Any tubescreamer experts here?

Started by MomaDan, August 01, 2012, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaDan

Its about that time to start modding my tubescreamer, I'm planning on starting with the 808 mod. My main question is does anyone know what components have been changed out to get the Trey mod (yes I know thats not its proper name). I've been doing some extensive google searches and only found a description of the sound, not what has been done. AM has kept the specifics secret for a long time, which is pretty impressive considering the number of cloned pedals out there. I have no plans to send my pedal out, but would like to try this mod.

Also where do you guys buy your components like opamps and resistors, a lot of sites only have them in bulk. Its hard to find just one jrc4558 for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

MomaDan

Thanks sour I got your package  ;D Threw the 4558D in there and everything sounded good. Then I put in 1 resistor and the LED and it doesnt work. The solder connections look good, not really sure why its not working. Im gonna ask over at freestompboxes they usually know whats up
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

sour d

Look at the led and see the "flag". The point should face the side of the board with the wires. I put 2 in the package in case it got messed up.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

sour d

MomaDan

Not so great lol. I switched out the IC and 1 resistor everything worked. Then accidentally blew out the first LED, put the other one in and the 2nd resistor. The LED lights up but I have to push down on the board for sound to come through. Someone said its a solder joint short but I reflowed it like 5 times with no luck. Sent Analogman an email today about just getting the silver mod done. This has been a pain in the ass.

But on the bright side a Comprosser should be arriving in the next day or two  ;D

sour d

I can fix it if you want. Just mail it to me