Hard-Trucker Style Cab Build (TRM)

Started by Heady Jam Fan, December 09, 2015, 11:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

See if you can spot a cool little extra detail I added.

I got the cab built, but unfinished from TRM, then did the rest. I did the same with the head cab, which I got on eBay.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

tsbot

Dude that is an awesome looking cab!  What are you into it for if you don't mind me asking?  Ps - nice mic :)!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on December 10, 2015, 02:01:21 PM
Dude that is an awesome looking cab!  What are you into it for if you don't mind me asking?  Ps - nice mic :)!

Haha - I've been wondering the same thing myself, and kind of avoiding adding up the cost!

The cab itself is $200 shipped.
The aluminum clamps were $40 iirc for two sets of 4.
The handles and grills were $50 from the site Tim from TRM suggested (maybe cheaper elsewhere, but i prefer his recommendation)
Used V30's ran me $160 shipped
The Hope 100% Tung Oil, Steel Wool and Sandpaper was maybe just a bit more than $20
I had the rest of the stuff I needed

So the total was about $470. Plus I enjoy doing this type of stuff. There was a guy an hour from me selling a Hard Trucker's Psychedelic Liberator. He agreed to $500 if I could scrape the cash together, but I lost contact with him. Plus, I would have sold the Eminence speakers and upgraded to V30's. So the Hard Trucker cab definitely would have cost me more.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

Nice setup, like the full wood look now.

Are you not using a cab with an EV currently?
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

tsbot

That's a good deal for sure.  The HT's are $800-1000 used.  Don't get me wrong,  they're great cabs - especially if you gig out,  but if I had to do it again,  this would for sure be the best alternative!  I'm almost tempted to sell mine and pocket $400 or so :)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on December 10, 2015, 04:42:41 PM
Nice setup, like the full wood look now.

Are you not using a cab with an EV currently?

I ended up selling the EV, and I have that Mesa Widebody 1x12 listed for sale. I love Mesa cabs, but need the cash and this 212 is light enough to lug around I think. I was really enjoying the EV, but even with the cabinet raised off the floor and the bass turned to 0, I still felt that was too much low-end. I'm much preferring the V30's.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on December 10, 2015, 04:44:58 PM
That's a good deal for sure.  The HT's are $800-1000 used.  Don't get me wrong,  they're great cabs - especially if you gig out,  but if I had to do it again,  this would for sure be the best alternative!  I'm almost tempted to sell mine and pocket $400 or so :)

Well, I finally got a chance to play it and it sounds great! I love front-loaded cabs - much more kick in the bass on attacks without turning up the bass and getting muddy. The pine has a bit more give - a kinda round, smooth vintagey tone to it.

You guys haven't found the hidden detail yet either.

tsbot

Nice! I thought I found it?!  The mic inside the grill?

Heady Jam Fan