Booty-Que – Retro-Comp v2.3

Started by manicstarseed, September 23, 2011, 09:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicstarseed

Hi.

I came across this compressor  http://www.booty-que.co.uk/retro.html and it has me intrigued. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? $130... for what it claims, I think I need me to get one these units on principle alone.

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Happyorange27

Dude get it and report your findings. Sounds compelling.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

manicstarseed

Getting one of these compressors is going to take patience and luck. I have attempted to contact him as directed by his 2011 web site. I even sent him a personal e-mail.  There has been no reply in over a week. Now, I am wondering if he just decided to stop making them.

Ill simply need to wait and hope that he will contact me. I'll be lucky if he is still making them.

I may just have to get me a Keely

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Synthesizer->GR-55

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

manicstarseed

Woot!
Good news I'm gonna get the last one at the $130 cost.... see below for the RO Tiree's response to my inquiry. Once I get this unit I will do A/B tests and do a review for us.

Quote(yawns... stretches...)

wassup?

I haven't built a comp for quite some time. To tell the truth, I was getting bored with them. Sorry I didn't spot your email, manic - must have missed it, otherwise I would have replied - my bad  :)

Anyway, since I was last in here, I changed my computer and, when I tried to access the plans for all my pedals, I found that my external HDD had given up the ghost. Absolute disaster! All is well now, though, having recovered the data and backed it up elsewhere. Had me a few angst-ridden weeks, there, I can tell you!

OK, now the bad news... and good news for manic... I'm going to be charging significantly more for these pedals from now on. Parts are becoming scarce and more expensive, plus I'm bored, so I need to make it worth my while to get out of bed and do them. That said, manic has been waiting a long time for this, and it was clearly my fault for deleting his email in amongst my perennial fight against spam, so I'll make his for USD130, like it says on my website.

manic - PM/email me with your choice of colour for the box and the LED and I'll get on with it (after my mother in law departs - the spare bedroom is my paint-shop, and I'd hate to kill her off with the paint-fumes... on second thoughts, though... naaah - perhaps not). If you have guitars with high-ouput pickups in there, let me know because...

I'm going to have to change the circuit once again - it seems that some people with insanely high-output humbuckers are having clipping problems, so there will be either a little switch or another knob on there to cater for that in future. Price from now onwards will be USD240. That's still cheaper than a K****y 4-knob comp, includes P&P world-wide (K****y charges up to USD30 for that aspect) and his doesn't have the noise-reduction circuitry or the Slew control, so it'll still be a steal  :)

Synthesizer->GR-55

sour d

Parts are becoming more scarce and more expensive? Sure......
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

manicstarseed

Quote from: sour d on October 01, 2011, 02:39:25 PM
Parts are becoming more scarce and more expensive? Sure......
LOL fair enough, but across the pond, who knows.
....plus I'm bored, so I need to make it worth my while to get out of bed and do them.
I really think that's the thing.

I have been there. When a hobby creates something in demand and the payback is slim, I can see getting sick (bored) of the activity of making a quality "product". Needing more money to make it happen is a natural response to motivate oneself in the face of boredom or drudgery. As for myself,  Parts +time, I can not make a Ross Clone for less than $200, so $130 is a steal. $240 is still a good deal because with the box and parts, that's like $50 and my time is worth $45-50/hr. I can't build one in less than 4 hrs, $250 is (+) return  for me.

Synthesizer->GR-55

IamWILSON

Did you ever get this pedal yet?  I'd be interested in hearing a review and maybe a soundclip or 2.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

manicstarseed

Not yet. My take is that this is not so much a business as much as it is a passion. Mike does not take money until the  unit is built and ready to ship and will contact me when its done for payment and shipping info.

I seriously am chomping on the bit to get this. It seems like the answer to my own issues with compressors.

As for sound clips His website has a sample to check out http://www.booty-que.co.uk/sound.html.

I will keep you posted.

Synthesizer->GR-55