David Myka Dragonfly Hollowbody build

Started by picture_of_nectar, March 27, 2013, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

I have this Thread going over on TGP but thought some of you guys might be interested. I have a crazy looking guitar being built by David Myka. A Dragonfly "Supreme" Hollowbody.

The build began in November 2012, and is about 1 month from completion. This has been a really fun project.

First I personally selected the Burl Walnut Top from this dealer, check out some of his pieces... http://www.woodnut.com/products/products.htm
This was neat, i bought the block off his ebay store under David's guidance and had it shipped directly to my house. I wanted to see it and hold it in person before it was to take shape. David said it's one of the most insane pieces of wood he's ever seen. This piece was harvested from a fallen walnut tree in California, and dried for 5 years.

This is the piece

David recommended a Black Limba body and neck he has been saving for 12 years, cut from the same block he built his first guitar from.

Here is the Top cut:

The Dragonfly is a full hollow body design built like an archtop with parallel bracing, similar to a Languedoc. The braces here are reinforced with graphite.

David gave me about 10 choices of fingerboards including some really crazy figured rosewood. in the end I chose a Curl ebony piece, I felt the black would compliment the dark colors of the top nicely, and i have always been a fan of ebony. The adornments such as the tailpiece, bridge and knobs will also be ebony.

Madagascar Rosewood binding

Abalone Dragonfly logo inlay

and more Walnut burl from the same piece for the headstock veneer.

Bound F-holes

Ready for lacquer pics!

Electronics will likely be Lollar imperial Humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 tone, 3 Way switch... Series/Parrallel mini switches, all similar to Languedoc wiring. It will also have the added options of a Push-Pull switch on the tone knob that puts the pickups out-of-phase, as well as an inboard Piezo acoustic pickup with it's own volume knob.

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

the_great_lemon

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

webephishin

Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Stecks

Gorgeous... can't wait to hear that thing.  Post a vid.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

sour d

Can you add an inlay of a pair of boots to go with that dragonfly?
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

cactuskeeb

Can I borrow your languedoc for a while after you get this new guitar?

mblem22

That is a thing of beauty.  Any updates on this build?

picture_of_nectar

Nitro has been applied, David is working on wiring it up now....

Happyorange27

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 06, 2013, 05:10:33 PM
Can I borrow your languedoc for a while after you get this new guitar?
Ha!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

The Wicked Burl Dragonfly is complete!

She sounds incredible! Had her wired the same as my Languedoc G4 with the addition of a Piezo acoustic pickup. Playing characteristics are very similar to the Doc, only I'd say the Feedback is a bit more easily controlled.

http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/143/default.htm

the_great_lemon

*proceeds to drool* That is b-e-a-utilful
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.