Treys wiring with OOP and Blender

Started by Helping Friendly, March 07, 2013, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

So my guitar is set up like trey's but not wired up yet. The only difference is my tone pot has a push/pull which I want to make an out of phase switch. And a separate blender knob. What else would I have to do to get the OOP and blender working? I want the Series/parallel and coil tap to go to the 2 mini toggles. And my OOP to go to the push/pull on my tone pot. And the Blender is its own knob. Can some one tell me if this diagram can be used the way it is with additional wiring for the blender and OOP? If I give the tech this diagram for the Coil tap and series/parallel and tell him to wire the rest do you think he will know how to do it and still wire it the way the diagram is? I would really like to have the tap and series/parallel wired this way but of course want to add the OOP and blender. Please help if you can. Thanks

Heady Jam Fan

I can't help much with the phase or blender - I actually don't know what a blender knob is, lol.

My only thought about the phase is that my initial thought - not based on anything at all honestly - is that it would have to be closer to the pickups in the circuit. Where the tone knob is seems to be too late in the circuit to flop phase; it has to have access to the separate leads from the pickup. Not sure if there is a way to do both, would expect a good tech could do it, but my guess is you need a separate control for it.

The only other thing I have aside from what Launguedoc doe is a parallel option in addition to coil tap (on the same switch, a 3-way toggle). Parallel not as loud as a single coil and fatter sounding (not as much as a humbucker), but less noisy. Its a useful option if there is a lot of RFI, but doesn't sound as good as coil drop.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Thanks for the reply.. A blender knob is what was on the old jazz basses. It lets you blend the pickups together in more acute ratios. Like a toggle switch is either 100% of Neck or Bridge, or 50% 50%. The blender lets you blend in say 65%-35% for example. Or any thing in between with consistent volume.. It comes in handy when OOP cause you can fine tune (to a certain extent) for a thicker OOP honk.

But anyway I just doped if off and the techs said they can wire it all up for me. They did say they will have to custom wire it and can't use the diagram. It kinda has me worried that they will tap the wrong coils than on the diagram. I wanted the coil closer to the neck tapped on with the bridge pup, and the coil closer to the bridge on the neck pup.

So the final price for all the wiring, a custom bone nut, a small crack on the headstock glued, the bridge installed and a set-up was $350. Did I get ripped off do you think?? I'll let you know how it comes out!

Heady Jam Fan

I would tap (send to ground) the opposite coil personally, but YMMV (or maybe we are saying the same thing, just using the term tap differently). $350 is pretty expensive, I have been quoted $200 for similar work, but paid a little as $40 for wiring on a hollowbody. Granted $40 is really cheap.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9