Your Favorite year

Started by Stiles12, September 27, 2007, 03:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

What is your favorite Phish year?
When you want to listen to a run of shows what year do you scroll to in your library?
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

That's a tough one.  I think it varies for me, which is how it is when listening to the Dead as well.  Someetimes I'm in the mood for some raw, rambunctious, and reckless Phish from '91, other times I want to hear them polished and peaking from say '95, and other times I want to hear the more mature, more funked out shows from '98 or even '00 (saw a lot of shows in '00, so it holds a special place in my heart).  Rarely, however, do I find myself saying \"man, I really want to throw in some Phish from Vegas '04, or from NC in '03\", though I will say that I do throw the later stuff in every so often just to hear it.  It's just not my favorite, although there are some really tasty nuggets from the later years.  Just not as spontaneous.  

But that's how it goes for most bands.  Even the Dead got (gasp!) \"predictable\" as the years went on.  A lot of people complain about how Phish degressed as the years went on, but I don't think so.  I call it growing, and I don't even look at it as a \"for better or worse\" scenario.  It's just the way it was, and I loved every minute of it.

'97 might be my favorite year, but even as I write that, my mind immediately goes to the \"well don't forget '94, you love that year too!\", so I can't really say.  Truth be told, I like the rotating schedule I seem to be on.  Lately it's just been close the eyes and pick a disc, which seems to be working out well.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

gratephulphish123

93! very adventurous, i love how trey would just make riffs up as they went along, jams were all really distinct from other jams with multiple themes and general weirdness. later years are always fun but they're a bit too predicable,   and kind of formulaic. but as shakedown said i switch periods every month or so

Stiles12

hmm, its my question and i have a tough time trying to answer it. I Think most of the 93 94 95 stuff is amazing if i am looking for shows that are simply set out to prove that they are a great band. but I think that 97 might be my favorite year. I like a lot of the shows from then, and if they had good recordings from the world tour i think it would get a lot more respect.
Although from about June to December 95 run was pretty sick...
Agree with Shakedown, the post hiatus are groups of shows that i seem to avoid for some subconscious reason, although I do enjoy IT, great recording, and a few bust outs.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

This is a simple question for myself... 1995!!!
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

gratephulphish123

phish themselves push the latter years alot, the 96-00 period gets alot of the live phish entries and archival releases. i was glad to see murat released recently, hopefully they're gonna go deep into the old archives and pull out someearly 90's with perfect sound quality  :lol:

arkjdfgkjdbf

i've been listening to live 7 a lot lately, and i might have to go out on a limb and say 93.  this was roughly the time where they started taking past staples to new levels, and really experimenting.  it never sounded so fresh and new.  before this epiphany, i would've said 94.....or 97.

Erictw83

Recently I've been listening to a lot of 90,91,92, but I'm trying to make an effort to delve into some the later years ('98 - ) that I haven't hit much of yet  .  Yeah phish definitely pushes their later stuff.  Phish radio is mostly all more modern cuts

lumpy

97 for sure, with 94 close behind

and im a sucker for the 91 horns shows
can you still have fun?

Poster

yeah the giant country horns did bring something great to the table  8)