Compressor help?

Started by Flavaham, September 16, 2011, 05:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Quote from: fulltone1989 on July 23, 2012, 11:33:00 AM
Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 23, 2012, 07:31:34 AM
Yep never had a Ross but love my 2 know CMATMODS compressor.  I was using the sustain at 10 o'clock mostly but now have been using it closer to noon and 1.  Still plenty of dynamics when needed.

I've have to try the comp w/ the sustain a bit higher on mine as I ran it on 10 and although it sounds awesome new settings are always fun to try. Do you find your two-knob dark at all?
No the 2 knob seems transparent as far as EQ.  It's kind of transparent all around.  Between this higher setting and my recent use of the FAT switch on my BJ, my sustain is grand!  I found if i stand at a 45 degree angle to my amp, i get the best sustain at relatively low volumes.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Someone offered me a Black Ross last night for $300, I said no thanks. Last two I saw were around $160-180.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

I bet you could find a Grey one for $350. I love mine, always on.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Can't you just save money by buying a black Ross and performing a gray Ross mod?  It's called gray spray paint. Ha!  :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 23, 2012, 11:41:41 AM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on July 23, 2012, 11:33:00 AM
Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 23, 2012, 07:31:34 AM
Yep never had a Ross but love my 2 know CMATMODS compressor.  I was using the sustain at 10 o'clock mostly but now have been using it closer to noon and 1.  Still plenty of dynamics when needed.

I've have to try the comp w/ the sustain a bit higher on mine as I ran it on 10 and although it sounds awesome new settings are always fun to try. Do you find your two-knob dark at all?
No the 2 knob seems transparent as far as EQ.  It's kind of transparent all around.  Between this higher setting and my recent use of the FAT switch on my BJ, my sustain is grand!  I found if i stand at a 45 degree angle to my amp, i get the best sustain at relatively low volumes.

Interesting, on some days it sounded dark and other it was fine. Could be my guitar too though. I point my GT Soul-O 45  at a 45 degree angle as well haha at about waist height and the sustain is wonderful with just the comp on. Some new KT66's are arriving tomorrow for me to try  ;D
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 23, 2012, 01:21:23 PM
I bet you could find a Grey one for $350. I love mine, always on.
Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 23, 2012, 01:38:46 PM
Can't you just save money by buying a black Ross and performing a gray Ross mod?  It's called gray spray paint. Ha!  :P

Thats why I told the guy no - I don't care if it is black or grey in color, I wanted a black one for the right price, can't rationalize paying more for color.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

Quoteanalogmike
10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Black version was made in Taiwan after the Grey ones. Noticeable differences are the capacitors and transistors. We can mod the black ones or the newer Keeleys to grey Ross specs (five 2SC1849R transistors) and add true bypass to the black ones which makes a really nice pedal.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 23, 2012, 05:51:46 PM
Quoteanalogmike
10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Black version was made in Taiwan after the Grey ones. Noticeable differences are the capacitors and transistors. We can mod the black ones or the newer Keeleys to grey Ross specs (five 2SC1849R transistors) and add true bypass to the black ones which makes a really nice pedal.

Yea, true bypass doesn't matter if its always on (which is would be most of the time in my rig), and I think I would prefer the original caps and trannies that have been used for 30 years over NOS replacements. I personally am in no rush to replace my comp though.

picture_of_nectar

just saying they aren't quiet the same besides the color.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 23, 2012, 08:07:41 PM

For sure - and I have no idea what the sonic differences are, but it doesn't seem that people consider one to be better than the other necessarily.?.

sour d

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 23, 2012, 08:07:41 PM
I have had many grey and black and you have to remember that these were cheap pedals. None of them had the same components. They used caps that met the value not the composition. Several of the grey ross comps I have owned had the same metal can caps that the black ones have. Some greys have tantulum, some have a mix of the 2. So for AM to say he changes the caps to tantalum to make it ross spec is not accurate. My favorite ross right now is a grey made in the kansas with metal can caps. Check the ebay auction board pics for a while and you will see what I mean. A big part of making any of these sound good in your rig is adjusting the trimpot to what works for your rig
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

fulltone1989

Ross comps have a trim pot? Adjusts attack?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

No i think its the bias adjustment for the base of the transistor(s).  CMATMODS has one too and he told me not to mess with it since it is set upon the original calibration and you shouldn't need to ever adjust it.  I haven't messed with mine but I'm sure a curious person would do that.  I think it just gets the transistors working in the most linear range which is what you want.  Keeps everything stable.  Not sure though.

Happyorange27

Here is a painfully slow explanation but a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlxoR7iXR0