New Guy, here's what I got

Started by No Nice Guy, July 28, 2013, 06:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

http://i.imgur.com/QPhAq6f.jpg

For the guitar, it's one of those Phred Instruments thingies.  I run it through a tuner, a pair of TS9's (one has that analogman SILVER thing).  From there it goes to the Crybaby, into this old ME thing my dad gave me a while ago.  Then I put it through the Vol pedal, and then it hits the Blues Jr.

For bass, it goes from a Charvel B-2, through one of those Boss Bass synths, and into some cheap Ampeg Bass amp I got from a local store for 40 bucks.

I'd have used IMG tags, but the picture always seems to end up being huge, and I can't figure out how to resize it.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Happyorange27

Welcome man. You are off to a good start. Nice soldering iron!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 28, 2013, 06:58:44 PM
Welcome man. You are off to a good start. Nice soldering iron!
Thanks.  I need to get better with that thing, that way I can build my Ross Clone kit I bought.

Or I could wait until I start school again and pay an EE student 10 bucks to do it for me. 

Also, sadly, that ME unit (which I relied on for chorus, flanger, compression, delay, non-spring reverb, noise suppression, and an EQ) died not too long ago.  So, now I have an excuse to buy a new toy or five!

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

No Nice Guy

Oh, also, I'm about to move to a much smaller place, and can't figure out if I should take the Blues Jr or this Mesa/Boogie F30 my cousin is offering me.  Anyone used an F30 able to review how it is?

TheSeeker

Quote from: No Nice Guy on July 28, 2013, 10:29:09 PM
Oh, also, I'm about to move to a much smaller place, and can't figure out if I should take the Blues Jr or this Mesa/Boogie F30 my cousin is offering me.  Anyone used an F30 able to review how it is?

Welcome aboard!!  I can't really say much about the F30....I used to own an F100 and it was a great amp, but I ended up having to sell it due to financial problems.  I now have a Fender HRD.  I put a 50w Weber Blue Dog in it, and wouldn't trade it for anything!  How are those Phred guitars?  I just recently bought an RM Olson clone.  I'm almost done with the finish, and then I'm having a good friend of mine doing all the wiring.  It's completely hollow, and came with all the hardware.  However, I bought a set of SD 59's and replaced all the switches with Switchcraft and CTS pots.  I have a guy that I found on the internet carving me a beautiful ebony tailpiece and bridge.  I can't wait until it's all put together!!  Anyway, welcome once again!!  There's a lot of cool, knowledgeable people on here that can help you out with pretty much anything!!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

No Nice Guy

Quote from: TheSeeker on July 29, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Welcome aboard!!  I can't really say much about the F30....I used to own an F100 and it was a great amp, but I ended up having to sell it due to financial problems.  I now have a Fender HRD.  I put a 50w Weber Blue Dog in it, and wouldn't trade it for anything!  How are those Phred guitars?  I just recently bought an RM Olson clone.  I'm almost done with the finish, and then I'm having a good friend of mine doing all the wiring.  It's completely hollow, and came with all the hardware.  However, I bought a set of SD 59's and replaced all the switches with Switchcraft and CTS pots.  I have a guy that I found on the internet carving me a beautiful ebony tailpiece and bridge.  I can't wait until it's all put together!!  Anyway, welcome once again!!  There's a lot of cool, knowledgeable people on here that can help you out with pretty much anything!!

Thanks for the welcome.

The Phred is great.  Of the three guitars I've owned, it's easily the best.  Honestly, I'd put it up against most high end Gibsons and Fenders, even.  The build quality is really stunning given the price and stuff.  I mean, it doesn't really sound like a real 'Doc (I got to play one once, it was everything I expected), but it totally gets the job done.  Sure, it's not completely hollow, but the stock pups are great, and the pots, switches, and the jack are nice enough that I can justify being too lazy to replace them.

TheSeeker

Quote from: No Nice Guy on July 29, 2013, 04:54:19 AM
Quote from: TheSeeker on July 29, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

The Phred is great.  Of the three guitars I've owned, it's easily the best.  Honestly, I'd put it up against most high end Gibsons and Fenders, even.  The build quality is really stunning given the price and stuff.  I mean, it doesn't really sound like a real 'Doc (I got to play one once, it was everything I expected), but it totally gets the job done.  Sure, it's not completely hollow, but the stock pups are great, and the pots, switches, and the jack are nice enough that I can justify being too lazy to replace them.

Man, I would love to get my hands on a real "doc"...if only for a second.  I think I'd be too scared to even touch it...lol.  I remember the first time I picked up a PRS Hollowbody, my hands were shakin like leaf!  What kind of pups do they use in the Phreds?  Does it have all the switching options?
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

Welcome to the forum! The F30's are nice amps..
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Welcome aboard!

Can you grab your B Jr and side-by-side test against the F30?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 29, 2013, 09:50:49 AM
Welcome aboard!

Can you grab your B Jr and side-by-side test against the F30?

Seems like the obvious thing to do, but I really can't.  I'm thinking I'll go with the F30, because it seems good, with the multi channels, and such.  If I regret the choice I'll just bring it back when I visit for the December holidays.

Happyorange27

I'm more of a BJ kinda guy but I've never tried the other.  Also my BJ is heavily modified.  I love BJs!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

No Nice Guy

No Nice Guy

Quote from: TheSeeker on July 29, 2013, 05:39:49 AM
What kind of pups do they use in the Phreds?  Does it have all the switching options?

I don't know what kind, actually.  It's got a pair of series/parallel switches just like the real Docs.  As soon as I get rich enough (as soon as I find a better job) I'm probably gonna get a pair of 4 wire Duncan 59's.  Only complaint is that when it showed up one of the tuners was a bit loose (I assume it was a shipping issue, it was shipped to NYC in the middle of Hurricane Sandy, and hit a few rough patches).

No Nice Guy

Update:

So the whole F30 thing didn't work out, so I'll be sticking with the Blues Jr.

In other news, my ME unit died, so I've replaced it with a Whammy V, and I love it.

Also, got a really nice Thinline Tele:

And lastly, recommend me some delay pedals please.  I'm looking at the TC Electronics Flashback atm, anyone have it?

fulltone1989

Nice nice nice! The Flashback is very sweet, I owned a few during my delay quest and for the money and amount of good tones it's tough to beat. True Stereo pedal too is very nice, the toneprint app is very sweet too.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.