Rig of the amateur: happyorange

Started by Happyorange27, September 12, 2010, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

On a Blues Junior, I think a Speaker, Tube and OT change does more than the BillM basic mods. YMMV.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

the_great_lemon

Speaker-wise, I'm thinking about an Eminence GB12. Also, recently I had my guitar tech replace any noisy tubes he found. He ended up replacing the power tubes and 2 of the 3 12AX7's.  That's an interesting thought about the OT though, I'll be sure to look into that.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I have tried both the BillM low-profile and the Merc Mags - slightly different, no preference personally between the two. I like Eminence Speakers, I have a Red Fang and have had two Swamp Thangs, but I don't think I've ever tried the GB.

The BillM mods makes a difference, the Basic just seems to un-skip the corners that Fender skimped on, but some of his other mods are sound pretty cool too - particularly switching the output tubes and adding a presence knob (those are the only two others I remember).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Hey dudes, I have some birthday cash and am trying to choose wisely.  Here is my rig as of today:

A.O. Hollowbody>Modded JHS-1 Hendrix Wah>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>cmatmods compressor>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Feel free to influence my decision on the next holy piece:

-Whammy II or V if it proves to track well
-Boomerang (original or III) or another quality looper that can recall a stored loop.  My flashback erases the loop when stopped.
-Voodoo Labs Pedal Power+
-TC Electronic Nova Repeater
-Other suggestions

Thanks for your input.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ColForbin

Happy,

What are you using to power your effects currently?
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Happyorange27

Quote from: ColForbin on May 02, 2012, 10:23:27 AM
Happy,

What are you using to power your effects currently?

Good question.  It's SKB PS-25.  Here is a web picture I found for reference.

I've had it forever and it's ok.  Not sure if it's isolated power per plug or daisy chained.  I'm sure I'm due for much better.  Can't say I have power issues but I can say I am maxed out on outlets on the strip.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ColForbin

Well, if you feel you're due and are looking for suggestions, I would look at a pedal power, or the BBE supa charger.  But new toys are fun too....are you thinking nova repeater just for the tap tempo??
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

picture_of_nectar

FYI the Rang III can't store loops. Otherwise it's a great pedal.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Yes on the tap tempo and also because i can't delay and loop at the same time with my Flashback hence another pedal.

As for Rang III it does retain a loop, or should i say pause a loop.  I'm just comparing to the Flashback where when you turn off the loop, it's never coming back.  Does that make sense?  

Thanks dudes.

the_great_lemon

I would like to second the motion of getting an isolated outlet power supply. I used to have the same model SKB board...I'm pretty sure  it was daisy chained.  When I needed more rooooom I stepped up to a PT-2 and a pp2+ and almost all of the excessive humming I didn't realize was happening, vanished. Well worth the price in my book!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Happyorange27

Oh hell I keep getting tempted in all directions here.  Now I'm looking at some floor monitors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-15-Floor-Monitors-Stage-Studio-PA-DJ-Speakers-/380430104000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589366b5c0#ht_2307wt_1183

I have some really crappy ones right now.  I really like to submerse myself in the sound bubble and for my upcoming gig I want to have some good monitor action. 
I do think I should explore the iso power supply too.

fulltone1989

In addition to the floor monitors, having a quiet solid pedalboard makes setup really easy and troubleshooting failures is easier as well.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Ok I just got these 12" monitors. I've moved my amp from in front to my back. I'm simulating a stage performance which should prove useful for my upcoming gig. Making the sound bubble. Oh I have two mics on the amp panned hard as usual at different offsets from the grill. So monitors are stereo panned as a result.

IamWILSON

Quote from: the_great_lemon on May 02, 2012, 03:27:42 PM
I would like to second the motion of getting an isolated outlet power supply. I used to have the same model SKB board...I'm pretty sure  it was daisy chained.  When I needed more rooooom I stepped up to a PT-2 and a pp2+ and almost all of the excessive humming I didn't realize was happening, vanished. Well worth the price in my book!
exact. same. experience. 4 me....to poop on!

Haha, all kidding aside, switching from cheap daisychained skb board to the PT-2 and PP2+ was a large step up in achieving better tone.  And a much more reliable setup too.  That SKB PS-25 was always sliding around stage floors!

Cute doggie Happy!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Cool. I'll make it my next purchase.