Main Menu

New guitar!!

Started by TheSeeker, June 15, 2013, 03:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

Does anyone know anything about the RM Olson "Doc" clones?  I just bought one on ebay and it looks really nice!  I'm gonna change out the pups and change the tailpiece to an ebony one.  Right now I believe it's metal.  I've looked for reviews, and there seems to be good reviews for the other clones he builds but I haven't been able to find too much info on the "doc" clone.  Here's some pics:

PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Nice - I saw that on eBay!

I haven't heard any reviews, but I wondered about his guitars. People seem to like them more than Phred guitars and the construction seems a bit better, but (as there always is) there are people who turn their nose up at RM Olson and say he has the guitars built in China and no longer even works on the guitars himself.

I have mixed feelings about guitars - at least for solidbody guitars - I think a cheap one can be just as good a pricey one. For hollowbody guitars, I think the construction is a bit more important. But in the end, I suspect its hard to beat the value (bang for buck) of an RM Olson for a 'Doc style guitar - hollowbodies are ridiculously pricey, especially once you start looking for specific details like a smaller body size, routing for all the knobs/switches, fret scale, separate back and sides (rather than a "chambered" guitar), etc.

I think you probably did pretty well for yourself as long as the body is resonant (start feeling the body vibrate as you hold a note - infinite sustain and octave-above feedback) and you like the sound!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 15, 2013, 03:15:28 PM

I haven't heard any reviews, but I wondered about his guitars. People seem to like them more than Phred guitars and the construction seems a bit better, but (as there always is) there are people who turn their nose up at RM Olson and say he has the guitars built in China and no longer even works on the guitars himself.

I have mixed feelings about guitars - at least for solidbody guitars - I think a cheap one can be just as good a pricey one. For hollowbody guitars, I think the construction is a bit more important. But in the end, I suspect its hard to beat the value (bang for buck) of an RM Olson for a 'Doc style guitar - hollowbodies are ridiculously pricey, especially once you start looking for specific details like a smaller body size, routing for all the knobs/switches, fret scale, separate back and sides (rather than a "chambered" guitar), etc.

I think you probably did pretty well for yourself as long as the body is resonant (start feeling the body vibrate as you hold a note - infinite sustain and octave-above feedback) and you like the sound!

Yeah I never liked the Phred guitars...they just looked like plastic toys!  The construction on these does look to be alot more solid also.  I know I'm gonna need to put some work into it, but we'll see how it sounds after that.  I got it at a pretty good price, so i figure if I don't like it I can always put it back on ebay.  I'll let you know how it is when i get it.  I almost feel guilty for using a "doc" clone.. :-\
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: TheSeeker on June 15, 2013, 05:50:44 PM

Yeah I never liked the Phred guitars...they just looked like plastic toys!  The construction on these does look to be alot more solid also.  I know I'm gonna need to put some work into it, but we'll see how it sounds after that.  I got it at a pretty good price, so i figure if I don't like it I can always put it back on ebay.  I'll let you know how it is when i get it.  I almost feel guilty for using a "doc" clone.. :-\

Cool - I'll look forward to your review. I was thinking the same thing - worst comes to worst you can sell it for about what you paid.

I think Paul is probably doing alright for himself - can't be too surprised there are clones when his guitars cost $10K
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

webephishin

It looks pretty sweet!  How does it feel so far?  How much did you pay for it?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

TheSeeker

Quote from: webephishin on June 15, 2013, 07:25:42 PM
It looks pretty sweet!  How does it feel so far?  How much did you pay for it?

Haven't got it yet....I paid $700 for it so we shall see it if it was worth it!!

webephishin

This octave-above feedback you speak of....do you have any tips on how to get that? Can I buy that in the store??  ;) Obviously Trey can get it whenever he wants but it's hard for me to get it down with my semi-hollow....
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: webephishin on June 15, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

This octave-above feedback you speak of....do you have any tips on how to get that? Can I buy that in the store??  ;) Obviously Trey can get it whenever he wants but it's hard for me to get it down with my semi-hollow....

I think it would be a lot easier with a fully hollow guitar - not sure how much the fact that your guitar is semi-hollow affects your ability to get feedback, but I can feel my guitar starting to vibrate as it starts to feedback.

There are a lot of things that help control feedback like the position in which your standing (relative to the speaker) and where your picking arm is relative to the f-hole. In other words, you can avoid feedback my keeping your arm in front of the f-hole and not letting the speaker point right at the f-hole. Conversely, lifting your picking arm away from the f-hole and turning the guitar toward the speaker should help get some feedback.

I also feel like there are some subtle things I do with my fretting hand, but its hard to explain...

Other things - you can turn up your compressor a bit (I keep mine low though) and/or the volume on the amp (Trey doesn't keep his amp super loud, but obviously has monitors and stuff on stage, which could lead to feedback too).

I posted something I recorded several months ago (it was a single take jam) - but on the first lead track, I left a note sustaining / feeding back throughout the entire rest of the song - literally infinite sustain :D