Main Menu

W

Started by Poster, December 31, 2009, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

W
i

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

well...duh  ::) just like your not gunna get Trey tone without Trey's fingers and a basketball arena. Ever hear the term "preaching to the choir?"
go post that same rant on thegearpage.net small builder forum. I'd like to see the responses.

lol

Thanks for enlightening us. Does that include your new custom Hollowbody poster? Also, do you think a 'Doc is worth $10,000. lets say you had the money and you could buy any guitar you want.

And here's a video proving that magic doesn't come from the instrument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaTaod0u3lA
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

picture_of_nectar

all good points posternutbag,

you have to wonder how many of the 90 or so 'Docs made have ever been played out of the house? Or how many of the owners "need" a $10k guitar? I suspect not many. I sure as hell wouldn't be up on stage covering phish tunes with a languedoc. But I'd love to try in my basement...lol

imho owning a Doc would be like owning a Lamborghini...or a Picasso.

Who "needs" one? Maybe a handfull of guitarists could do it justice. Who wants one? Just about everyone. Who would feel like a douchebag playing one in public? just about everyone except Jackson Sneed.  :-\

YouEnjoyMyReba

YouEnjoyMyReba

haha nice! speaking of Miami has anyone seen the setlist? Its fuckin crazy, soul shakedown opener, jesus left chicago, Dixie Cannonball?!?!, Tela, Whats the use, and thats just the first set!  Kinda put that forum about repetitive setlists posted a while back to rest

YouEnjoyMyReba

Passion Presents

I Hosted BK3 with Bill Kreutzman, Oteil, and Scott Murawski. Scott played a Languedoc.......and it hurt :( Ow. Hurt my ears. Goes to show even a great axe with a solid player can sound....well just downright harsh. Tunes were o.k., but tone was not. He was using modelling and no tubes.......that had something to do with it, but stylistically it clashed. Very, very much took me by surprise.

Passion Presents

Cool man, thats good news he is a good guy. I would have much preffered bring down the  65 than a pair of Roland JC 120s   :0 Any tube amp would have let the nature vibrations of a Languedoc ring, where they fell stacato all night. Definitely not knocking the player. That was a good show.

picture_of_nectar

So he got rid of the Line 6 digi moddeler? That's good.

A Languedoc deserves Tubes and quality Analog pedals...

HunSanity

great point.. sort of why i have (in a way) tailed off from being THAT interested in looking at a hollow body.. of course it would be sweet to get one and all, but all that money?  i agree people should want hollow body's cuz they like the tone, not to be like trey's .. cuz liek you said, they are different...its cool that trey sort of revived the hollow body on the scene.  i mean, people are kidding themselves if they think as many bands of the jam variety would now be playing HB's if not for him...

that said i would love one, but you can get some great tone out of a lot of guitars, so why bother trying to ..  okay off to look at hollow bodies (hahahah)

HunSanity

and i know im going to get more awesome "smite" out of this.. but seriously dude you got me thinking, why WOULD someone want ot play a Doc anyway?  with ALL due respect.. and im not talking about just as a hobby or just wanting the golden ax...... sick guitar and all and i would take one in a heartbeat to play around but wouldnt it be more like a collectors item?..  at the end of the day isnt it about finding your OWN? (like someone just said) if trey exactly emulated another guitarists rig (i.e. jimmy page) he wouldnt have his great sound.. i understand it to a point to try to emulate what influenced you, and to mix in and build your own catalog of sound with various styles and sounds (we are creatures of immitation).... IE using a whammy or ts9.. but the exact guitar??   last show i was @ there was that one band there that plays the parking lot.. wtf is their name??  its slipping me, but the dude in THAT band looked to be playing a doc. oh the heavy pets, thats it... so weird if you ax me...no diss to the band or anything the more the merrier...but c,mon..  that is like someone wearing Jordan's DURING a game where they actually played against michael jordan..???
you just dont do that...its one thing if neil plays along with one, but an actualy guy trying to start up a real band using a doc?  imagine going to a festival or whatever and a real band there had a guitar player playing a doc.  i guess i might be cool (im trying) but what would the real musicians think?

okay now SMITE me for having an opinioon....im being WAY to friendly to people and level headed.. who wants that ..hahahaha

picture_of_nectar

I dunno,
Back when Paul wasn't making guitars and Trey was the only oe playing a 'Doc...then yeah I do think somebody would be pinned as a douche ripoff gigging with a 'Doc copy...especially in the lot! lol

Now that Paul is pumping out about 24 guitars a year (two batches of twelve), I think the exclusivity has warn off somewhat.

I mean think about it...Paul obviously puts his heart and soul into the instruments. Do you think he'd want players just hanging them in a glass case up on the wall? I doubt it. I think if somebody has the skill to showcase the tone of the guitar he'd want them out in front of people jamming with it. I mean it's an instrument, not some sort of holy grail.

I think if somebody has one and uses it tastefully, exploring their own style...then who cares? I think a Phish cover band playing a 'Doc and ripping off Trey's licks...well yeah...that's kinda lame.

Personally i think the Heavy Pets are a pretty cool upcoming jamband. i like their style. Here is a vid of them with the lead playing his Doc. Yes they are "Phish-esque"... like any band in the genre. Any Jamband these days is going to be compared to Phish just like Phish was/still always compared to the Dead. But these guys have their own material and their own thing goin'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTSqtxUgsVE&feature=related

I put in a deposit for a G4 recently. It'll be done around September. I am fucking exited as hell, it's really like a dream come true, and I consider myslef very lucky to be in the position to own one. 'll probably have to sell off most of my guitar collection to pay for it, but that's ok. Do I 'deserve' it from a players standpoint? Hell no. But i know for certain it will inspire me to improve as a player everytime I plug in. I As far as being self conscious about giging it in public...I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I know have a long way to go before I could showcase the Guitars potential, but it's something I will own for my entire lifetime so there's plenty of time to age and improve along with the guitar. So yeah, you could consider it more of a collectors item. And I'm ok with that. ;)

HunSanity

i agree with you and i wasnt trying to say it in a negative way towards the dude.  aparently he doesnt play one often, but HAS played one.. there is a pic on the net .. i actually saw that bands van set up in a corner of a lot last tour, and they werent playing, but had a TV on top of their van and in the video the dude had the doc going.. so my first impression was that it was corny.. but now that i know he only does it once in a while i guess i changed my mond a little. haha
so anyway i hear you and in a way i do agree that the thing was made to be played, so why not..  i guess its jus tthat even though he is making them, it still seems liek a custom guitar to me..

i guess i am just speaking for myself, say hypothetically my life was awesome and i got in a band that took off, and it was of the Jam variety, and we made it so big that were were playing bonnaroo and so was phish, i would feel liek a HUGE nerd / wanna be if i actually played his guitar .. hahaha thats more so what i meant.. ha