Shopping for a new fiddle...

Started by fulltone1989, June 04, 2013, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Did you own your PRS HB's before the custom builds? What didn't you like about it?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

picture_of_nectar

Yeah, they are good guitars, just never been able to hold on to one. The Archtop model is better. Also the newer 57/08 pickups are way better.

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on June 06, 2013, 12:06:57 AM
Yeah, they are good guitars, just never been able to hold on to one. The Archtop model is better. Also the newer 57/08 pickups are way better.

Thanks, the archtop model is a bit thicker - right? I like the idea of a thinner hollowbody, and since it's used locally it's a one shot deal so to say. This is a 2008 model, so wouldn't the 57/08's be installed already? Do you know if there's a way to see what's in there? I haven't had a chance to take the pickups out yet.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

picture_of_nectar

The Archtop is thicker, and a little more awkward to play, but the tones are more full and robust. I am not exactly sure when they started using those pickups. But the last one I had had 57/08 engraved in the corner of the pickup cover. that was a cool guitar, kinda bummed I sold it actually.

Here is a Languedoc on Ebay, buy in Now for $26 grand! lol!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Languedoc-Guitar-Phish-Guitar-/121122582072?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3377ee38
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on June 07, 2013, 02:56:15 PM
The Archtop is thicker, and a little more awkward to play, but the tones are more full and robust. I am not exactly sure when they started using those pickups. But the last one I had had 57/08 engraved in the corner of the pickup cover. that was a cool guitar, kinda bummed I sold it actually.

Here is a Languedoc on Ebay, buy in Now for $26 grand! lol!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Languedoc-Guitar-Phish-Guitar-/121122582072?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3377ee38

I called the dude, but since he was adamant about keeping the round wound strings on there I passed...

I kid I kid!

The HBII at the shop is a bit too pricey for my tastes but I'll try to talk him down when I have all the bones to go in there and see some finished ebay auctions w/ better prices. No 57/08's though. The PRS NF-3 looks very interesting though! Took the Ibenhad home for the weekend, and it is a really nice guitar but as I expected it's remarkably similar to my 339 sans pickups and neck wood among other things - very comfy neck despite the bad rap Ibanez gets for their necks. There's a Becker LP-1 Prototype (makes fiddles for Moe./tDB) with 3 toggles for each pickup and a kill switch that I may give a go sooner rather than later but who knows as I think the construction materials and techniques may be questionable, and Becker has yet to return any of my emails about the guitar.

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Good looks! I'll keep my eye on it and see what the bids look like tomorrow night. TGP has some decent options as well. I may just order a custom G&L from work.