Main Menu

Patch Cables

Started by fulltone1989, May 11, 2012, 07:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

I'm currently using some patch cables that sound good to me, but the lengths are a bit constricting and I'm afraid they may fail on me at a gig because of the stresses on the cables. Also, building my own would be cheaper than buying new ones. Long story short, I'm thinking of soldering my own. Is this difficult to do? I have no experience soldering. Isn't all it is is a L, R, and ground?

What type of cable would you folks recommend for this project? I was thinking either Evidence Audio Monorails or Mogami 2524's for the cable part, and either a GLS pancake jack (saves space), or a switchcraft or neutrik offering but please suggest any model #'s you're familiar with.

Also, what's a good soldering iron for this project?\

I've been researching but the general consensus on the web is that everyone does it differently.

Thanks for any help!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

IamWILSON

I actually followed Poster's advice about Mogami 2524's and couldn't be happier.  I am mostly using the planet waves solderless patch cables, and am very happy with them, but I got some of the mogami 2524's made with the GLS pancake jacks and they are holding up great, even with all the weird twisting I've done to a couple of them.  And if you wanted to try the PW solderless, you can get them delivered from Amazon for like $40 to make 5 cables, so that isn't too bad. 

I do agree, that learning to do this on your own is the way to go, but in all honesty, after you add up the cost of the solder iron and then buy a bunch of cable and jacks in bulk, you will have to make tons of cables for the rest of your life for the value to even out.  Hopefully someday soon I can get a solder iron and start doing this stuff on my own too!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

MomaDan

I bought this starter kit http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tools.html

Its gets here on Tuesday so I'm sure there will be plenty of questions to follow ;D. I need to make a few cables cause the boomerang has the cable jacks reversed. Along with other modding and pedal building
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

fulltone1989

I'm actually looking at those exact cables and plugs, so you like them?

I'm trying to source the cheapest GLS pancake plugs but I'm planning on making my own cables, it doesn't seem like too difficult a process. Really cheap compared to buying premade too!

MomaDan, I think I saw your post on TGP but that looks like a great setup. You may want to check out the 3rd hand, seems useful.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

I love my trouble free George L patch cables. I bought the cable and connectors used and simply cut and screwed them together solderlessly.

With that being said, I am one that has grown to live soldering. I solder something every month. Once you have the skill and equipment, you will find yourself ready to take on any DIY or mod project. Also I just got a proto breadboard and it's fun to layout simple projects ahead of time. Soooo rewarding too. Food for thought.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on May 13, 2012, 10:13:54 AM
I love my trouble free George L patch cables. I bought the cable and connectors used and simply cut and screwed them together solderlessly.

With that being said, I am one that has grown to live soldering. I solder something every month. Once you have the skill and equipment, you will find yourself ready to take on any DIY or mod project. Also I just got a proto breadboard and it's fun to layout simple projects ahead of time. Soooo rewarding too. Food for thought.

Would you consider soldering patch cables a beginner project? The youtube vids out there make it look doable for sure.

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

MomaDan - Can you post a review of that kit after you've gotten some use on it.  That looks like a great little starter package there, and may be my gateway into this hobby. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Dude that's a great kit. I have basically the same solder gun and multimeter and such. Do it!

MomaDan

Yea I'll post something later in the week. The kit seems worth just due to the cost of the station. Some pen irons cost more and everyone suggests using a soldering station.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

fulltone1989

Quote from: MomaDan on May 13, 2012, 04:50:20 PM
Yea I'll post something later in the week. The kit seems worth just due to the cost of the station. Some pen irons cost more and everyone suggests using a soldering station.

I agree about buying a station versus a pen or gun. I was told not to get anything more than 30 watts for guitar, is this true?

Heady Jam Fan

If the soldering iron is too hot it can damage some equipment (ie pickups) so you want to be able to control it ideally.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Here is my advice. Get one with plenty of watts and keep it damn hot. Get into your work piece fast, apply the solder and get off. If you stay on to long then the start building up heat throughout the components. If you find yourself taking too long, even too many seconds, just let off for a good minute and let all the residual heat dissipate.
If you have a low watt solder gun you are going to have to spend more time getting the workpiece hot enough for the solder to flow. By that time you are really soaking your components with internal heat and you could be damaging them internally.
Again get it hot; get on it, solder it, and get the fuck off of it!  You will be the soldering king!!!

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I don't have a temp-controlled one honestly, but I am weary when soldering certain components. If I was doing more soldering, I don't know if I would get a better option, like a good station, or stuff for a heat sink.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

I ended up getting a 30W pen - Damn you radioshack   :-\

Nonetheless, I am excited to get started on the project and hopefully I get good enough at making patch cables.