Another Adamas pick thread..

Started by Helping Friendly, October 28, 2013, 09:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

Hello my people. So I've been going through picks recently and have been pretty comfortable with some and not with others. I STILL have never tried a Adamas pick though. Some I have now are Jazz III (all types) Every Telefunkin grafite, Pickboy's, Dunlop Ultex, Cool Picks, V-Pick, John Petrucci Jazz and a few others. I have to say lately I'm really digging the John Petrucci picks right now. I know nothing about him as an artist and not sure I would really like his genre of music but I can say I dig the picks. They are a smidge bigger than a regular Jazz III and have a polished tip. They actual really feel similar to graphite in touch and in tone.

So anyway I just want to throw this out there, I have a good collection at this point and was hoping one of you guys would be interested in making a trade? Any one of my picks (your choice), for a real original Adamas graphite pick? I know there have been some fakes and also some reproductions out there. I am kind of on a budget right now and don't want to have to buy a whole pack just in case they don't bond with me. So let me know if your interested... Thanks

PS- I can also upload The Worchester MA shows that just past if you weren't there as a bonus!!

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Helping Friendly on October 28, 2013, 09:36:05 PM
Hello my people. So I've been going through picks recently and have been pretty comfortable with some and not with others. I STILL have never tried a Adamas pick though. Some I have now are Jazz III (all types) Every Telefunkin grafite, Pickboy's, Dunlop Ultex, Cool Picks, V-Pick, John Petrucci Jazz and a few others. I have to say lately I'm really digging the John Petrucci picks right now. I know nothing about him as an artist and not sure I would really like his genre of music but I can say I dig the picks. They are a smidge bigger than a regular Jazz III and have a polished tip. They actual really feel similar to graphite in touch and in tone.

So anyway I just want to throw this out there, I have a good collection at this point and was hoping one of you guys would be interested in making a trade? Any one of my picks (your choice), for a real original Adamas graphite pick? I know there have been some fakes and also some reproductions out there. I am kind of on a budget right now and don't want to have to buy a whole pack just in case they don't bond with me. So let me know if your interested... Thanks

PS- I can also upload The Worchester MA shows that just past if you weren't there as a bonus!!

The 2mm version of these are the best picks hands down IMO

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-475-Big-Stubby-Guitar-Picks-110096-i1123477.gc
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

TheSeeker

I'm really diggin the pickboys for what I'm doing now.  They're small, so I don't trip over the strings much.  I have a bunch of repro Adamas 2mm, if you wanna trade for those.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

Those Telefunken ones look cool, are they 2mm? I kinda wanna shave down an adamas to see if it makes a difference as I trip over strings every now and then.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ShockedAndPersuaded

I've been using wood picks for the last two years and love them. They're made from lignum vitae. You can find them at surfpick.com. Ra is a super nice guy and cuts you some slack on quantity orders. They're a little pricey but worth every penny to me. It's the feel of a pick with the soft tone of finger picking. Pretty cool.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Stecks

Up until 2012 or this year I played only Adamas.   I've been experimenting with coconut, bone, buffalo horn, as well as rose & iron wood.  Lignum vitae, if I'm not mistaken, is an iron wood.  Not sure which species of ironwood I've been playing but I'd imagine that its similar.

Mostly, though, I've been going thumb and fingers, pickless.  My main guitar "inner circle" makes fun of me for still playing with picks.  This is known as them "being dicks"

The Adamas is my blankey, I suppose.  I feel safe with it.  Its familiar. 

Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Helping Friendly

Quote from: TheSeeker on October 28, 2013, 11:07:42 PM
I'm really diggin the pickboys for what I'm doing now.  They're small, so I don't trip over the strings much.  I have a bunch of repro Adamas 2mm, if you wanna trade for those.

Yea man I can send one over to you for sure. I'll PM u my adress if you want to do the same?

PS- Can anyone really confirm if the Repo Adama's are any different than the originals? Anyone have an original they can spare so I can compare? I'm a poet and didn't know it!

Helping Friendly

Quote from: fulltone1989 on October 29, 2013, 09:07:02 AM
Those Telefunken ones look cool, are they 2mm? I kinda wanna shave down an adamas to see if it makes a difference as I trip over strings every now and then.

Yes I believe the ones I got are 2mm except for the fat one which is 3mm I believe! That thing is knarly but actually comfortable.