Main Menu

P

Started by Poster, September 23, 2009, 09:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

P
G

sour d

Congrats! I love my 64 with the original oxford. It was reconed at some point. I usually have the volume on 4-4 1/2. Treble on like 6. Bass on like 4 1/2. What kind of tubes do you have in it? There isn't a shitload of volume with these so I usually jumper from input 2 to another amp. I always think when I look at it that the guys that built my amp were paying 42 cents a gallon for gas on the way to work. That puts it in perspective how old it is.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Post some pics!  ;D

Good ones too, I want some close ups!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

ceebers

On my deluxe's I have always been decent with 3 on bass and 5 or 6 on treble as a starting point.

The tone stack on Blackface amps are cuts, not adds. Anything over 5 on bass always seemed to constipate my tone some, but that only with my guitar and chain. I had read somewhere a while back something some amp guru guy wrote about how fenders only 'sing' when the treble is at 6 or above.... I used to run my treble 4 or so because I thought it would boost mids more or at least not shadow them so much, I felt like it was a bright amp after switching from my Mesa Mk II.

I tried it with the treble up at 6, and after I while, I really felt it sang more, and cut through, without being any harsher.. I ended up changing some of those shrill sounding 7025 RCA pre's out for some other tubes and it evened out the tone more. These amps sound a lot more well balanced and meaty with some other pre's in them.

Congrats on the amp!

Poster

"""""""""

cactuskeeb

cactuskeeb

I love how you erased this musical journey by travelling back in time and changing the whole thing.  You need to let me borrow that most-excellent phonebooth, Rufus, I...sorry, Ted, I mean WE...need to travel back in time and get Abe Lincoln, So-Krates, and Napoleon to make the dudes and dudettes go wild when I present my history project to the entire school, auditorium-style.

Sincerely,
Wild Stallions

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on October 21, 2009, 12:41:01 PM
I love how you erased this musical journey by travelling back in time and changing the whole thing.  You need to let me borrow that most-excellent phonebooth, Rufus, I...sorry, Ted, I mean WE...need to travel back in time and get Abe Lincoln, So-Krates, and Napoleon to make the dudes and dudettes go wild when I present my history project to the entire school, auditorium-style.

Sincerely,
Wild Stallions

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

jadirusso

anyone have suggestions on preamp tubes to replace the stock ones with on DRRI? I'm looking to have a fuller sound as the high end is a bit brittle on mine.. I'd like to maybe turn my treble up some to get it to sing but it gets too harsh when I turn it up.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

jadirusso

hmm ok yeah that mid pull pot thing sounds very interesting.. Is that something that any amp tech should be able to do?
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

cactuskeeb

Run, do not walk, from one of these boards.  It's not the solder.. that's fine, I'm sure.  

What boggles my mind, rather, is how this thing at the top of the page is supposed to be different from what's in a DRRI?  A bunch of unpredictable "new batch" Allen Bradleys' and some dirt cheap caps for the tone-section?  Those aren't orange drops, sorry...they're red and cost two cents a piece.

(edit: what you want is HARD-wired, not HAND-wired.  They are all hand-wired at the fender factory.  Hard-wired means no circuit board traces (see those silver lines between suspended solder posts?  well, those are traces, my friends.  They add an extra capacitive load to any circuit design that you don't find in hard-wired amps--a la those from the 60s).

sour d

Quote from: cactuskeeb on November 18, 2009, 11:42:53 AM
Run, do not walk, from one of these boards.
Hard-wired means no circuit board traces (see those silver lines between suspended solder posts?  well, those are traces, my friends.  They add an extra capacitive load to any circuit design that you don't find in hard-wired amps--a la those from the 60s).

I'm sure you know a lot more than I do on this but those aren't traces, that is wire from lug to lug. It may not be cloth covered but its wire. I would say for the money that this would be a huge upgrade from the crap they build the DRRI from. We aren't talking about a $1000 dollar chassis here, I think these go for under $200. Replace the caps with what you want. It's about the "point to point" wiring. Real easy to work on. This is the same type of wiring technique you will see in a $3000 victoria amp (or many other boutique amps).

cactuskeeb

yeah, you're right, that is wire (I was looking on a pc laptop, now I can see it clearly on my mac).  It's bare buss wire used for grounding schemes--like when you're lacking the brass grounding plate for your DRRI [EDIT: just plain DR] you buy a bunch of this stuff and loop it around inside the chassis, soldering sections of it to ground.  But here it's used as jumper wire to constitute the main signal path....seriously, guys, even these explanations are giving it more credit than it deserves.  The whole point is to make a Perfect Amp from the business-end of things.  In the movie, Alien, the android Ash remarks that the creature the crew found is a "perfect organism" in respect to its aim, which is survival.  The alien sole aim as a species is the extermination of all species but its own.  In direct relation to the alien's cunningness in the real world of organisms, in the fabricated world of the online marketplace, better-business oriented amps boards will trump those built in light of any other considerations (e.g., tone).

Why do you think this is a huge upgrade?  What have they upgraded?  Depending on how you look at it, the replacement of carbon film resistors with all "vintage" carbon composition might be an upgrade or downgrade.  

I read the price breakdown, that's always the main problem I have with these kinds of things... I'm not posting these comments to be a snob... it's to give my friends here a fighting chance in the decisions they make on what gear to buy.

[EDIT 2:  the time when "boutique" carried any weight has passed.  If it's being sold right now, and it's referenced as being boutique or hand-crafted or lovely-rendered, it's in reality just a brittle-sounding, thinned-out tone that hurts your girlfriend's ears.

sour d