Caps? Is there a difference in sound?

Started by TheSeeker, January 03, 2014, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

I just wanted to get some opinions.  I'm rewiring my strat, and I was just wondering about the caps.  Obviously there is a tonal difference within the different values of caps, but is there a difference in what type of cap I use.  Ceramic, paper in oil, so on and so on.  I've really only had experience with ceramic caps, and orange drops...I didn't really notice any difference in tone.  They were both .047.  I was contemplating on getting a Jensen cap, or something similar.  It would seem a little silly to spend more money on something that is not really going to affect the tone though.  Thanks for your input fellas!!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

Quote from: TheSeeker on January 03, 2014, 10:37:15 PM
I just wanted to get some opinions.  I'm rewiring my strat, and I was just wondering about the caps.  Obviously there is a tonal difference within the different values of caps, but is there a difference in what type of cap I use.  Ceramic, paper in oil, so on and so on.  I've really only had experience with ceramic caps, and orange drops...I didn't really notice any difference in tone.  They were both .047.  I was contemplating on getting a Jensen cap, or something similar.  It would seem a little silly to spend more money on something that is not really going to affect the tone though.  Thanks for your input fellas!!

AFAIK caps are a "pull" or whatever for your high frequencies to ground. Different values affect different frequencies going to ground. I just put an 0.1mf or whatever on the tone knob of my PRS as I don't really use the tone knob a ton, but it gets a cool almost B3ish tone when rolled off. I think my boss said the 0.1 was for single coil guitars. I think the paper in oil ones are the most TGP approved though.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

People have differing opinions. I'm not certain from personal experience to be honest. My gut tells me there are probably some really crappy ones out there, but also some really over priced ones. I went for one that probably costs more than I needed to spend, but its only a few bucks still and its in the guitar I play every chance I have. Even if its 90% snake-oil, worth getting it right the first time since it will cost $50 to have a tech switch to a different cap. I went with the Torres Woman Cap.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

In my opinion caps are like cables; there isn't really a difference in tone but there is a difference in construction, tolerance and reliability.  A good cap (or cable) will stay in tolerance longer and hold up over time but it will likely sound the same from day one to day 1000.  Just my 2 cents.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

CaptainPeyote

just to add my 2pF to happy orange...  caps don't matter, just their value.  electrons don't care, folks!  And especially in the case of a tone cap in a guitar, where whatever passes thru the cap goes to ground, the only thing that matters is how much capacitance it has, and the impedance relationship between that, your pups, and your pot.  If you're considering spending big bucks on vintage russian PIO tone caps, or maybe those ridiculous Gibson reissue bumblebees (that are just a regular production film cap inside a fake outer layer), do yourself a big favor and spend the money on a pile of different cap values, several of each value.  whatever's cheap will do - like the "greenies" or similar chicklet caps that are about .25 cents apiece.  throw some alligator clips in your guitar, and try them all out!  First, find the value that seems best for you, then try each cap of that value until you find the one that sounds best.  you'll be out about $5 for parts, and all but guaranteed to get what you're looking for in tone.   :)

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

CaptainPeyote

Happyorange27

cactuskeeb

Regarding the tone control circuit of a guitar, there will be zero difference in sound from cap's construction type to another.