Compressor help?

Started by Flavaham, September 16, 2011, 05:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flavaham

I picked up a Dyna-Comp.  I was on a budget and got it for less then $40.  The problem is that I'm getting a ton of noise when I use it with my OCD.  I have it set up after the OD because the OCD is a responsive pedal that changes in tone based on pick attack and volume knob.  I know that Trey also has his after the OD in his chain.  I know he uses compression, so how is he able to keep it so clean?  By nature, I know that the compressor wants to bring any noise up or down to a particular volume, which makes it obvious that hiss will end up amplified a bit.  I'm just wondering how to avoid that or lessen it if possible.  When I'm soloing you don't really notice and I'm getting some really nice sustaining leads.  When I get back to a rhythm section, slower part or anything with space though, it is way too loud... :-\
Thanks!

Happyorange27

Try turning down the sustain knob, get a noise gate after the compressor, or get a better compressor.  8)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

Look into the Script Reissue DynaComps. Analogman modded ones come up on ebay occasionally. I have one and it's pretty killer. More Sqish=more noise no matter what compressor for the most part.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

GDCSH-1

Quote from: Flavaham on September 16, 2011, 05:02:28 PM
I picked up a Dyna-Comp.  I was on a budget and got it for less then $40.  The problem is that I'm getting a ton of noise when I use it with my OCD.  I have it set up after the OD because the OCD is a responsive pedal that changes in tone based on pick attack and volume knob.  I know that Trey also has his after the OD in his chain.  I know he uses compression, so how is he able to keep it so clean?  By nature, I know that the compressor wants to bring any noise up or down to a particular volume, which makes it obvious that hiss will end up amplified a bit.  I'm just wondering how to avoid that or lessen it if possible.  When I'm soloing you don't really notice and I'm getting some really nice sustaining leads.  When I get back to a rhythm section, slower part or anything with space though, it is way too loud... :-\
Thanks!

This is addressing the volume issue, here's something I do: (in this im using, guitar>tubescreamer>comp>amp. Basically the effects I use along with delay and vibe)

1) Start with your amp at one volume, lets say 4 (fenders use numbers not sure what amp you have)

2) Turn your guitar volume and tone all the way up.

3) With all pedals off, strum your guitar and pay attention to how loud the overall volume is.

4) Start with the level on your comp at 9:00 and sustain lets say 9:00 as well.

5) Click your comp on and off while strumming, pay attention to the volume difference of when the comp is on then off (with the level at 9:00 your over all volume should be lower when you click the comp on)

6) Adjust the level on the comp until it matches the volume of strumming just guitar and amp (guitar volume all the way up still btw)

7) Match the level on your OD to the comp level (If your comp is at 11:00 after adjusting set your OD level to 11:00).

8 ) If you want your overall volume to be louder turn your Amp up and adjust pedal levels accordingly.

9) Once you have a preferred volume set on amp and levels set on pedals, utilize your guitar volume and tone nobs to adjust overall volume levels while playing.

-As for the sustain and drive nob settings on your pedals that is your preference, more crunch more squash etc. But keep in mind these nobs also increase the volume as you turn them up so you may have to compensate with backing off the level nobs to match volume of the amp and guitar.

The steps are very basic but should give you a good start on keeping volume increase minimal when turning pedals on and off while playing.  I like to base the levels of OD and comp on amp volume setting, which changes a lot depending on where im playing. My amp as the master volume, then using my guitar to control how loud I want to be, so when I jump from lead to rhythm I just roll back the volume on my guitar being able to keep my pedals on.

Another thing, look into getting a good comp, there are a few good ones out that are affordable (my keeley is quite compared to others), and search the forum, there is a ton of great info on comps, pedal positioning etc.

Hope this helps man and good luck with the rig!

"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

Happyorange27

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nob
Sorry, i'm a comedian and it's my duty to make others chuckle. :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

That's good beta right there.

Personally i like to run my amp hotter, like up around 6-8 on my Twin, and I leave my Comp on all the time to reduce the overall volume.

I can make small adjustments to the comp volume sort of acting like a volume pedal.

I just think the amp sounds better when the tubes are run hot. You just have to be careful not to accidentally switch off the Comp or you might blow out some ear drums.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 16, 2011, 06:44:13 PM
Try turning down the sustain knob, get a noise gate after the compressor, or get a better compressor.  8)

I just wanted to mention that I really love having a noise gate built into my compressor.  You could just get a separate noise gate after your compressor.  My gate has a green and red light indicating when it's passing or blocking the signal.  It's great because when the screamers are on idle i just tweak the noise gate so that it is barely on red (blocking the signal).  As soon as i just barely touch the strings, the noise gate turns green and you hear it.  It's great because i never have idle noise even with the screamers on.  Try it kids. ;)

Top left corner of the rack compressor.  See it's red right now.

webephishin

someone actually just suggested the mxr dynacomp to me yesterday and noted that it's a great pedal for a decent price.  I've only read a couple bad reviews on it, but I think it really comes down to the guitarist's flavor...I just gotta goto the store and try a couple out n compare em.  I just wish i could bring my whole right to the store so i know what it sounds like with my gear!
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Every time I think to try out gear at the store, I talk myself out of it cuz I can't bring my rig ;) I went a few months ago for the first time in over a year and didn't like anything! Tried pretty much every fuzz they had, they just kept bringing them... I think the stock RI Fender amp and stock Fender guitar I tested with played a big role.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Brian27

Retro Sonic Comp is basically a Ross Clone and it sounds great.

Heady Jam Fan

True - I have it on my board and I am really digging it so far, been a few weeks and I have no complaints. Plus it is cheaper than other Ross Clones of a similar quality.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

I got a CMATmods 2 knob off TGP for a pretty good price. I like it a lot better compared to other "clones" I've tried, and it's got a pretty small footprint!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on February 09, 2012, 11:37:58 AM
I got a CMATmods 2 knob off TGP for a pretty good price. I like it a lot better compared to other "clones" I've tried, and it's got a pretty small footprint!
Sweet right? Welcome to the club. :)

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on February 09, 2012, 11:52:27 AM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on February 09, 2012, 11:37:58 AM
Sweet right? Welcome to the club. :)

Thanks :) My only gripe is that the 9v jack is a little "loud?" I don't know how to describe it.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

webephishin

have any of you guys tried a modtone lemon squeeze compressor? I haven't really heard much about modtone but my friend just got one for 50 bucks.  I'll give a try one of these days...
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410