RMC3 Help.. Need a good Tremelo.. Alesis MicroVerb I

Started by Helping Friendly, February 24, 2013, 02:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

It's good to be back, I haven't been here in awhile. I just watched the Trey gear vid and now I'm back to tone tweaking! Did anyone ever mod an RMC3? I have one and can't get the sound I hear in my head. Pretty much Trey 97.. The bassest setting sounds close but it distorts too much when at a decent volume. And the other settings are to thin sounding and not phat. Anyone have any suggestions? I also love how he didn't talk about his wha at all. The mystery continues...

Also I'm in the market for a good tremelo that will take an expression pedal that's not too much money. I will be honest, I NEED to do exactly what he's doing in the clip   ;D

And finally, any one have the Alesis MicroVerb I? That reverse mode sounds dope on leads and I think my rig could use a little "bop shuuunk" as Trey would put it.. That was great to watch!

Heady Jam Fan

Never heard of someone moding an RMC3, I have one and had something I liked dialed (which takes a bit of tweaking), then I haven't used a wah in months... Happy will probably chime in on this topic though.

Happy's also been thinking about grabbing a Gig FX Chopper tremolo pedal. Someone who lives by me had one when I jammed with them, but never got around to trying it - they liked it though. I don't remember the part of the clip where he demo's his tremolo.

I got a Microverb I from GC at a good price, but it arrived broken. I have another that should get here monday. You can really hear what it sounds like in the clip before Trey turns on the overdrive. After he turns it on, it kinda disappears a bit, but his playing sounds awesome at that point. For $40-50, can't hurt to try one - but you will also want a TB pedal or defeat switch with it.

The video was awesome though, I keep going back to parts of it.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Good stuff Heady! Let me know how the MicroVerb suits you when you get it.. As far as the wah, I read some of Happy's posts on moding the resistors. I hope  you can chime in Happy.. (still use the sustainac bud?) I saw a quick clip on youtube about the Gig FX Chopper tremolo. Its looks pretty kool for the price. I'm about to do a little more research on that now. It might be good 4 what I want to do. Thanks for the info Heady!

Edit: So after some further research on the Chopper I think I might pony up and grab one when the old tax return gets here  :o   Thanks bro

Happyorange27

In short my new recommendation is to get a CAE wah.  It's the best of both worlds since you can choose from inductors.  I love love love this wah.  And if you need to tweak, it has trimpots inside...no soldering required. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

connor117

if you want help dialing the teese, call Geoffrey!!
its true it can take some time, and i have called him many times. but i think im finally there. for now that is, until my taste changes.
there isnt a wah on the market that does something the rmc3 cant. its all about settings.
geoffrey will helps you with specifics based on your guitar, amp, pedals, and style. he will also make sure your wah is up to date with all upgrades and give you insight as to how the rmc3 is designed to operate (the dip switches were confusing to me for a while).
hands down best customer service in the gear industry.

Helping Friendly

Yea I've talked to Geoffrey many times.. He is a kool dude for sure. Let me ask you Connor, Does your RMC3 volume knob stay silent until you get to about 12 o'clock? Mine is very touch sensitive on the volume knob. I only get volume after 12 o'clock. And 2 o'clock it starts to distort. I think I'm going to send him the wah to look over cause I also got some scratchy pot thing going on and the tooth is slipping. Maybe he can tweak it and get it funkin again..  ???
Hey Happy did you ever get that Gig FX Chopper??

Happyorange27

Quote from: Helping Friendly on February 25, 2013, 05:01:42 PM
Hey Happy did you ever get that Gig FX Chopper??

Not yet but it's on my list.  I've got to think that is going to be the bee's knees.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

If I could do it again i'd definitely get the FL version of the RMC3, hands down. Controls are on the outside making the tweaking process exponentially easier! My old grey box didn't have an adapter either which kind of sucked too haha. I've spoken to Teese several times too, revamped my whole RMC3 for $50 shipped back and forth when the wah was close to 16 years old. Basically a new pedal!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Finally got the Microverb (26 days after ordering it).

I am loving this thing! I think I am going to sell my Strymon El Cap. The Microverb is just a perfect ambient, background 'delay.' Its dark and stays outta the way, has a cool texture - very dynamic, and I don't miss having a tap tempo thus far. I have an expression pedal on my El Cap to control the delay level, I think I will miss that more than tap tempo actually, but I think I can dial the Microverb in for a good enough balance that I don't need the expression control (I used the expression on the same setting 90% of the time with the El Cap anyway).

Trey's settings on the 'rig' page of this website are definitely accurate, although I was keeping the mix knob between 9 and 10 rather than at 10, which is a little too much.

I was also getting some ridiculous tones out of my Express Plus tonight - I was a bit frustrated earlier trying to balance the tone, but kinda learned a bit more about the tone knobs and found I got a warmer, smoother, slightly more compressed sound with them set low (I had the treble off already, but mid at 12 o'clock, which was still passing too much treble, I also have the bass nearly off too). I was getting super liquidy leads, so smooth its hard to tell if its clean or dirty, kinda between Trey and Michael Kang. But thats another story altogether - might have influenced my opinion on the Microverb though.

I'd definitely suggest trying out a Microverb though. For $50 you can't go wrong; just remember you either need a TB loop or a footswitch to kill/defeat the effect.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

cactuskeeb

I agree the Microverb is awesome.  It's still so cheap you can buy several of them and pick out the one you think sounds best.  No need for an effects loop, either.  Just make it your last unit on the chain.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: cactuskeeb on March 04, 2013, 06:07:18 PM
I agree the Microverb is awesome.  It's still so cheap you can buy several of them and pick out the one you think sounds best.  No need for an effects loop, either.  Just make it your last unit on the chain.

Then you would want the defeat switch - otherwise the effect would always be on.

Does it keep your dry signal analog? My first thought was that I doubt it would from that era (1980's), so I got a TB loop instead of a defeat swtich. However, the way that the first one I had broke - only passing drying signal - I thought maybe the dry was never converted to digital and thats why the dry was still there, just no reverb.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 05, 2013, 06:54:05 PM

Then you would want the defeat switch - otherwise the effect would always be on.

Does it keep your dry signal analog? My first thought was that I doubt it would from that era (1980's), so I got a TB loop instead of a defeat swtich. However, the way that the first one I had broke - only passing drying signal - I thought maybe the dry was never converted to digital and thats why the dry was still there, just no reverb.

In my case the effect is always on.  I don't have the luxury of natural reverb occurring due to my surroundings.  I'm playing my living room, not MSG.

But, yeah, you'd want to put it in a loop because it can't be turned off.  I would imagine the dry signal is passed through as analog, although the manual doesn't offer an answer on this.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 01, 2013, 09:03:18 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 05, 2013, 06:54:05 PM

In my case the effect is always on.  I don't have the luxury of natural reverb occurring due to my surroundings.  I'm playing my living room, not MSG.

But, yeah, you'd want to put it in a loop because it can't be turned off.  I would imagine the dry signal is passed through as analog, although the manual doesn't offer an answer on this.

Do you still use the reverse when its always on?

I usually keep the mix a little lower than suggested on the Trey's rig page (it says 10 o'clock, I am at about 9:30).

cactuskeeb