Rig of the amateur: happyorange

Started by Happyorange27, September 12, 2010, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on January 19, 2012, 11:31:01 AM
Sounds real nice, nice mic setup too btw! Have you tried plugging your tuner into the stereo out on the Flashback?
I haven't.  I think that would split the signal especially in loop mode.  Have you tried loop mode in stereo?  It sends the loop to one side and your current signal to the other.  Thanks for the suggestion however.  Also my tuner isn't in my chain.  I've been tuning to the keyboard lately by ear.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

If you dont get rid of those shitty cables, Iam going to pull my fucking hair out.

*edit: I have a spool of george l cable, but cant find my foam block of plugs. Iam going to find you some cables dude.

Happyorange27

Quote from: Poster on January 19, 2012, 03:35:06 PM
If you dont get rid of those shitty cables, Iam going to pull my fucking hair out.

*edit: I have a spool of george l cable, but cant find my foam block of plugs. Iam going to find you some cables dude.
You don't like the ones i have now that i bought from Hong Kong, 6 for 1 dollar?  That's about how much they were.  Yes it's terrible.  See I know you care about my tone and I appreciate that very much.  Help a brother out!  Seriously I'm all about doing that soon.  Thanks Mr. Nutbag.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

no problem, just shot you a text.  :P

IamWILSON

Poster-   A while back I remember you mentioning how/why you use some different patch cables for certain reasons between different pedals.  And I think part of it had to do with your tubescreamer(s)?  Anyway, I've got all planet waves cables on my boards now (I know, probably not the best choice, but the price was right and they're better than the cheap fenders and random cables I was using), with the exception of between my 2 tubescreamers because I didn't like the way the planet waves L shaped plug separated the 2 further apart .  Is a george L a good choice to use in between the 2 tube screamers, or is there something better?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

ColForbin

I'm actually going to be abandoning my george l cables soon, to move to Lava cables.  I have serious reliability issues with my george l's, they sound great but they can die on you over time.  I've heard from a few trusted sources that lava is the way to go. 
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Happyorange27

Quote from: ColForbin on January 20, 2012, 07:59:01 AM
I'm actually going to be abandoning my george l cables soon, to move to Lava cables.  I have serious reliability issues with my george l's, they sound great but they can die on you over time.  I've heard from a few trusted sources that lava is the way to go. 
Oh crap really?  I was about to drop some cash just now on some George L.  I think Poster swears by them.  Col did you assemble them yourself?  I'm sure there could be variation in assembly from person to person.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 20, 2012, 08:24:02 AM
Quote from: ColForbin on January 20, 2012, 07:59:01 AM
Oh crap really?  I was about to drop some cash just now on some George L.  I think Poster swears by them.  Col did you assemble them yourself?  I'm sure there could be variation in assembly from person to person.

I've heard from unrelated sources that lava is the way to go. I currently have some DIY Mogamis on my board from TGP but as soon as I get the tax return back its lava time. The construction videos make the cables look as easy as pie to make.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Poster

Ha, if your geroge cables fail its because you didnt make them properly. Ive done hundreds of gig with them and they never ever fail. What ever Iam sure youll say iam wrong.

Poster

Quote from: IamWILSON on January 20, 2012, 12:26:51 AM
Poster-   A while back I remember you mentioning how/why you use some different patch cables for certain reasons between different pedals.  And I think part of it had to do with your tubescreamer(s)?  Anyway, I've got all planet waves cables on my boards now (I know, probably not the best choice, but the price was right and they're better than the cheap fenders and random cables I was using), with the exception of between my 2 tubescreamers because I didn't like the way the planet waves L shaped plug separated the 2 further apart .  Is a george L a good choice to use in between the 2 tube screamers, or is there something better?

Good post, I had missed it until now!

Yeah, I was using some monster cables last year, and a couple failed in front of 500 people at the Young Ave Deli. Ended up having to bypass the whole board and play direct. Real shitty when the opening band was actually tasty, and at sound check I had no issues. So yeah, Ill never use a monster patch cable again... I experimented with a variety of cables. Thick george L, skinny, george L, evidence audio, mogami gold, lava, etc. I ended up using some "flat right angle jacks" for my wah wah, and ts9. They are made out of mogami wire and said flat jacks. Otherwise, I prefer the skinny george L cables, with a mix of right angle, and straight tips. When I was touring with a huge rack system, the george L's were great for getting the patchbay all clean with extra slack for the drawers to open. And yup, didnt have a failure after 3 months on the road that time. My rig now is much much much smaller, and I still have no problems with my george L's or my mogamis. When demod together Id say the mogami gold/george l sounded about the same, whereas the others where subtely different, and I either didnt dig the build quality, design, or how the plugs set on my board.

ColForbin

Quote from: Poster on January 20, 2012, 11:24:51 AM
Ha, if your geroge cables fail its because you didnt make them properly. Ive done hundreds of gig with them and they never ever fail. What ever Iam sure youll say iam wrong.

It's entirely possible that I'm making them wrong, although I'm a little unclear as to how you actually go about making them wrong.  When I replace and make a new one, I can see where the hot connection was made at one point.  But again, I'm not claiming that I make cables flawlessly.  But it's also flawed logic to assume that just because you've never had an issue, that issues aren't possible....just sayin'.  But my issue may be related to my apparent lack of "cable-making prowess".

All I know is I have an issue, I find the culprit through testing, I make a new one, and I don't have an issue anymore.  But in an effort to maybe point the finger at myself first, what do you use to make your cut?  I use wire cutters, I thought that would do the trick but maybe it's pinching it to much?

Edit to add:

If I can sort out that I am making them wrong, and don't have to spend money replacing them, I will be very grateful for sure.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

Poster

I make all sorts of cables. Not just solderless. In my experience, never use wire clipper pliers unless you have to. I use some clippers made just for cutting copper cable. They have yellow handles, about 4 inches long, and are really fucking sharp. It has a little block to rest it on a flat surface. The key is as flat and sharp a cut as possible. Your trying to maximize how much of the internal fibers are connecting to the plug sleeve. So its 2 flat round contact points. Sometimes I would heat shrink around the old really long ones just to keep the screw down, but soon realized you could just paint elmers glue onto the threads. So you need to keep constant tension on the cable when you setting the screw. You also dont need to screw it down too tight. The thread locking cow glue is easy to break if you need to swap the plug, but again, using that method, you never have to. So cut it flat, put it in the plug, hold with one hand tight, screw in screw (and for piece of mind, put a dab of elmors glue on the threads before you start this process). Repeat on the other end of cable, let sit for 2 hours to dry, test on practice amp, yank on the each end a little during testing to make sure your good. The glue isnt really needed, but at least you know nothing can really move. For say a George L guitar length cable, just add large tube heatshrink around the glued screw binding it to the cable, add techflex wrap if you want, double the shrink over the wrap, they sound great. Your going to have to cut the fucking thing in half to break it

ColForbin

Cool man, good info.  I'll look into some clippers and remake my cables before doing a switch.  I have a lot of cable left over, so it should be easy peasy.
Current rig: 

aoguitars

Having wired a ton of boards and patchbays, I wouldn't use anything but Lava Cable if you're going with the DIY solderless kits. IMO, the George Ls' method of grounding just doesn't inspire confidence the way that the Lavas do. You're actually using the whole braided sleeve with the Lava, not just a tiny point like on the Ls. And the cable jackets are slightly thicker as well, which I like. The George Ls are fine if you're wiring something up and leaving them alone, as you're never stressing the connection. If you're doing anything where you'll be plugging/unplugging the cables more than a few times (as we all do when tweaking our boards), Lava is the way to go. Plus, the plugs are the smallest out there, so you can get pedals closer together.

And I was just with a forum member whose board was wired with George Ls, and there was a few times that the signal was lost due to a faulty plug/ground. In my experience, they eventually fail.

Just thought I'd throw that out there!
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

Poster

Perhaps they didnt make them properly?  ;D Here are some mogami's that are similar to the ones I like. These plugs are great and very small http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Mogami-2524-patch-effects-cable-Low-Profile-/330588279438?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf898d28e#ht_500wt_780

but again, a properly made george l cable is fantastic.  I just watched the george l demo before I tried making mine. Its on youtube, and linked on the george l website.