Main Menu

Alairex H.A.L.O.

Started by Walker done done, September 06, 2012, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Anyone heard of or played through this thing yet?  A local guy that smokes on guitar was just in my office and made me hip to it.  Seems pretty sweet but costs a pretty penny.  But if he's into it,it's gotta be good.

Here's a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNEe142z9MI
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Interesting, hadn't heard of it... thats damn pricey though, but I guess it is a dual drive. I went to read about it and I was quickly reminded that the description of nearly every single overdrive pedal is exactly the same:
QuoteThe Alairex HALO guitar overdrive pedal gives you realistic tube amp overdrive - through any amp. There have been precious few solid state pedals that really nail the essence of tube amp overdrive. HALO does just that, bringing out elusive even-order harmonics - the desirable, sweet-sounding ones produced by real tubes - to give you satisfying amp-like overdrive that responds beautifully to your pick attack. HALO caresses your notes with a harmonious, aurally satisfying vibe that you won't want to be caught without. Experience how easy it is to nail your unique signature sound through any amp, with the Alairex HALO Overdrive Pedal.
Lol.
The even order thing is cool, my understanding is this really comes out in single-ended amps as push-pull designs cancel even order harmonics (?), at least in the power section. However, there are a few pedals that take measures to get more amp-like drive; IIRC the Boss SD1 has asymmetrical clipping, a twist compared to a TS.

Anyway, I haven't been keeping up with new dirt pedals, pretty settled on my TS's, though I have thought occasionally about adding a Rat in the future or maybe even getting another (would be my 3rd) Skreddy Lunar Module (especially if Marc ever adds a mid control).

I'll bet you could find a few discussions on TGP, maybe even a used one at a decent price.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9