Started by manicstarseed, April 27, 2012, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicstarseed

Effect Name: Barber Tone Press
Type: Compressor, Parallel
Controls: True by-pass Switch, Sustain, Volume, Blend, Internal Color  trim pot
Power: 10mA @ 9V (- Center)
Price Paid : $159, inc. Shipping

What we have here is one nice compressor. I am not a fan of compressors as they never do what I want without squashing the hell out of my tone. I started with a CS-3, tried the MXR Dynacomp and now have settled the Barber Tone Press. It does everything Barber said it would. Count it amongst the CompRoyal - a fairly small subset of compressors that route the dry signal parallel to the effected signal, preserving the original attack while adding sustain. With the blend knob, one CAN dial in the amount of real dynamics that you want present in the mix.

-The Volume (level) and Sustain knobs do exactly what you would expect them to do. Volume around noon is slightly  greater  unity for my Blend and Sustain settings.

-Inside there is a Color trim pot that allows one to dial down the brightness to taste. It comes shipped with full on bright. It was too much for me, so I backed it off like 1/20 of a turn. I turned it about a quarter turn, it rotates through like 330 degrees, not full circle. I tried a ΒΌ turn and it quickly lost some of the life I was enjoying with it on.  The manual refers to the darkening as "vintage", FWIW. It can get much darker than I like in my compressor.

The blend control is where it is at. Mine is at 10:30. At 5:00 its full squash, there are subtle squash differences to the Dynacomp. I find that the "squash" of the Barber is less, shall I say, abusive to my tone. Anyway the ability to blend the dry signal with the compressed one, really allows the player to dial in the amount of squash and sustain. I have my sustain set to 1:00.

I am pretty happy with the Tone Press. I find it very versatile and for the price, it is one of the better values out there.  In my research, I read that the Tone Press is from the Ross/DC family. I have been asked about how it compares to a Ross. I can only imagine as I never owned a Ross so I do not have a basis to compare. You would have to hear for yourself. I think I have mine set brighter, I am not sure if, but would assume, that the Ross is darker (than my setting), the  Color setting may need adjustment to darken it up. I would consider it a bright compressor.

As for a compressor and what I want in one - I think the it does add and sweeten the tone a little while the player has control of how that is achieved. Sustain is not obvious where I have it set, but it's there. I have been looking for a subtle compressor and I have found it for now. There are two other compressors that interest me still, but that's now a curiosity, not a need, thanks to my Barber Tone Press.

FWIW... My ideal compressed tone...
Peaks smoothed off and not squashed....5/5
Softest notes get slight boost.4.5/5
Subtle but certain sustain. 4/5
Flat frequency response 3.5/5 ( Typical Ross design-dropped lows, 3/5) It gets a 3.5 because the Blend knob compensates I think the color can be touch warmer.
Musicality (Overall ability to dial in musical tones) 4/5
Overall 4.5/5...  Quality, versatility and value add points. Definitely worth the $159 considering the next step is like $250.

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

ColForbin

Thanks for the review man, that's the exact information I have been looking for.  Cheers.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

manicstarseed

Thank you for the feedback. First time I ever  sat down and put thoughts of  a pedal on paper. I can another for Machine Vibe, if folks are interested.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Happyorange27

Damn nice review as if I read it in a magazine.  Nice!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex