2x12 Cabinet. Which one?

Started by fulltone1989, November 23, 2010, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey everyone,

I currently run a Mesa/Boogie 45 1x12 combo as my gigging amp, and it's on a stand so the sound is up by the audience's ears. Although its REALLY LOUD volume-wise, I would like to explore different possibilities as far as a cabinet goes. It sounds a little thin, and I really loved having a 2x12, as it sounded much fuller. I have a somewhat limited experience as far as this goes, so what are you're opinions?! I am a little strapped for cash at the moment, so under $500 or so would be ideal, unless you all think that it doesn't seem worth it to spend that on something I am going to replace in a few years. I was just checking out Mesa's website and really like the wide 1x12 ext. cabinets, but then again, those are 1x12's. Thanks in advance!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

patrickstefanski

You should talk to AO.  He can make you some custom cabs.  I think almost everyone on here has worked with Andrew before, all positive experiences as far as I know.   he's pretty damn good at what he does.

www.aoguitars.com
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: patrickstefanski on November 23, 2010, 02:14:37 PM
You should talk to AO.  He can make you some custom cabs.  I think almost everyone on here has worked with Andrew before, all positive experiences as far as I know.   he's pretty damn good at what he does.

www.aoguitars.com

I have seen the AO guitar that Andrew made for poster and others and it looks incredible. I will definitely e-mail him.  I live in NH so I could make the trek over to AO guitars in Freeport with no problem. Thanks!

Picture- I don't use a PA, mostly just jamming with friends...
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

patrickstefanski

poster, i'm gonna disagree, respectfully of course.

i don't know a lot about tone woods, joints, blah blah blah, but something tells me "175 shipped" wouldn't make it worthwhile for any builder using quality materials.  ( i'm reminded of your $400 Chinese Languedocs)

you get what you pay for, bottom line.

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

picture_of_nectar

What about the Mesa cab? Just sayin'....

patrickstefanski

Quote from: posternutbag on November 25, 2010, 01:50:48 AM
pat,
wrong, if you read my post, you spec out the exact same materials and construction. its cabinet construction per spec. period.

I get it.  Just saying...sounds a little fishy. 
Current Rig:

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 25, 2010, 01:08:19 AM
What about the Mesa cab? Just sayin'....

I am also considering a Mesa 2x12 semi-open back cab. Andrew and I are discussing possibilities however, and I would rather pay a little more and get one made locally of superior quality.

picture_of_nectar

fulltone1989

ShockedAndPersuaded

There's ALOT of small time company's that are making shit in the realm of 'if you don't know, you don't know what you're missing' category.  All I can say to Tom is Skydog used a 4x12 open back cab with JBL's in it. A Marshall cab.  It was customized by himself.  Do what works for you.  Certainly a 2x12 will throw more 'heat' than a 1x12.

Quote from: posternutbag on November 25, 2010, 01:35:45 PM
.................... and to get an open back cabinet?! why even bother. peace.

Trey, Jerry, Duane, Derrek, Jimmy Herring, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Michael Kang........  Need I say more?
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

fulltone1989

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on November 25, 2010, 11:46:10 PM
There's ALOT of small time company's that are making shit in the realm of 'if you don't know, you don't know what you're missing' category.  All I can say to Tom is Skydog used a 4x12 open back cab with JBL's in it. A Marshall cab.  It was customized by himself.  Do what works for you.  Certainly a 2x12 will throw more 'heat' than a 1x12.

.................... and to get an open back cabinet?! why even bother. peace.

Trey, Jerry, Duane, Derrek, Jimmy Herring, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Michael Kang........  Need I say more?

You're definitely right about Duane, I just don't gig that much and feel it would be too much to have. I am going with a 2x12 I have been talking to ao guitars about making one. I am really looking forward to it!

raisingfreen

k iam back on haitus now. i swear you guys are thick. all the cabs i mentioned above are made by people who only make speaker cabinets, here in the USA. there is no difference lol, and to get an open back cabinet?! why even bother. peace.

Poster, just curious what other cabs you mentioned outside of Lopo and the Jesus Guy on ebay? I could not see them.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

aoguitars

And when did open-back cabinets become no good?
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

deadbearbobby

Lopo cabs are excellent! I have a 1x12" that I bought a few months ago... I got it from my local music store. Some guy traded it for a Squire strat. Anway, it was loaded with a tone tubby hemp speaker so I was sold... I had never heard of the company before but after i plugged my vibrolux into it i looked them up. The sound is great, really rich and full. I liked so much i order another from lopo for my makeshift "lesile speaker" haha... Its just the boss rotary ensemble pedal plugged into a .22 caliber into a speaker cab. Im going to a/b the guitar and pedal board to both my fender and the makeshift "lesile". Really guys check out lopo cabs...
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership