pretty good.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

fulltone1989

Awesome! I love my DRRI too and I want to get a bigger amp like a Pro Reverb or Vibrolux for bigger venues. What type of pedalboard are you using? I have a similar setup and I want to get off the DIY thing I made.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on April 04, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
Awesome! I love my DRRI too and I want to get a bigger amp like a Pro Reverb or Vibrolux for bigger venues. What type of pedalboard are you using? I have a similar setup and I want to get off the DIY thing I made.

That's exactly what I just did!  I have my DRRI and I got a '72 twin reverb, all the clean headroom a fella would require.  I'm using a pedal train 2 for my board, they are just super versatile if you are like me and you switch stuff around a lot.  Plus you can hide all your cabling and power supply. I know there are lots of awesome pedal boards out there, but I really like pedaltrain.  You can get soft or hard cases too, and they are quality.
Current rig: 

manicstarseed

The Wheel - I have been noodling on a similar idea for an OBEL. When I build my guitar, it will have one.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on April 04, 2012, 12:48:09 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on April 04, 2012, 11:44:10 AM

That's exactly what I just did!  I have my DRRI and I got a '72 twin reverb, all the clean headroom a fella would require.  I'm using a pedal train 2 for my board, they are just super versatile if you are like me and you switch stuff around a lot.  Plus you can hide all your cabling and power supply. I know there are lots of awesome pedal boards out there, but I really like pedaltrain.  You can get soft or hard cases too, and they are quality.

Looks very clean, my DIY setup is tidy and was built after a pedaltrain but I'd like to add some space for a tuner or something. Do you recommend the soft or hard case?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

ColForbin

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on April 04, 2012, 05:16:03 PM
Looks very clean, my DIY setup is tidy and was built after a pedaltrain but I'd like to add some space for a tuner or something. Do you recommend the soft or hard case?

Depends how much travelling your board does, I am currently doing a rehearsal a week with 1-2 shows per month, so for me the board is ideal.  If I were on the road all the time playing a lot of shows, I would invest in a case.  It's a sturdy soft case, with a shoulder strap, so it sure makes load in and out easier that way.  But some people need a hard case, and it's a dandy hard case as well.
Current rig: 

Poster

you should shoot that tuner with a pistol and throw it off a bridge taped to a brick.

cool guitar dude!

ColForbin

Ha!  thanks dude, I take it that you are not a fan of the pitchblack?  Pourquoi?
Current rig: 

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on June 12, 2012, 07:42:50 AM
Ha!  thanks dude, I take it that you are not a fan of the pitchblack?  Pourquoi?

IMHO I thought it was a bit hard to read in daylight. I wouldn't use it for intonation but for gigging uses it served me just fine. Space was an issue so I just switched to a TC polytune Mini.

ColForbin

Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 12, 2012, 08:27:42 AM
Quote from: ColForbin on June 12, 2012, 07:42:50 AM

IMHO I thought it was a bit hard to read in daylight. I wouldn't use it for intonation but for gigging uses it served me just fine. Space was an issue so I just switched to a TC polytune Mini.

I didn't even know those existed until this moment, very cool.
Current rig: 

Poster

tc products are still kinda mickey mouse. I do use one, but I dont wear the fucking t shirt around you know. Too bad I dont have a huge rack and a momo to haul it anymore, that korg rack was my favorite.

ColForbin

Quote from: Poster on June 12, 2012, 03:41:20 PM
tc products are still kinda mickey mouse. I do use one, but I dont wear the fucking t shirt around you know. Too bad I dont have a huge rack and a momo to haul it anymore, that korg rack was my favorite.

What TC product are you using?  
Current rig: