Reissued: Black Cat Vibe

Started by Happyorange27, August 20, 2012, 02:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Yes people.  It is on it's way to me.  One of the first 30 reissued Black Cat Vibe pedals.  I made the elite list and I shall have it within days.  God has smiled upon me.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Aw Yeah! I put my name up on a list too but idk if I will pull the trigger when my name comes up. Make sure you post lotsa demos!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

raisingfreen

Mine arrived today. Very nice box and packaging. Even comes with nice little pouch bag for storage, stickers, and adapter. I got #10.

Sounds good so far and volume knob set just above 12 is unity gain it seems.

I'm sure a sound sample will pop up soon enough.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

Sweet. Mine arrived at work address but I took a half day so I will wait. So glad they numbered them! Looking forward to clips.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Freen - How does it compare to vibes you've tried in the past? Have you played the Mni Deja Vibe?

I really want to try one of these in a few months when they're readily available, unfortunately I predict the used market will be pretty packed with used Deja Vibes with folks trying to sell theirs to fund a Black Cat Vibe.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

raisingfreen

Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 24, 2012, 04:14:06 PM
How does it compare to vibes you've tried in the past? Have you played the Mni Deja Vibe?

The sound seems a little more controlled and focused. I have tried the MDV and I would say they are in the same league. Just different. Have not tried the expression ext yet. I have not tried the Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe either but have heard that is a high end unit as well.

Happyorange27

I have it!  Look pretty cool.  But something is rattling around pretty loosely inside.  I hope that nothing is damaged.  I won't be able to inspect the inside till I get it home.  I got #8!

Happyorange27

Ok so the photo cell dome fell of in shipping. I snapped it back on but I fear the photocells are misaligned. Tom from Black Cat is going to get back to me. And the throb isn't really impressive. Here is a crappy comparison through my phone.
http://soundcloud.com/happyorange27/sounds-from-monday-evening

raisingfreen

I think there are too many variables going on to make a accurate call on your black cat vibe. Based on the phone recording neither sounds that great but more specifically the intensity/throb sounds faster on the first sample. I can say that the controls don't seem to have the same range that the originals had in that they seem to have even more range. I felt the new Black Cat is pretty sensitive setting wise. Big change with small increments with good full range.

For example if you look at "the light is growing brighter" etc....page and try to dial in the same settings as Trey has it does not sound that great. Way too fast/throbby. I think the new one sounded the same as a few Trey clips at about half of those pictured settings. The volume setting on the new one is also really good at helping with the tone. Seems to be unity at 12 noon and then boost.

I bet they will send you a new one and just fix yours.

Happyorange27

Well I'm going to try to bend the photocells back per his instructions to the proper angle then adjust the trim pot by ear as well.  The latter is what Bob Bradshaw says you should do as well.

Happyorange27

Yeah I fixed and adjusted the photo cells and the light intensity trimpot. The trimpot needs to be adjusted so that the bulb just barely peaks. Too much and you get bad detuning. I can't say this new vibe beats out my Wilson Haze at this point.

raisingfreen

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 28, 2012, 08:47:11 PM
Yeah I fixed and adjusted the photo cells and the light intensity trimpot. The trimpot needs to be adjusted so that the bulb just barely peaks.

This is crazy. Did you contact the company and see if they would fix it for you? If I was Black Cat and just came out with a new product and this happened I would have immediately sent you a new one and taken the old one back in for repairs. Did they not offer to do this? Just does not make sense.

The one I have sounds perfect and by far more usable than any other I have tried. Much more flexibility and the adjustments or range is really nice. I really hope they decide to take care of you unless for some reason you told them you would fix it yourself. Customers are getting scarce as well as competition increasing so I cant imagine they would not bend over backwards to make it right.

Happyorange27

Yeah actually Tom has been super helpful and responsive.  I kind of offered to stick my nose in there if I could take care of the issue myself and so I did.  I'm sure if I wanted to just get the damn thing replaced he would do that.  But since I'm a gear tweaker and builder, I didn't mind doing this.  I actually learned how these things work a little better.  So there is nothing wrong with the customer service at all, I'm just a proud DIY nerd.
I really think everything is just fine now.  The pedal is good, just different than my Wilson Haze.  I did have to tweak my Haze as well which is totally recommended by Wilson.  It's just another custom setting to your liking but obviously inside the pedal.
I've got a jam session with the band this Sunday and I'll put the BCV through its paces.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 29, 2012, 11:00:31 AM
Yeah actually Tom has been super helpful and responsive.  I kind of offered to stick my nose in there if I could take care of the issue myself and so I did.  I'm sure if I wanted to just get the damn thing replaced he would do that.  But since I'm a gear tweaker and builder, I didn't mind doing this.  I actually learned how these things work a little better.  So there is nothing wrong with the customer service at all, I'm just a proud DIY nerd.
I really think everything is just fine now.  The pedal is good, just different than my Wilson Haze.  I did have to tweak my Haze as well which is totally recommended by Wilson.  It's just another custom setting to your liking but obviously inside the pedal.
I've got a jam session with the band this Sunday and I'll put the BCV through its paces.

How'd the jam go? My name came up on the BCV list but to be honest I am a bit hesitant on getting it, is it really that much better than the MDV? I've been looking at other vibes and while this is a TGP find, it does sound very sweet.

http://www.drybell.com/vibe_machine_v1_en.html

manicstarseed

Quote from: fulltone1989 on September 13, 2012, 10:34:34 AM

.... I've been looking at other vibes and while this is a TGP find, it does sound very sweet.

http://www.drybell.com/vibe_machine_v1_en.html

Have it(#30)/Love it. Its the only Vibe I ever had, so I have no real basis of comparison. Its a real clear strong vibe and meets my needs. Its been a little while since I plugged into my pedal board, so I do not want to get to descriptive.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker