Main Menu

Trey's STL tone

Started by IamWILSON, August 29, 2012, 02:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

I dunno about any of this but i am gunna get me some of that Shit in Denver! bring it!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

MomaDan

Im just gonna email Sarno and PM him on gearpage if he has an account there. Worked when I had a question for Kimock, he was very informative and pleasant to speak to.

Edit: Changed my post title to reflect Sarno's statement. Someone can post this on PT if they want. Some retard there kept arguing that vibrato was the effect used in Access Me, not a hand technique Trey has used forever.

"Trey did indeed use the Earth Drive the other night in St. Louis. He messed around with it in soundcheck and dug it. So he then had Brian (his tech) wire it into his setup. He still had his standard TS9 pair, but also the Earth Drive yet another drive option. He set the Earth Drive as a fairly mild and subtle drive sound. "

Here's a pic of it right above his amp switcher:

Brad"

LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Helluva pic of the Repeater!!!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

raisingfreen

Quote from: MomaDan on August 30, 2012, 07:01:29 PM
Some retard there kept arguing that vibrato was the effect used in Access Me, not a hand technique Trey has used forever.

Ummm.... Off topic but before you look any further try playing the exact same lick/chord part/downbeat etc... in Access Me with a variable rate "Tremolo" pedal such as the Supa-Trem or others that have two speeds and/or are speed controlled by a pedal. It's dead nuts on to that sound in Access Me. You can actually see him using his CAE Trem (the pedal part) while playing the song. He just speeds up or slows down the trem on the downbeat/chord (albeit sometimes with a few other effects happening such as some leslie or mild overdrive. I was curious to so I finally saw how he did it in Manchester last year.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

Our favorite amp tech B.C. shared that Brian Brown was pretty excited about breaking out the Deluxe for STL.  The "unprocessed" and simple setup was something that was welcomed.  I'll be chatting with B.C. later to get more details.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Interesting... the Earth Drive isn't supposed to be anything like a TS in my understanding. I know a few people who play a lot of Floyd liked it as an overdrive - those not going for an exact Gilmour replica board often use a Keeley BD2 or Timmy, both are far from a TS9's midrange and compression.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Walker done done on August 30, 2012, 10:19:17 PM
Helluva pic of the Repeater!!!

Agreed! I wonder what sound his repeater settings approximate? Funk Siren?

I've never tried a Earth Drive but the first time I heard it on the STL SBD it was pretty distinct, and definitely not in a good way.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.