Alnico Blue in my Deluxe Reverb

Started by GDCSH-1, June 10, 2008, 03:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDCSH-1

Hey guys, Just popped a Celestion blue in my deluxe reverb reissue, its exactly the sound I'm looking for, sounds amazing right out of the box, but i'm a bit concerned with the speaker being 15W and my amp 22W, the loudest I'l usually crank my amp is 5, i usually play with the volume around 4, my effects are a ts-9 and a keely comp, anythin I should be worried about?
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

cactuskeeb

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Many people -- hundreds of musicians -- use a blue in their DR.  Even if you cranked the amp to 8 or 9, you'd still be alright.  Those celestions are underrated, wattage wise. 

GDCSH-1

Thanks for the reply, feel better now..this speaker sounds better and better everyday, actually haven't been using my keely comp lately, the speaker has great natural compression along with its tone, but any other suggestions on future amp mods?
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

cactuskeeb

I wouldn't recommend that anyone spend money to have modifications made to a printed circuit board amp.  Most amp techs charge between 35 to 60 dollars an hour for that kind of work simply because, generally speaking, it's always easier to modifiy point to point based amplifier circuits than it would be to mod a pcb, especially given the fact that there is no uniformity from one pcb amp to another, such as there exists between a whole genus of classic Fender amplifiers that share the same core AB763 circuit. 

I spent around 600.00 for the modifications to my deluxe reverb reissue.  When you consider the fact that you can buy an entire kit -- minus the cabinet -- to build a point to point deluxe reverb for 700.00, it doesn't seem worth it to pay almost the same amount of money for a handful of crappy parts and a few hours of an amp tech's time.