Best pedalboards?

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, December 16, 2012, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

Getting a new one.  What are the best?  Looking to spend no more than $400.  I've been looking at this one so far...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/skb-ps-45-professional-pedalboard

I'd like to try to fit tuner-wah-compressor-ts9-ts9-boomerang on it. 
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

the_great_lemon

Lots of guys on here (myself included) and TGP will recommend a Pedaltrain board of some variety.  I use a PT-2 and fit all the pedals in my signature on it with some room to spare.  Only thing to keep in mind with a PT frame is that a power supply will be necessary. 

Judging from the pedals you have, you could get away with a Fuel Tank Jr. or an Voodoo Lab Iso-5, but that does not leave much room to expand if you ever get some GAS so a VL Pedal Power 2+ might be the right thing to go for.  I would recommend an isolated power supply of this variety over a One Spot.  Once I switched from a daisy-chain power supply to a PP2+ much of the background noise I didn't  even realize was there disappeared.

Hopefully this helps!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thanks man.  Ended up going with the pedaltrain pro and a voodoo lab pedal power.  Is there anything I should know about mounting the power supply to the board?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

the_great_lemon

Cool! Welcome to the club 8) I would just say to make sure you mark the holes very carefully and accurately before drilling, and do your best to hold the drill as perpendicular as possible to make sure the holes are straight.  I rushed a bit and now only 3 of the screws fit properly.  The good news is it still gets held in place very nicely with 3 screws!   ;D

With such a large boards to fill....are you planning any major pedal purchases in the near future?  If so, I might recommend a delay pedal of some sort.  Congrats on the new purchase!!!
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper

fulltone1989

You just have to use a drill to install the VL to the underside. I used these small 1/2" black screws used for holding houses together, the name is escaping me, but they negated the issue of having to drill a pilot hole for the screws that PT includes. I'd also recommend zip ties!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thanks for the info! Yea i've got a whammy II that just needs to be fixed and that'll be on there if I can fit it.  Can I fit all the stuff in my tagline along with the whammy II on that board? 

A delay or a volume pedal is definetly the next purchase I'll be making.  Right now I use the boomerang's backwards effect turned way down as a sort of delay and it sounds pretty good.  Any suggestions on delay and volume pedals?

the_great_lemon

Never used a volume pedal but the Dunlop one looks pretty sturdy.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/dunlop-dvp1-volume-guitar-effects-pedal

For delay, are you looking for just background delay? or more syncopated stuff with tap tempo? For background stuff the MXR carbon copy is my favorite, so much so I have 2!

fulltone1989

I used the Morley mini volume, worked fine for me but some may not like the sweep of it. It's optical, so less tone suckage maybe? I dunno your best bet is to go the GC path w/ the 30 day return policy.

Everything should fit on the PT-Pro just nice! I had a Whammy II and had the damndest time getting it fixed.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.