Trey's Senior Thesis PDF

Started by Stecks, January 21, 2014, 02:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stecks

Anyone else take a look at it?  Has some really interesting stuff.  He talks about his "cut & paste" process, for back of a better description, the thematic elements of the Gamehendge story, stylistic elements and song structures, as well as some theory.  What I found most interesting is the notation examples included in the end.  I've always wondered what is in his head when he uses the tricks he has amassed in his terrific arsenal, and how he uses these tools that he has acquired in his employ.   Here's a few: 

Example 1:  Lizards... this is the only one to include bass clef

Ex 6:   Forbin... Minor porgression using b9, b5, mM7.. switch minor for major chords, use sounds of 2 major chords a third apart more than once... One to major third progression, bluegrassy

Ex7:  Forbin final section, diatonic progression Trey picked up in Ireland - walks down diatonically to Amaj though a ii-V-I progression, but instead of ending on tonic, it goes a step further and resolves on C#min and rests (the minor third of A major)

Example 8:  Mockingbird, single line melody in straight 8th notes, 6/8 waltz... Idea was Flight of the Bumblebee.  I always figured that was the inspiration.

Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Heady Jam Fan

Thats awesome.
I'm assuming theres annotation that goes along with these?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

No Nice Guy

Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: No Nice Guy on January 21, 2014, 04:01:20 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 21, 2014, 02:38:17 PM
Thats awesome.
I'm assuming theres annotation that goes along with these?

You can download the .pdf of the whole thing here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!uJlGTCSI!D2ufEUTWQ5uVBwZFQXIgahtZBsQGNiaA37y9LUW8CBI

Found here:

http://forum.phish.net/thread.php?thread=1375266187

Sweet - thanks, but I think the link is broke. Maybe I'll search for the PDF later this week.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Stecks

Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Lephty

Super-interesting to read about his thought process when he was composing some of these things.