NO Chance he plays a GCB

Started by Stiles12, July 23, 2008, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

Im Sorry but I think Brian is trying to trick us all about one of the most cruicial aspects of Treys Rig. There is absolutly no way that Trey plays a stock GCB 95. I have gone back to mine and been playing with it again for almost a year now and I know for a fact that there is just no possible way that Trey uses this thing. I sounds like a tine can... Also Have you ever tried to use it with TS9's, it sounds like balls and trey solos a lot with his ts9s on and his wah engaged.

Strangedesign- I know that you went back to your GCB 95, are you getting the same feeling, If not please god let me know what you have done to change it, becuase it is the worst Stock Wah pedal available period

I am either sending mine somewhere or buying another RMC... Anyone got any advice fr me or anything to sell by chance.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

I have questioned this several times. Glenn, Brian's employer, also questioned it. I believe Brian. He did say that they had to go through many GCB-95's before they found one that sounded good. Mine is just worn out and needs some work, but I think it still sounds better then the RMC3. My RMC is really noisy when I turn it on. I might pull it back out before too long ad start messing around with it again. I used to have a document that listed all the tunings of the RMC3 to make it sound like any other wha, but I can't not find it anymore. anyone have this document? I really would like to setup the RMC3 to sound like the GCB-95.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

Where does your wah stand in you chain, I have had a problem when it was in the begining (like it should be) I had a VP > Wah > 2xTS9 > Looper> Amp

Its pathetic I use the Q-tron on extreme settings now to get a wah sound I have to leave the Q on top of my rack so I can adjust it on the fly. I went out and bought a GCB 95 right when we discovered that trey "actually" uses one and From that day on I know that he cant use this wah standard
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

I agree with Stiles in as much as it can't be a stock GCB (my argument here: http://www.strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=692.msg1891#msg1891).  However, I do not think Brian Brown is trying to lead people astray; rather, I would argue that he doesn't know anything about wahs, and thus is simply using his best judgment in saying that it's an especially hand-picked, so to speak, GCB wah. 

Remember the old quote from Brian concerning Trey's tube index?  It went something like this: the first tube the guitar signal meets inside the amp is a 12AT7 instead of a 12AX7.  This is either a misprint, misquote, or Brian's misunderstanding.  But now we know for certain that he (Brian) knows the correct index: the second tube the guitar meets inside the amp is a 12AT7, instead of a 12AX7.

cactuskeeb

Haha wait I think it's clear to me now: it's because Trey has an endorsement deal with dunlop that Brian has to say it's a GCB.  Trey endorses dr strings, appears in their advertisements, so why not dunlop as well - especially since they have one of the most aggressive advertising presence in the biz, they have a huge index of musicians that endorse their products (which are the about as economically produced as they come). 

Here's another thought that's both disconcerting and seemingly not an unobvious thing to assume about a lot of what's purportedly a part or piece of trey's setup: celestion pays brian a dividend for saying that trey's speakers are the ultra expensive,  alnico blues

edit: When asked in an interview published in a major guitar mag whether the speaker in his Fender DR is stock or not, Trey answers "yes, but a friend [helped test different caps and resistors...]" -- the friend here is vermont amp tech, bill carruth, but we already knew that the amp was modified in this manner to suit the style(s) of trey's guitar playing.  This is the only mention Trey's ever made to the public about the speaker (or speakers in general), which is, for the year(s) of his fender deluxe reverb(s), the Oxford 12K5-6 (used, with or without original cone, this speaker sells on the internet for 70-100 dollars).

Walker done done

I agree - the wah is NOT a GCB-95 & it is Trey's manor to just fuck w/ all of us, knowing his sense of humor.....and I agree also that you should either send your wah to Gary @ Garmopat or just buy one of his modded Vox's.  I had him mod my Vox and effin' love it. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Stiles12

Wait are you talking about this cracked out diagram. First of all where are the 4 "verbs" coming from. he only has the one midi verb and his amp to reverb things. also the Volume pedal after the amp before the midiverb. I have never seen two volumes, except during that 2000 run wear he was playing with the keyboard next to him, he was also using to boomerangs at that time.

I got to send some pedals out to get help, I was thinking either Keeley or your boys at garmopat, I just dont know about them, there website blows, theres no reveiws, theres sound clips, there no pictures of componets used, it just seems a little sketchy. Keeley has reveiws and pros playing his pedals, sound clips diagrams,  youtube clips. Dosnt that just sound like a better option for the same price. Plus his compressor rips.

SPL Transducer

Stiles12

SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

cactuskeeb

This picture represents the completion of Trey's Bob Bradshaw built rack system.  The two 4x4 switchers are the conceptual centers of the rig.  If you start from either one of them, there is both a single input and single output, and everything else connected to them will either represent the start or finish of a loop. 

The microverb itself has a multitude of different verb sounds.  The reason the switching system has several microverbs is that each one of them in its own loop affords Trey the ability, in a live performance situation, to instantly switch between 4 or 5 different sets of microverb settings.

cactuskeeb

I believe it was Stiles who was mentioning something about Keeley and Analogman.  I was explaining about the weirdness of the diagram, and answering his question about why there were so many verbs. 

Stiles12

But wouldnt that require it to be run in as a midi to be controlled by a hardwired device, the microverb II isnt a midi program as I remeber. also Brian told us that trey only uses his verb set on reverse, and only uses it during solo's.

I never thought about putting pedals in between loops but now that I think about it, it makes so much sense. 

SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

The foot controller for the switcher uses midi to assign different effects combinations to the stomp switches on the foot controller.  The devices.that the switcher turns on and off do not have to be midi compatible.  These devices like the microverb, ibanez delay, whammy, etc., are connected to the switcher "brain" in a purely hard-wired sense.
This schematic of trey's.rig reflects what it looked like  in 1994, when trey can be heard using sometimes several different reverb sounds in a singe song/jam.

Stiles12

I understand that it dosnt have to be midi to work with the audio switcher and the pedal, what I dont understand is how does he change presets of a device for instance his Reverb if his Reverb is not is not run in middi, becuase you cant send communication type signals through 1/4 inch cables even if they are TRS. To change presets at least in my rig if I am going to change presets and settings on a processor that processor has to be run in midi. otherwise you have to turn around and change it by hand.

SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

That's why there's four of them in the rack, that is, four nano- or microverbs (the preference lies with the latter, as Trey has clearly demonstrated).  Trey often had systems on stage that contained multiples of the same effect (see below, for instance, which shows four verbs, two digi delays, and doubles of both the vibe and trem units).