Languedoc Kits

Started by fulltone1989, July 12, 2012, 06:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

http://www.languedoc-guitar.com/

Guitar Kit builds by a USA luthier. Although far from the real shebang, could be a decent backup.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Oh my God his last name is Olson!!! AO is going to shit himself.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Haha didn't even think about that!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Heady Jam Fan

Looks a bit sketch... not just the 1990's style website, I know not every builder can afford a nice site, but also some of the verbiage, using wood usually for bodies as the top, not wiring series etc (makes me wonder if the dude can), and the parts much be shit at the price - even Schaller Golden 50's would be $120 themselves.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 12, 2012, 08:55:32 PM
Looks a bit sketch... not just the 1990's style website, I know not every builder can afford a nice site, but also some of the verbiage, using wood usually for bodies as the top, not wiring series etc (makes me wonder if the dude can), and the parts much be shit at the price - even Schaller Golden 50's would be $120 themselves.

Good points. It's $249 Shipped for a body/neck

Heady Jam Fan

you could spend that much for good tone wood alone
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 12, 2012, 11:17:40 PM
you could spend that much for good tone wood alone

True. I just dunno where to find other cheap hollow bodies like this one.

Heady Jam Fan

Sorry, I didn't know you were looking! Go for it!

Those were just my cynical first impressions. Having built a few guitars myself, I know the cost of good materials, though this guys probably gets a better price than me since he is probably buying in a small bulk. I just wouldn't choose the types of wood he did for the top of a hollowbody (I saw Ash first, now I see maple, which is probably better for a top, though I think Spruce projects the most). 

Considering the price, you will want to probably get your own hardware and electronics for it, plus a decent set of pickups, if you want series and parallel, you need a luthier to drill holes for those switches, then the luthier has to install all those components. This will cost more than the guitar itself by far. Just wanted to toss that info in there in case you hadn't considered it.

If it were me, I would probably get something like and Ibanez, Epiphone, Gibson, etc, hollowbody with decent or upgraded components, a model with 2 volume and 2 tone knobs so you can replace one of each with a series switch and a coil-drop switch if you choose to. Mostly because you can be more certain of the quality of the build and I would think you could be more certain of the resale value; you might be able to sell the custom one to a Phish fan lacking funds (god knows there are a lot), but I have to suspect that since it is coming from a new, unknown 'company' that resale might be difficult.

This is just what I was thinking, but those might be excellent guitars. Just never heard of it and I felt skeptical.

picture_of_nectar

fwiw Paul is seeking to patent his design due to cheap copies like this.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 13, 2012, 09:23:59 AM
Sorry, I didn't know you were looking! Go for it!

Those were just my cynical first impressions. Having built a few guitars myself, I know the cost of good materials, though this guys probably gets a better price than me since he is probably buying in a small bulk. I just wouldn't choose the types of wood he did for the top of a hollowbody (I saw Ash first, now I see maple, which is probably better for a top, though I think Spruce projects the most). 

Considering the price, you will want to probably get your own hardware and electronics for it, plus a decent set of pickups, if you want series and parallel, you need a luthier to drill holes for those switches, then the luthier has to install all those components. This will cost more than the guitar itself by far. Just wanted to toss that info in there in case you hadn't considered it.

If it were me, I would probably get something like and Ibanez, Epiphone, Gibson, etc, hollowbody with decent or upgraded components, a model with 2 volume and 2 tone knobs so you can replace one of each with a series switch and a coil-drop switch if you choose to. Mostly because you can be more certain of the quality of the build and I would think you could be more certain of the resale value; you might be able to sell the custom one to a Phish fan lacking funds (god knows there are a lot), but I have to suspect that since it is coming from a new, unknown 'company' that resale might be difficult.

This is just what I was thinking, but those might be excellent guitars. Just never heard of it and I felt skeptical.

Not so much looking, but as a curious observation I guess.

That's a great point about dropping a tone and volume knob in place of switches for changing coils. I have this setup in my ES339 now but i'd be interested in seeing if a mod like this was possible. The Classic 57's I have in there now might not sound that good as singles though. I wish that the backs had a plate where it'd be a lot easier to access the components instead of having to go through the F-holes and pickup holes. Your points about tone wood make a long of sense though.

PON- That's really interesting and honestly wouldn't be that far off from the lawsuits Gibson was going through.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 13, 2012, 12:14:19 PM

I was thinking this - not only is it a copy, but it is not in the least discrete - the dudes site says it is a Languedoc, not even having the humility, or whatever, to say 'inspired by' or a copy of. Not that anyone is going to buy this instead of a Languedoc.

Phabulous

I certainly wouldn't blame him if he had his lawyer send this guy a cease and desist letter.  No way is this guy allowed to use the name "Languedoc" or rip images off of Paul's website and use them to sell his product.

I don't think there's any possibility that Paul would have a patent granted, though.  He didn't in any way, shape or form invent the fully hollow electric archtop -- just improved on it to utter awesomeness.

He could very likely have his headstock trademarked, though.

Happyorange27

Yeah that dude is asking for trouble.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Phabulous on July 13, 2012, 01:45:34 PM

I certainly wouldn't blame him if he had his lawyer send this guy a cease and desist letter.  No way is this guy allowed to use the name "Languedoc" or rip images off of Paul's website and use them to sell his product.

I don't think there's any possibility that Paul would have a patent granted, though.  He didn't in any way, shape or form invent the fully hollow electric archtop -- just improved on it to utter awesomeness.

He could very likely have his headstock trademarked, though.

True, though if he is wiring it in a 'revolutionary' way, I wonder if he could patent the 'art' like pedal builders can patent their circuit design/pcb. Also, he does custom work on the pickups, that might be more patent-able I would think (I believe they did trademark their potting process when he was working at Time guitars, which probably was because they couldn't get a patent).

Happyorange27

I'm no lawyer but I think after one year of public knowledge you can't apply for that patent.  You need to apply within that first year.