Favorite Trey-esce guitars - got an Artinger, thanks all

Started by Heady Jam Fan, January 24, 2012, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Got an Artinger, my initial thoughts below.

Wondering what everyones is, as I am considering getting an Equator. Abyss also looks pretty sweet, people seem to use a lot of PRS Hollowbodies, but those are 25" fret-scale! I also looked at Schecter, never was a huge fan (the company seems kinda like a punk-metal sell out), but I'm open to opinions. Oh yea - forgot AO guitars!

What do you all like for a hollowbody, 25.5" fret scale with a smaller body size than, say, Ibanez or Gibson hollows?

I've always been a big fan of Bill Wilkat guitars(headless - I find to be very ergononmic). http://members.shaw.ca/wilkatguitars/Alex_M.html, plus I have a neck and bridge he could use - I think I have some Golden 50's stashed at my parents house from many years back (I like my Joe Barden Pups, but they aren't exactly PAF).

I generally buy used if I can, though not opposed to giving money to a great Luthier, just kinda broke ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Brian27

I have a Raven West Semi-Hollow with a JB and a 59 and i love it. I have found that i dont like coil tapping or a Phase Switch that much at all so its a perfect guitar.

Heady Jam Fan

Cool - I will check that out!

I always just assumed Equator was the go to, but I am trying to run a few other ideas through my mind. I actually never owned a guitar that does the phase switching/parallel series thing, but the Joe Barden single/bucker switching is excellent IMO.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

my Artinger

I have had several Equators, they are pretty cool with a good setup and electronics.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Wow - nice!

Definitely a different body shape (which is not my biggest concern) - is it as ergonomic, the typical Languedoc cut seems pretty comfy.

Also, it is a 25" fret-scale - I used to think that would be an ideal balance, but when I was into building guitars, every other luthier I came across said it was a tonal/harmonic no-no (they had a technical explanation that I wont try to parrot). I noticed the PRS were 25" as well, which surprised me. I expect it wouldn't quite have the snappiness of a 25.5," more on the buttery side of a 24.75"

Two questions if you dont mind - what did you like more about that than the Equator? And what kinda price range do they run (couldn't find it on their site)?

picture_of_nectar

Price on this one was the same as a Languedoc G2, but this is a unique Artinger. Most of his run in the 5-7k range.

The scale length is 24.74, 22 frets. I prefer the Languedoc/Fender scale and 24 frets but oh well, this one was built on-spec by Matt Artinger to his prefrence.

This is in a whole different class then the Equators. The difference is primarily in how the wood is shaped and carved in the fashion of a true archtop. Artinger is a master class builder.

For the price the Equators do a good job, but come with a sub-par setup, poor case, and no electronics, so figure that stuff into the equation.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Yea - I hear you. I am a true believer that most things you buy, the quality matches the price - though something cost more for frills, which I actually really dislike (ie, veneer on a guitar, fancy lights at a bar).

I prefer the feel of a 24.75," especially as my hand seems to be falling apart - I think I am getting ligament or cartilage damage at the pip joint, probably from playing for 5 hours a day for nearly a decade as a kid with bad form, lol - my index went bad about 6-7 years ago, now my middle is starting to feel the same. Either here nor their, I prefer the sound of a 25.5".

I am really surprised about the setup on an Equator! That is the first thing a luthier should learn to do. The custom build I got was outstanding (Paul Morley of Fretsong). Hmm, I can't help but wonder how he slides by if that is the case - maybe he just doesn't set it up as it still needs to be wired.?.

I was looking at a used Equator Standard at about $1000 off the new cost, so hopefully it is setup well if I buy it, plus it has pups and everything.

phishlips

I also have a Raven West, a semi-hollow and full hollow body.  They are ok guitars for the price.  If you'd like I wouldn't mind parting with one of them, I just haven't been playing them much lately.  Let me know if your interested.
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

Heady Jam Fan

I would be interested in learning more - I appreciate you not over selling it ('its and okay guitar'). Do you have pics? How about a price in mind? I looked at their website and they didn't have any hollows for sale, it looked like the site hadn't changed since the 90's, so I have to navigate elsewhere, lol.

Heady Jam Fan

I bought a used Artinger that just arrived today - I haven't had enough time on it to make a complete decision cuz I got home late and my roommate had a headache (she is always 'sick'), then her cat pissed on my laundry...

So I only got to play it unplugged and I am still blown away. It seemed to have been settling in a bit after the temperate change in shipping and probably just being moved around, but after about 40 minutes or so the action/tuning evened out.

The action is like butter - I might even raise it a bit, definitely if I hear any buzz when it is plugged in, but we will see. It is easier to play than probably any 24.75" guitar I have played, but, not surprising, has tone in between 25.5" and 24.75" - a balance of butteriness and snap.

With a hollowbody with a shorter scale than my usually preferred 25.5" I was worried it wouldn't have that snappy articulation, but it really did - it was very present and resonant, definitely not too bassy or muddy. And i was playing with a Dunlop Primetone Jazz pick which can really darken up the sound, almost like playing with your thumb. I would call the tone sweet.

My concerns were that it might be too big and clunky and that there would be neck sag. It feels very comfortable and the few pounds lighter than a Les Paul makes a huge difference, my shoulder didn't fatigue in the amount of time I got to put in on it. The neck sagged a little, not horribly though. The previous owner moved the upper strap button to the back of the guitar, which might help a bit. All-in-all, it was surprisingly ergonomic and I often play (I know, kinda cheesy now-a-days) a custom built headless guitar, so I would consider myself discerning in that respect. It felt a lot smaller than I expected and I mean that in a great way.

The guitar also seems to have great sustain and a nice amount of volume when unplugged - probably perfect for when your housemates are asleep and you cant bring out the acoustic.

Poster

Lol all hollowbody guitars with humbuckers have great sustain. Go get a washburn chinese crapper, and stick duncs in it, wow dude so close to the trey tone.

Heady Jam Fan

I don't know about that... hasn't been my experience at least. I have found well built hollowbodies have decent sustain, but solidbodies are usually better on average. And the tone of the guitar - I never played a Washburn, but I would be hard pressed to believe it compares to the Artinger (or Languedoc). Then playability, I definitely haven't played many guitars that compare to the feel of the Artinger. Sure, maybe the Washburn gets closer than a Strat...

I mean, I would suspect you play something nicer than a Washburn? If it isn't for a utility reason, would it just be for the name on the headstock?

Poster

dude what iam saying, is ANY smaller hollowbody with hot pickups will make most of those sounds. just about ANY guitar can be setup properly. when you hear trey playing you are hearing his guitar but equally, the amps, effects, and about a million dollars in front of house preamps and compression. someone playing 5 hours a day until their fingers break would have at least explored production line guitars of all types in particular budget hollowbody guitars. Your artinger is nothing like a languedoc, do visit paul in vermont, hell tell you the same thing. Its more to do with how the guitars are built, with what tools, etc. You have a tribute guitar cool, but it isnt anything like the real thing.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I would definitely agree with that. I was just looking for some good options, build quality and tone, to get me that sound (and I know it is a hollowbody, as mentioned in the OP). Anyway, I got an Artinger and it is pretty awesome - along with the rest of my rig, I get a lot of tones I am happy with.

Walker done done

Here comes the holier than thou parade. Again? Really? =\
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.