2x12 Cabinet. Which one?

Started by fulltone1989, November 23, 2010, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flavaham

I'm getting a "G212H" cab from Avatar.  They put the thing together to your specs.  4, 8, 16 ohms, Mono or Stereo, your choice of celestians.  (I'm getting Vintage 30's which I'm told are a big part of Trey's tone).  You could go with two different speakers and run stereo, mic them separately... It'll run about $450 shipped.  Here's a link to the cab I'm getting:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Check it out.  I've heard really good things about their stuff! 
-Gabe

Happyorange27

Quote from: Flavaham on January 12, 2011, 05:35:30 AM
Vintage 30's which I'm told are a big part of Trey's tone).

Are you sure Trey uses Vintage 30's.  I could only find that someone reported this about 12 years ago or earlier.  I couldn't find anything that support this for his recent years.  Enlighten me.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Flavaham

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 12, 2011, 12:40:11 PM
Quote from: Flavaham on January 12, 2011, 05:35:30 AM
Vintage 30's which I'm told are a big part of Trey's tone).

Are you sure Trey uses Vintage 30's.  I could only find that someone reported this about 12 years ago or earlier.  I couldn't find anything that support this for his recent years.  Enlighten me.

Well, the guy who is building my preamp (Brad Sarno of Sarno Music Solutions) told me that he made a preamp for Trey that was used during their '09 Summer tour.  He says that "Trey's distinctive classic tone is the Celestion vintage 30's."  I'm not sure that he's saying that he uses them or that it is a good speaker for capturing that type of sound to be honest.  (Although the statement implies that he uses/used them at some point)  There are a few other Celestions that are "broken-in" versions of the vintage 30.  He could use one of these as well.  Either way, that's what I'm going with.  I figured I'd throw that in since this is a Phish forum and a guy who's worked with/for Trey offered the info to me.   ;) 

Anyhow, I stand by my statement that Avatar came highly recomended.  For me, I'm not really trying to clone Trey's tone.  I like my own sound.  His tone is amazing though so it's a good reference when looking into this kind of stuff.

Happyorange27

Thanks. I was considering these 30's but moving toward Cannabis Rex after talking with poster.  Good reporting.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Have AO build you your own custom 2x12.  Soon as I can afford it, that's where I'm going.  8)
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Flavaham

There seems to be some debate about open/closed back cabs. I spoke with a guy from Avatar today who basically said that closed back cabs are best used for hard rock through deth metal. He says open back is good for blues, rock, funk and jazz. His theory is that closed backs give you more bass and are essential if you are doing a lot of palm muting and drop tuning. Open backs ring a little more and have better mids/highs. He also said that the original purpose of open back was that in smaller venues the guitar amp was often set on the front of the stage in front of the guitarist and it helped the musicians be able to hear it better. Eventually it was realized that it does in fact effect tone.

Happyorange27

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 12, 2011, 06:08:11 PM
Thanks. I was considering these 30's but moving toward Cannabis Rex after talking with poster.  Good reporting.

I ended up getting a used Cannabis Rex speaker on ebay yesterday.  I'm stoked!  It going to tame my harsh treble on my Blues Junior.  And it's already broken in. ;)

Got the Rex and it is so much better.  I don't get the piercing treble anymore.  Go Hemp!