Running Guitar Rig into Computer

Started by strangedesign, August 04, 2008, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

Hey guys! What the best way to record my guitar on my computer? Are there any certain sound cards or external devices you guys recomend?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

I have never run Directly into a computer before but this guy who owns the studio that we record in does this and his set-up is preetty simple... He runs a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman (this is a tube floor pre-amp and speaker cab emulator , and its sounds pretty good) then he runs it through an interface, I think it is a Fire wire solo. he has a few, he uses this one becuase it is cheap and sounds good and its small. He has a Rackmount Version but I think he said it was like 1200 dollars I could get the name if you want it. He then runs it fire wire to his comp which has a program of effect and stomps, then right to logic.

He records straight to a comp almost everytime... He does it this way when he is not using his Brian Moore, He dosent always use his brian moore becuase he thinks it too bright,

My band and I do it differnt. We use Logic, We mic all our amps and cabs, we have two different drum sets that we have been using to record our Cd. We have been using a pearl Studio set from 1969. Its cool, doesnt have bottom drum heads becuase it is designed to place a mic directly in every drum, so we do that... and then we have a Roland 20s v Pro, It sounds soo good when recording. for me I just run two condensor mics placed on my cabs at different distances run into a Allen and HEath 428, then into a Mac-pro. and we use Apple Logic as our Recording tool. We used to use Garage Band wich is a great progam, and will work for basically any minor recoding stuff, we use it when we are recording our Jams just for the hell of it, Logic just has every bell and whistle you could Imagine. I play in a Professional studio everynight, and I am in there for hours at a time, if you want I could snap some pics... Let me know
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Poster

phonic makes a clone of the firepod firewire interface that pretty cheap and works like a champ with pretty incredible latency. we use one plugged directly into a macbook pro running this free application called reaper. reaper is just like sonar 7 producers edition but free and dependable.

strangedesign

thanks guys! That's exactly what I was looking for.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

As far as mics are concerned, I don't think you could go wrong with a shure sm-57.