NPD: SRB808 Plus 2in1 Dual Drive (classic 808>9)

Started by Heady Jam Fan, May 21, 2012, 02:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Just got my custom SRB808, which is a classic 808>9, but true bypass.

Only had about 20 minutes with it so far, but I am pretty impressed. It is feels different than some other TS variants, but probably in a good way - sounds very clear too. I need more time before I write a review and unfortunately I just started a new semester of grad school classes, but I am hoping to do an audio comparison with my Analogman Silvers.

Off the bat - I think it beats a modern/recent stock TS by a long shot, it is priced quite reasonably and the True Bypass options absolutely makes it worth while! Two TS buffers bogs down your top end (and on top of a Ross and the midrange of a TS, the TB makes a nice difference).

It generally feels a bit more open - not sure if it is tonally or compression. It might be the buffers interacting with the other pedal honestly. The texture of the overdrive is a little different too, maybe more natural sounding. I will make this less vague once I actually get to put it through the paces!

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Brian27

Im getting my custom SRB808 hopefully this week. How long did yours take to get there after you ordered it?

Heady Jam Fan

That is a tricky question because about a month and a half ago  Dave was ill for a week, his son was ill at some point then his brother passed away only 2-3 weeks ago. To be honest, it took about 14 weeks and we emailed several times after 7 weeks (which was a week longer than his site said it usually takes). In some of those emails he said it would go out soon, but I didn't rush him due to the unfortunate situations. After he shipped it, it only took a few days.

I suspect he is working hard to catch up on orders, though I am sure it is tough to completely focus on work for too long still.

What custom options did you go for?
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

JamVol

Hey
I also have this pedal.  I have had it for about 2 years and have enjoyed it.  It has a more transparent sound than a stock ts9 and with the 3 way clipping it is similar to the fulltone fulldrive.  I prefer the tone of the modded tubscreamer sour d sent me to the SRB 808.  If anyone is interested i would let mine go for 150.
Guitars:  Ibanez ADJ91,  Ibanez AWD82, Martin D41  
Effects: GBC95--Ibanez Tubescreamer--Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808 plus Duel Drive--CmatMods Ross Clone--Nova Repeater--Boss TU-2--Digitech Jamman Delay                           
Amp: Fender DDRI
Effects not in use: Whammy 4 and various other crap

Heady Jam Fan

Nice!

Just a note - the one I have is not one of his designs with the switches and increased bass, etc, I asked him to get as close to the sound of an early TS808>TS9.

Out of curiosity, what mods are on your TS from Sour D?

Brian27

Heady Jam Fan

The two switches on an SRB or on an Ibanez TS?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: JamVol on May 22, 2012, 01:12:24 PM
Hey
I also have this pedal.  I have had it for about 2 years and have enjoyed it.  It has a more transparent sound than a stock ts9 and with the 3 way clipping it is similar to the fulltone fulldrive.  I prefer the tone of the modded tubscreamer sour d sent me to the SRB 808.  If anyone is interested i would let mine go for 150.

Ok, I must be reading something wrong, lol, long day at work and the AC is broken. I am reading the above in bold as Sour_D hooking you up with a different TS that replaced the SRB808 - I was asking what that different TS is that replaced it? Is it another SRB808?

JamVol

I am not sure I think that it is just modded to 808 specs.  I also have a stock ts9 that i am using with the modded one from sour.  The SRB is the juiced up one with the bass boost and seems to have quite a bit more gain.  I just prefer the two ts9's to the SRB 808 as i think it sounds a little warmer.
Guitars:  Ibanez ADJ91,  Ibanez AWD82, Martin D41  
Effects: GBC95--Ibanez Tubescreamer--Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808 plus Duel Drive--CmatMods Ross Clone--Nova Repeater--Boss TU-2--Digitech Jamman Delay                           
Amp: Fender DDRI
Effects not in use: Whammy 4 and various other crap

sour d

Quote from: JamVol on May 22, 2012, 03:50:41 PM
I am not sure I think that it is just modded to 808 specs.
If I remember correctly, it was just an 808 mod. Allen bradley carbon comp resistors and a chip socket with a jrc4558d from '84.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe