Main Menu

Whammy V?!

Started by fulltone1989, April 17, 2012, 04:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Quote from: MomaDan on May 16, 2012, 11:16:02 PM
Just got a gift card to sam ash. this is my likely buy with it

Great choice, did you make a post on TGP?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

MomaDan

yea i acknowledged your suggestion  :D
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

fulltone1989

Quote from: MomaDan on May 18, 2012, 05:06:07 PM
yea i acknowledged your suggestion  :D

;D ;D ;D This whammy version looks pretty useful!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

fulltone1989

So it's been out for a few weeks, anybody try one yet?

Happyorange27

I just got out of guitar center. At first they only had the four but they pulled a five out of the back. I thought it was a decent pedal and the tracking wasn't too shabby. You can select between classic or cords and I think the latter allows for better tracking with more than one note at a time. I can't say I noticed a whole difference between the two. Mind you I was playing through the shittiest guitar and amp combination that I had available to me. So don't give me too much shit for this crappy recording through my phone and be out of tune guitar.

http://soundcloud.com/happyorange27/whammy-v

I only find about two or three settings really useful the other ones are just kind of hokey. Don't get me wrong it definitely would be a good for Sirens and such. But I could be mistaken but it doesn't have the second down like the Second down like that Whammy II. And I've never played a whammy two so I can't tell you if this peddle was better or worse or equal.

And now you have an official report per your request!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on June 26, 2012, 07:44:45 PM
I just got out of guitar center. At first they only had the four but they pulled a five out of the back. I thought it was a decent pedal and the tracking wasn't too shabby. You can select between classic or cords and I think the latter allows for better tracking with more than one note at a time. I can't say I noticed a whole difference between the two. Mind you I was playing through the shittiest guitar and amp combination that I had available to me. So don't give me too much shit for this crappy recording through my phone and be out of tune guitar.

http://soundcloud.com/happyorange27/whammy-v

I only find about two or three settings really useful the other ones are just kind of hokey. Don't get me wrong it definitely would be a good for Sirens and such. But I could be mistaken but it doesn't have the second down like the Second down like that Whammy II. And I've never played a whammy two so I can't tell you if this peddle was better or worse or equal.

And now you have an official report per your request!

Thanks Happy! I'm a bit confused about the 2nd down function as I haven't played a V but owned the II for awhile. Trey used the 2nd down function all the time during summer 2009 on his II. How I got the sound and how I think he would have, is to have the 2nd down engaged, pluck the note, and then move the treadle to the heel down where the note would be normal or at least that's what it sounds like to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRNot1USgc&feature=watch_response

Poster

oh you guys  ::) the wham 2 was made by DOD and the chipset is long gone. youll never get an accurate emulation of that pedal. the new whammy sucks a ugly cock. I played with one at pro guitar shop with a nice rig, and I hated everything about it. how they can go some far from the 2 is pretty wild to me. 

sour d

Quote from: Poster on June 26, 2012, 11:25:05 PM
oh you guys  ::) the wham 2 was made by DOD and the chipset is long gone. youll never get an accurate emulation of that pedal. the new whammy sucks a ugly cock. I played with one at pro guitar shop with a nice rig, and I hated everything about it. how they can go some far from the 2 is pretty wild to me. 
I agree. The chips were made by IVL. A canadian company. They were used in the whammy1 and 2 and some of the early rack harmonizers like the IPS-33B. As far as I've seen with my own eyes, there were several revs of the whammy1 ( I've seen up to rev F if I remember correctly) and they all sound great and they all had the IVL processor. Same with the whammy2. The whammy4, whammy dt and the whammy5 all sound inferior to me. Thin and nasally. I would use an XP100 if I had to. They sound alright and they have a shit load of settings including a tuner.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Brian27

The XP100 makes a great alternative to the Whammy. I had one at one time and loved it, but having to remember the presets was difficult at times. I would have to write them down and keep them on the floor like a set list which got old so i dont have it anymore

webephishin

I just won a buttload of cash from fantasy football so I'm thinkin bout investing in a whammy IV....I have searched long and hard for a decent demo on youtube but they all make the whammy IV sound like ass.  All those harmony mods sound terrible to me...all i'm looking for is that slight pitch-bending sound that trey uses.  Does anyone know how to reach that sound (ie what setting) on the IV or have a youtube demo that depicts that effect?  Listening to all these demos are giving me an upset stomach lol.  Better yet, anyone recommend a different company besides digitech that makes a whammy?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

fulltone1989

Quote from: webephishin on December 24, 2012, 08:10:09 PM
I just won a buttload of cash from fantasy football so I'm thinkin bout investing in a whammy IV....I have searched long and hard for a decent demo on youtube but they all make the whammy IV sound like ass.  All those harmony mods sound terrible to me...all i'm looking for is that slight pitch-bending sound that trey uses.  Does anyone know how to reach that sound (ie what setting) on the IV or have a youtube demo that depicts that effect?  Listening to all these demos are giving me an upset stomach lol.  Better yet, anyone recommend a different company besides digitech that makes a whammy?

I'd check out the V. Better tracking, true bypass, and has similar settings to the II that the IV does not.

sour d

Trey likes to use the 2nd down on the whammy2. On the 4 you would use the drop tune setting to get close if I remember correctly or use the 1 octave down and only use a portion of the treadle motion. Drop tune not detune.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

sour d

If you're gonna spend $200 you might as well find a whammy 2. If the 5 is anything like the 4 it won't last very long.

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on December 25, 2012, 01:07:33 PM
If you're gonna spend $200 you might as well find a whammy 2. If the 5 is anything like the 4 it won't last very long.

Had the 4 for awhile and it is nothing like it! I agree in saying the 4's buffer was shit. II's are getting pretty rare and when I had mine it needed repairs, YMMV though.

sour d

Quote from: fulltone1989 on December 25, 2012, 02:16:26 PM
Had the 4 for awhile and it is nothing like it! I agree in saying the 4's buffer was shit. II's are getting pretty rare and when I had mine it needed repairs, YMMV though.
Repairs are one thing. Usually a dirty switch or a bad jack or something repairable. I've had the same 2 whammy2's for years. I might have purchased them because they were "broken". With the 4's they break in ways that cannot be repaired. That's what I was trying to say.

And why doesn't digitech make a version that allows you to switch settings with your foot and have the 2 presets like the whammy2? I know you can buy those little wheel thingys to replace the knob but it's not the same. If you are using a whammy 4 Molten Midi has some add on midi controller stuff to help with that bending over problem.