Main Menu

Ross voltage?

Started by Helping Friendly, August 21, 2013, 09:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

Hello peeps. I was wondering if someone knew what was the max voltage you can run the Ross? Tonight I had my Taiwanese Ross running at 16v instead of 9v for a short time and really loved the difference. It had a much tighter and deeper bass response as well as overall thickness. Much more pronounced.

Anyway I know some of you just have to look at the capacitors inside and could calculate the max (safest) voltage to run at. It looks like the 6 filter caps are all 50v (1uF). If 16v is running to high, I'm seriously thinking about changing the caps to make it safely work.

So if it's safe, and you have a compatible power supply, I suggest you experiment. After doing this I'm convinced Trey is doing it!

PS- while we're on the subject this wouldn't be the first mod I've done to it so far.(sorry Seeker) I've learned if you change one of the resistors value (150k) to a lower value (eg: 10k) it alters the recovery time it takes the circuit to react to the *next* note the way it reacted to the first one. There has been much discussion on this over at diystompboxes.com. I indeed have done this and think it made a great improvement as well. Many people call it an "attack" mod, but it really is shorting the time it takes the capacitor to "release" and be ready to "squash" quicker. If someone is interested in this I can put up a pic of the correct resistor to the change. I also suggest searching this topic at diy and reading up on it. I have to say if I had an original grey Ross I probly woulda never soldered new parts in it. But I figure what the hell it was only $150 (shout out to Seeker again!).

Could Red be doing this mod also??? We'll never know, but I think it improved mine.
(do at your own risk, please don't blame me if you brake something  :-[

Heady Jam Fan

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

I've done the "attack" mod on a couple dyna comps. 2 resistors and a 3 way switch so you get stock, quick, or long. I agree it sounds really good. You can really get a clickety clack thing going with the pick attack. As far as trey having his modded, I doubt it.  Voltage wise, I'm not going to be the guy that tells you it's ok, then something goes wrong and you're all sour d is an asshole! (I think it should be fine. Try a 12v)
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

TheSeeker

Mod it up!!  That's good info, although I'll probably never do anything to my grey Ross.  I'd be too scared and I think it sounds great as is.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Helping Friendly

Ok so I have a problem and need help. It seems the volume pot on my Ross has broke and beyond fixing. can someone please point me in the right direction on a direct replacement? I know its a 50K auidio pot but I want to get the right size and everything so there are no issues when I solder it in. Please Help! Thanks

TheSeeker

Damn dude, how did that happen?  I might have one in my box of misc. parts........if I do, give me your address and I'll ship it up to you.   :)
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

sour d

Quote from: Helping Friendly on August 29, 2013, 09:40:27 PM
Ok so I have a problem and need help. It seems the volume pot on my Ross has broke and beyond fixing. can someone please point me in the right direction on a direct replacement? I know its a 50K auidio pot but I want to get the right size and everything so there are no issues when I solder it in. Please Help! Thanks

Any luck finding one? I have a ross distortion that I am going to re-house. It uses the same pot. I can pull it for you if you need.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Helping Friendly

Yes I got it all up and running again with a new pot. Thanks Sour!