Main Menu

moe.stash

Started by sour d, November 09, 2009, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

In case you haven't heard it yet, here's moe. playing some phish on halloween.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mzy2vnygwlj/moe2009-10-31d2t02.mp3
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

strangedesign

they have been playing that at a lot of there shows this tour.

Here is the vid from halloween
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmzgndeWHCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT5h5lqLkjI
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

I gotta say, this only confirms my "meh" taste for Moe.  In fact, I think a Moe. show is the only show I've ever walked out of (and while I'm on the subject of walking out of places & random facts of the day, I just remembered that "The Bird Cage" is the only movie I've ever walked out of - how 'bout you?)

Regardless, that Stash is fairly weak....and I'm not trying to pick on the guys, but it's quite nicked up.  This is the only version I've heard them do, but if the rest are anywhere near this one, I'd be bummed & let down if I heard this at a show.  It's like someone telling you they've brought you a homemade apple pie and then turning out to be a turd sandwich.   Not cool man, not cool.  I applaude their efforts, but don't play it if you can't justify it.

PS - I say this all without having listened to the jam.  I got to the end of the interlude there and turned it off.  So maybe I'll listen to the jam to see if they salvage any of it.  Then again, maybe not.  Stay tuned.   :-\
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

TheCrimsonKing

Hmm, I don't hear what's so wrong with it, But to each his own. I personally think it's pretty good.

Poster

No Walker is right. Its a terrible cover. The jam has no life to it and the beginning feels forced somehow. If your going to cover some Phish is such a setting let the energy of the room push the pace, dont force your way through the notes. But I, like Walker, have also walked out of bad Moe shows before.

Happyorange27

The beginning is painful; harmonies sound odd.  Sounds like the guitars where using my op-amp ass rig:)  The jam isn't too bad, but not amazing.  They sent a boy to do a man's job.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

patrickstefanski

I like moe.
But they aren't Phish, so when they cover Phish it will still sound like moe.   Worse? Depends on who you ask.
I'm sure if Phish covered Scarlet-->Fire a lot of Dead heads would say it was terrible, "OMG THAT GUY NEEDS TO PLAY LESS NOTES, GIVE THE OTHER GUYS A VOICE TOO"  etc.    would they be right?

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

raisingfreen

How many of the members on here actually cover phish songs live? Anyone actually tackle Stash live before? If so let us take a listen. I bet we would all be very nice in the critique. Or maybe there would be absolute candor?

I think sometimes we have really high expectations from bands like Moe, Cheese, Phish etc... Precisely because they tend to take risks with covers, jams etc... I would imagine in the context of being at a Moe holloween show, having a few beers maybe a puff and a slightly less critical persona going into the show, that it may have actually been cool or at least not a total let down. I agree with Walker about sometimes walking out of a show however, if its really bad, its bad. I have done that more than once at WSP shows, but not just based on a single song selection or cover.

Or put another way. Would you rather have to sit through Moe playing "Stash" or Phish Playing "Jennifer Dances"? Yikes!
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

yeah but at one of these bars the audience didnt pay like 40 fucking dollars to get pissed in the ear.

ive walked out on moe several times. iam just dumb enough to give them another chance every couple of moons. walker and I both want to like moe. i love their albums. but sorry man, they are just

going through the paces, and making a check. at least when ive seen um, aside from one show at the bl. st. music fest, it was just painful to watch.

ive seen blues traveler butcher a set of their own shit before too, same with P funk, etc etc etc Moe isnt special in that regard.

But yeah, at least in my band, we dont cover any of my favorite phish songs. we just play the most mindless, danceable phish songs possible, so the people can groove. "sharing the groove"  8)

i would rather be writing my own music that picking apart some incredibly complex piece of someone else's music and teaching a band how to play that "differently" at every show. lol. they arent

wookies. there is always a compromise. but yeah, play whatever you want man, music is like water and all the shit.

Walker done done

Quote from: raisingfreen on September 22, 2010, 11:30:10 AM
How many of the members on here actually cover phish songs live? Anyone actually tackle Stash live before? If so let us take a listen. I bet we would all be very nice in the critique. Or maybe there would be absolute candor?

I think sometimes we have really high expectations from bands like Moe, Cheese, Phish etc... Precisely because they tend to take risks with covers, jams etc... I would imagine in the context of being at a Moe holloween show, having a few beers maybe a puff and a slightly less critical persona going into the show, that it may have actually been cool or at least not a total let down. I agree with Walker about sometimes walking out of a show however, if its really bad, its bad. I have done that more than once at WSP shows, but not just based on a single song selection or cover.

Or put another way. Would you rather have to sit through Moe playing "Stash" or Phish Playing "Jennifer Dances"? Yikes!

If I could get Heavy Dime to play anything remotely complicated like Stash, trust me...I would.  There are so many of the more difficult tunes I'd like to tackle but you can only work with what you've got sometimes.  As you know raisinfreen I was fortunate enough to get some of that stuff off my chest at last year's Libbypalooza, which was undoubtedly my own personal highlight in terms of music.  Funny enough, we (Heavy Dime) were doing a Dm bossa nova jam a couple of weeks ago & our keyboardist was vamping on "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" (a common theme for him sometimes).  Well, I was able to sneakily throw the entire Stash piece in there (sans the middle scripted walk-up part and the actual jam at the very end) which was so much fun.  The bassist and drummer caught on fairly quickly but I don't know if our keys player even knows what Stash is so he continued with the Low Spark "jam" over it, and it sounded pretty sweet. 

As for Phish/Trey songs covered by Heavy Dime (past or present):

Alaska
Backwards Down The Number Line
Bathtub Gin
Birds Of A Feather
Chalk Dust Torture
Crimes of the Mind
Destiny Unbound (coming soon...I hope!  the band has a tendency to not want to do obscure Phish...I'm fighting it!)
Gotta Jibboo
Gumbo
Kill Devil Falls
Mike's Song
Sample In A Jar
Sand
Suzy Greenberg
Timber Ho
Waste
Weekapaug Groove

Drifting
Shine
Sweet Dreams Melinda

There's also a ton of covers that we do that Phish also did/does.  Granted, there's a number of these that were one-timers, but also some that are staples.

Crosseyed & Painless
Rock and Roll
The Old Home Place
Funky Bitch
Cool It Down
Shine A Light
Rocks Off
Loving Cup
Sweet Virginia
Instant Karma
Cities
Roses Are Free
Quinn The Eskimo
Psycho Killer
Billie Jean
I Am The Walrus
Glass Onion
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Back In The USSR
Ob-la-di Ob-la-da
Life During Wartime
Down By The River
Money
Highway To Hell
Whipping Post
LA Woman

Alright I'm done, this could go on forever...lol
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

And hey just to clarify, I'm not trying to dump on Moe.  I do like and very much respect those dudes, but half the time I've seen them I haven't been all that impressed, and the other half of the times I've seen them they smoked (appx. 8 shows total? maybe 10?)  I seem to never know what I'm gonna get with those guys.  And for the record I don't follow them too much and don't have many of their records/live shows, so my opinion is definitely limited and it could be that I just don't know their music enough to be able to say one way or the other.  Without confirming the setlists, I could very easily say that maybe one reason I thought the "good" shows I've seen had many songs that I knew or liked in that night's setlist, and maybe the "bad" shows I've seen had much less of this aspect.  Who knows.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

raisingfreen

So we have MOE covering Stash. Outside of DMB covering Waste, has there been any other major touring band cover a Phish song? Has SCI done any? I seem to recall they have but it may have been they just did a few similar covers that Phish has done as well. Has any major touring band done one really well? (outside of "Sharin in the Groove" as that was a studio album) Phish has been around long enough that it seems acceptable for other big touring bands to cover them just like they would others.

BTW, Heavy Dime can do any cover they want, even when its bad, it's still pretty damn good! More Steely is always welcome too.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

patrickstefanski

I've seen Keller Williams do a pretty cool Phish medley...runaway jim, antelope and something else.

As usual, he completely makes it his own and it's really awesome.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

Quote from: patrickstefanski on September 27, 2010, 04:18:35 PM
As usual, he completely makes it his own and it's really awesome.

Me too, and agreed.  He's got such a nice refreshing unique spin on things.  Did you see his recent video where he chose a "random" winner out of a hat (a box)?  Completely hilarious.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Walker done done

Quote from: raisingfreen on September 27, 2010, 04:13:06 PM
So we have MOE covering Stash. Outside of DMB covering Waste, has there been any other major touring band cover a Phish song? Has SCI done any? I seem to recall they have but it may have been they just did a few similar covers that Phish has done as well. Has any major touring band done one really well? (outside of "Sharin in the Groove" as that was a studio album) Phish has been around long enough that it seems acceptable for other big touring bands to cover them just like they would others.

BTW, Heavy Dime can do any cover they want, even when its bad, it's still pretty damn good! More Steely is always welcome too.

I am not aware of any other big bands covering Phish off hand.  Oh wait, didn't The Breakfast cover Lawn Boy in it's entirety on Halloween a year ago?  I believe it was them, and it was fucking sick.  I saw some brief youtube vid of them doing Reba.  Wow.  Other than them, I can't think of any.

And thanks for the kudos!  My next prefered Steely Dan cover would be Green Earrings.  Love that tune.  What did you have in mind?

Loop 3 Boomerang+