Song Writing

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, November 06, 2010, 04:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

So I've been on a nice little songwriting kick lately and have been really satisfied with what I've got.  The only problem I'm having is writing what I guess would be called bridges.  I know absolutely no music theory and am going totally on just what im hearing in my head.  I'm having no problem writing verses, choruses and jams, but am having trouble segueing each part into another.  Anybody have experience with this or could offer some tips that would help?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

fluffhead4020

I suppose if you want to link a verse to a chorus, you could have a "build-up bridge". Where you could possibly go up chromatically or whatever. Or have a key change for a phrase, then return into the verse or chorus. It'd be kind of hard to verbally help you out without hearing what you already have written, but I hope this helps.

Happyorange27

If you are trying to get the chords or the verse and the chorus to match better, and be more seamless, check to see if the key is the same between them or different.  If they are different (Like verse in C and Chorus in A for example) then maybe change the key of one element to get a nice transition so that they are the same.  With that said, sometimes a completely different key is cool for a chorus, but you have to like it.

As far as a bridge, there is no shame in studying other songs you like to see what they do.  Sometimes it's just a coulple of other chords in the mode that move around for 8 or 16 bars.  If you are playing in the key of C, then these are your availbable chords: C Dm Em F G Am Bdim.   Again, these are only suggestions.  So here is a fake song I just made up in my head. 

Verse: F C Am G
Chorus: G Em C D (see i change key) but still not wacky
Bridge: Bm G Bm G Bm E (another change) 
or staying in C try
Bridge: C Am Dm G

I hope this helps you.  Songwriting is an art that takes practice.  It will get better with experience.

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

beebs

Remember that it will sound a lot more fluid with a drummer that can provide a nice fill when switching musical ideas.
Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

fulltone1989

ii V I progressions can hop you right into a different key whenever you want, or provide a nice sequence to a bridge or whatever you want. Feel free to PM me for an explanation, as I don't have a guitar in front of me (lame excuse I know but I'm very visual when it comes to that sort of thing_
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.