Analogman Modded Boss SD1 OD vs. Ts9/808 silver mod

Started by Teleprs61904, March 08, 2013, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teleprs61904

I've been geeking out on Analogman's site lately, and just purchased a silver mod tubescreamer. I don't normally care for Boss pedals, but today I stumbled across a mod he does on those cheap yellow Boss Overdrives, which are pretty good sounding for what they are to begin with. Apparently, he more or less just turns it into a Ts808, but installs a toggle switch so you can choose between the Boss and Ibanez types of clipping. Seems like a pretty cool mod to me. Has anyone tried this out? How does it compare to a silver mod Ts9? I'm not gonna buy one as I just made a good purchase, but I'm bored and curious, so I thought I'd ask.

Here's a link...

http://analogman.com/boss.htm#SD1
Rig: 2005 Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody II > Polytune Pedal > Analogman Silver ts9/808> Analogman King of Tone OD > EHX MicroPOG > EHX Small Stone Phaser > Boss DD20 Delay (w/ ext. Tap tempo) > 1978 Silverface Fender Vibrolux (w/ black face mods & 2 10" Kendrick speakers)

Heady Jam Fan

The SD1 is almost like Boss's version of a TS9 except with asymmetrical clipping which is supposed to be more like a tube amp, but I generally don't like it as much as symmetrical clipping in a pedal (so Analogman gives you both options). I find asymmetrical to be rougher/harsher/grittier. IIRC the SD1 has a little more dirt on tap as well. The other main difference is that some people seem to notice a little overdrive still even when the pedal is not engaged, but most people don't hear that. I suspect that after Analogman has modded it, it will be fairly similar sounding to his modded TS9 in some settings - definitely a good buy pedal as they usually seem to sell a bit cheaper than an AM modded TS9.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Boss pedals typically have solid buffers and are built like tanks too!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Teleprs61904

Just got my Silver mod ts9/808 in the mail. Sounds beautiful so far. Much clearer than my Maxon was. I was a little concerned that the more transparent sound of the silver mod through my Vibrolux would leave me longing for midrange, but so far it sounds wonderful, and it works great stacked with my King of Tone. Also, my other effects sound way better in conjunction with the new pedal, and I can get away with playing more complex chord voicings with dirty tones and still have every note be defined and clear. I've always been wary to not get too fussy over pedals; I'm under the impression that I should just find what works and stick with it. This however, seems to be a very welcome upgrade, although I won't know for sure til I play some shows with it.
Rig: 2005 Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody II > Polytune Pedal > Analogman Silver ts9/808> Analogman King of Tone OD > EHX MicroPOG > EHX Small Stone Phaser > Boss DD20 Delay (w/ ext. Tap tempo) > 1978 Silverface Fender Vibrolux (w/ black face mods & 2 10" Kendrick speakers)

Heady Jam Fan

Congrats on the pedal - glad your happy! The decrease in mids isn't earth shattering, still works well with a Fender for sure.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.