Groove Tubes Soul-O-30 Reverb Combo

Started by raisingfreen, January 30, 2012, 04:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

For sale:
Groove Tubes Soul-O 30 Reverb. 30 watt Class A Dual 6L6 tube amp with PREBIAS control and tube reverb. (Can also use KT66 as shown)
Rare and no longer manufactured. Designed and hand built by Aspen Pittman's Groove tubes facility. According to his book he designed the power stage like a Supro Thunderbolt with the preamp of his Park 45. Excellent working and cosmetic condition. No footswitch included. Great portable/versatile rig with plenty of volume for small/medium clubs. Best effects loop I have ever used. Can dial in just the right amount via the mix knob or blend with standard volume pedal. Pre-Bias knob is the extremely useful. Same size (width) as rack mount GT amps such as GT 45, 75 etc... All original with no modifications. Please read PDF for much more info.

Here is a link to the manual and specs.
http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1905_S30%20Manual%20Rev%203.pdf
PM me with any questions outside of what is mentioned in PDF specs.

$950 Shipped within the US. Paypal or local pickup.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

sour d

Another kick ass amp I have to pass on. You never see these for sale!
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Daaaaaamn dude, that's a beaut!  See, if I was loaded, this would be one in my collection.  She looks like she's in great shape too.  Good score.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

the_great_lemon

I had the opportunity to play one of these somewhat recently, and it sounded toooootally killer.  Couldn't quite figure out what the pre-bias control did, though effective at doing something not quite sure what that was...maybe how much signal the preamp tubes get?  ???
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

raisingfreen

A few thoughts on this amp I thought may be useful to anyone interested.

It looks like it would be heavy but it feels just like picking up a Deluxe or Vibrolux. Easy on the back.

The prebias control: while the PDF explains this in technical terms, what I have found it to be similar to is swapping the preamp tubes on a Deluxe Reverb for more or less gain or removing the preamp tube on V1 on a DR for more gain (using the second channel). I found using the medium setting just perfect for most humbuckers. But the point is you can tailor the preamp for whatever you like regarding pickups or preamp gain.

The presence control: adds just the right amount of clarity for the room. If you really want the amp to react you just turn this up a bit and you get mucho dynamics.

The basic tone controls: These work the way we would all like Fenders to in reality. You can really dial in a good midrange Boogie sound by adding mids and reducing bass. Can stay clean but can also cut through.

Gain control: Works just like one would imagine however the pull boost does not add ear piecing highs. Its just a solid clean boost that thickens up the tone perfect. I usually leave this on all the time (unlike Fender pull boosts). Can be foot controlled however and is better than any boost pedal I have tried. In theory one would only need one tube screamer alongside with this as it is just the perfect amount.
There is also a little secret internal trim pot that you can adjust the amount of boost. Easy to access from the underside of the chassis.

Stock speaker: Its made by Celestion and appears to be a nice efficient ceramic. Most likely about 60 watts. I have an V30 and the GTs stock speaker sounds very similar.

Multiple Impedance: Want to add a cab? No problem do the math and turn the dial.

Output Tubes: Can use 6L6 or KT66. I liked the KT66 (never even heard of these before).

Effects loop: I think it sounded best by keeping delays and modulation in the loop. The mix knob is extremely useful especially adding subtle modulation. The effects mix can also be controlled by a basic volume pedal. Lots of options with that feature.

Another cool benefit is that you could rack mount this amp as they make adapters that can screw into the sides. The chassis is the same width as a standard rack unit. Some of the older Groove Tubes amps did just that and even had an extra space within the combo to add another effect.

In any case, if anyone is interested feel free to PM.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux