This rig is Full o' Tone

Started by fulltone1989, April 05, 2013, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

So after auditioning many delay pedals and a fair share of OD's, I think i've settled into something I can be happy with for a long time. I recently picked up the Rockett Blue Note and ARDX20 w/ amazeo and they both sound excellent in my setup.

Proton v3 - First off, I sent my filter to be pretty bubbly but also taking some of Jer's control settings. It sits nicely in funky jazz jams and although the knobs are sensitive and I use two settings on it, I could hold onto it if I keep playing this style for sure (I plan on it!) This and the analog delay is quite fun. Bought new

Mini Deja Vibe - First really got into Vibe by how Trey uses it. After much deliberation I decided to set it before my OD's to use primarily w/ light grit or clean. I also like it for those crazy distorted trippy sounds but the bulb pulsating is quite audible bc of amplification. It's definitely a fun pedal. Jumping back on the noise issue, I use the Fulltone supply but I also set the trim pot a little hotter and the vibe gets more swampy/machine gun tone. Bought used.

Polytune - Tunes me up and is pretty accurate and very small. True Bypass also. Bought new.

AM Silver OD - Used to be my base OD, you guys all know about the Silver TS9's this one is just true bypassed instead of buffered. That being said, since there are basically only TB pedals in my rig (ARDX20 is buffered when on) I am contemplating finding a Silver TS9 to trade or adding a buffer. I have it set now for light grit for chording or to goose the BN into higher gain tones (Imagine Meatstick opening chords) Bought used

Rockett Blue Note - Just picked this up, and it's a killer TS type pedal that does a helluva lot more. Set to medium gain, this is my new base OD for funky jazz tones. Cuts really well. Very tight bottom for delicate chords, and is super responsive. With the Hot switch this guy can get somewhat dumbley but retain it's own character. Add's these low mids that really fills out the tone and allows for endless sustain to be coaxed much easier. I've found a great setting all my own w/ the Hot switch similar to Sco/Duane Allman-esque that is unique for me - and that's what sold me on the pedal. Scofield using one didn't hurt either! Bought new.

Timmy - Excellent Transparent OD, set now to boost the BN or OD9 or as a standalone cleanish boost. Similar grit level to OD9. Bought new and waited on PaulC's list. I like to use this w/ the comp for a clear,present drive tone that I like to attribute to jerryish, but could be totally off.

CMATmods Compressor - Ross clone, somewhat noisy but it works well for my applications. Used in Trey/SD fashion. I like it for funky clean chords to keep the spikes in volume lower. Bought Used

AM ARDX20 w/ Amazeo - Very, very nice analog delay pedal. Two delays, one for slapback solos and the other for a warbly repeated delay. Lots of fun and inspirational to play with. I've only used the TT on the amazeo but it works great. 8 presets available but I only would use a handful live i'd imagine. Overall an excellent pedal that sits in the mix really well and can get super WeIrD if you want it to! Bough used as a package.

My ES-339 really shines in this rig, but the LP w/ Fillmores sounds amazing with the Blue Note; I could totally get through a gig w/ that, the Blue Note, and the ARDx20. Not really looking into other guitars besides maybe a carvin for a Wolf or Tiger style guitar.

W/ the Groove Tubes Soul-o 45, this pedalboard covers all my bases and is my main rig. With the Headstrong, I only use one drive at a time really or it gets flubby. I'm babysitting the Headstrong so no skin off my nose!

It's been a long road to get the board to where it is, and although tone is definitely a journey and not a destination; this is a big pitstop w/ a tasty diner.

I was really bored w/ Photoshop and my settings got screwed up but here's a pedalboard shot!

I'd really enjoy your insights, comments, and questions.

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Cool cool. No wah huh?  Did AM start making true bypass without the extra pop switch? Glad you have that compressor and Jamman Stereo.  ;D
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Good stuff, I was thinking it would be cool to play around with a Proton. Seems like it gets about 80-90% of Jerry's Mutron sound.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

I like your taste! I am using 5 of those same pedals!

Polytune
Proton
OD9 Silver
Timmy
ARDX20/Amazeo!

I use to have  a mini-dejavibe but now I have a SweetSound Mofaux Vibe

This pic is outdated. OCD is in the pic, but my OD9 is back on there now. And the Polytune.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on April 05, 2013, 10:37:06 PM
Cool cool. No wah huh?  Did AM start making true bypass without the extra pop switch? Glad you have that compressor and Jamman Stereo.  ;D

Thanks! I'm not sure I understand, my switch knowledge is pretty limited. It's True Bypass when the effect is off and buffered when it is on, but that's the case for most if not all true bypass pedals IIRC. The comp is solid! I like having the tone knob to brighten the comp. I haven't been using the jam man as much as I liked, but it's an awesome practice/writing tool! I like saving riffs or chord progressions so I don't forget them.

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on April 06, 2013, 01:03:41 AM
Good stuff, I was thinking it would be cool to play around with a Proton. Seems like it gets about 80-90% of Jerry's Mutron sound.

Thanks Heady! The Proton is very fun to jam with. I had a v1 for awhile and it got me very close, so when the v3 came out with the decay knob it was a no-brainer. It does that as well as Bobby's filter tone pretty well. I think that reverse filter on Dancing in the Streets live for example is him. Anyways, it's very different from a standard wah but I like it.

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 06, 2013, 04:09:52 PM
I like your taste! I am using 5 of those same pedals!

Polytune
Proton
OD9 Silver
Timmy
ARDX20/Amazeo!

I use to have  a mini-dejavibe but now I have a SweetSound Mofaux Vibe

This pic is outdated. OCD is in the pic, but my OD9 is back on there now. And the Polytune.

Nice board! How do you like the loopmaster vs before the loopmaster? The Mofaux vibe looks very "sweet," for the size it looks like a great option. What would you compare it to?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

picture_of_nectar

I've grown to like the loopmaster. Mainly for quick switching, and I suppose it cuts down on the number of connections when everything is off. The switches are a little loud which kinda sucks for quiet playing and recording. It's become an integral part of my playing just because I'm use to where the buttons are and don't have to reach far to turn on/off the modulation pedals.

The only other vibe I've had was the mini déjà-vibe, which to me sounded more like my Analogman Chorus pedal. The MoFaux is kinda similar to my Phase90, but slightly different.

I just spent 3hrs trying to reorganize my board and just ended up right back where I started. Lol!

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 06, 2013, 07:14:31 PM
I've grown to like the loopmaster. Mainly for quick switching, and I suppose it cuts down on the number of connections when everything is off. The switches are a little loud which kinda sucks for quiet playing and recording. It's become an integral part of my playing just because I'm use to where the buttons are and don't have to reach far to turn on/off the modulation pedals.

The only other vibe I've had was the mini déjà-vibe, which to me sounded more like my Analogman Chorus pedal. The MoFaux is kinda similar to my Phase90, but slightly different.

I just spent 3hrs trying to reorganize my board and just ended up right back where I started. Lol!

Yeah it definitely helps with the chain length, does yours have a master bypass? Haha I totally know what you mean about organizing the board, I knew the vibe and amazeo controller should go on the bottom row so the switches and knobs are easier to get at. I like switching my dirt around too so having the BN and OD9 easily reachable work was also a necessity. I'm just wary of ziptieing everything down because as soon as I do that I know I may swap something around or a cable might fail.

Working on a video/audio sample!

picture_of_nectar

It does...Mastee Bypass is a great feature for dropping straight to clean with one click.

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 06, 2013, 08:54:27 PM
It does...Mastee Bypass is a great feature for dropping straight to clean with one click.

That's cool! My board is pretty full-up and idk if a loopmaster would fit. If anything it'd be cool to check out a smaller 2 loop w/ master bypass. Mod in 1 and OD's in 2.

picture_of_nectar

If you look closely, we have the same board. The Pedaltrain 2.

I've got 11 pedals plus the loopmaster on there. You've got 8. I think you could get a switcher on there too, just might have to play around with how it's organized.

Power was tricky, since the PedalPower only has 8 jacks. I daisy chained a 1 Spot to one of them that powers the tuner, Loopmaster(lights), Amazeo and Trem. And I have one extra that connects my sidecar board.

Sidecar board is a PTJr and includes the Vibe, Hall Of Fame, Flashback, and Boomerang3

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 07, 2013, 12:00:13 PM
If you look closely, we have the same board. The Pedaltrain 2.

I've got 11 pedals plus the loopmaster on there. You've got 8. I think you could get a switcher on there too, just might have to play around with how it's organized.

Power was tricky, since the PedalPower only has 8 jacks. I daisy chained a 1 Spot to one of them that powers the tuner, Loopmaster(lights), Amazeo and Trem. And I have one extra that connects my sidecar board.

Sidecar board is a PTJr and includes the Vibe, Hall Of Fame, Flashback, and Boomerang3

Oh very nice, do you have the sidecar for the Boomerang? This board is a PT-1, I love the size because it really limits my pedal gas.

picture_of_nectar

Yeah, I'll take a picture of it. It's basically a Pedaltrain Mini, with the Rang3 and 3 Mod pedals on it.

I don't always bring it to every rehearsal and gig, it's kind of my "toy" rig for more spacey/ambient stuff. Pedals that aren't really part of my core tone.

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 07, 2013, 05:06:24 PM
Yeah, I'll take a picture of it. It's basically a Pedaltrain Mini, with the Rang3 and 3 Mod pedals on it.

I don't always bring it to every rehearsal and gig, it's kind of my "toy" rig for more spacey/ambient stuff. Pedals that aren't really part of my core tone.

Very cool, I only really use the jamman for writing/practicing over jazz tunes but loopers are awesome pedals. The JM Stereo has an XLR input which I put an SM57 in to record acoustic tones/vocals (til I get a vocal mic)