Chicken head knobs in guitar

Started by Happyorange27, August 03, 2013, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Ok so I had an idea about attempting to use chicken head style knobs on my guitar. I'll explain why in a second.

First of all, the previous owner of my beautiful guitar permanently glued the volume knob to the volume pot; also leaving some glue on the adjacent wood. Winning!  Anyway the tone knob finally stated to strip recently so it was time to replace knobs in general. I gently used a Dremmel to cut into the volume knob and removed it from the shaft with no harm to the guitar or pot.

So then I added theses georgeous orange knobs I bought for two dollars. I tightened them at a very accurate angle so that I can reference the angle position. I wasn't sure if this would make life better or worse. Honestly using a traditional knob leaves you clueless until you max out one way or another. Yeah you have a bit if insight depending on volume or dirt level, but how do you truly know that you are at 75% or at 98%?  I know I usually don't.

So I gave her a test drive. Bottom line...LOVE IT!  You would be surprised on how well the feel of the knobs lets you know EXACTLY where you are at all times. And you can actually turn it quickly the precise positions. Dudes you must try this.  For two dollars, it's quite a return on investment.

Buy the way the volume is shown at zero and the tone is maxed for your reference.

Peace love and sweet cannabis! ✌😎🎸🍺🚬
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

It doesn't suprise me that the previous owner would do something that dumb. The new knobs sound like a good idea but two issues come to mind. 1. I don't want to sound rude but it looks yucky. 2. I think it would be awkward for volume swells.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Happyorange27

Yep it is yucky I'm sure I will go to a more pleasing look for the future but this was mostly for experimental purposes.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Lol, I agree - not surprised, but great idea!

If you become famous, I can see people copying that and claiming its essential to matching your tone ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 03, 2013, 02:46:53 PM

If you become famous, I can see people copying that and claiming its essential to matching your tone ;)
Yes it does make your tone sound like a tube in the verge of catching fire Heady. Forgot to mention that. 😎

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 03, 2013, 03:27:09 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 03, 2013, 02:46:53 PM

Yes it does make your tone sound like a tube in the verge of catching fire Heady. Forgot to mention that. 😎

Have you considered going with red rather than orange for slightly more gain?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Happyorange27

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

HNKD! I just had one of those too, Allparts jyped me out of a screw!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on August 03, 2013, 02:34:01 PM
It doesn't suprise me that the previous owner would do something that dumb. The new knobs sound like a good idea but two issues come to mind. 1. I don't want to sound rude but it looks yucky. 2. I think it would be awkward for volume swells.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  My sentiments exactly!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27

Yep. Still rocking the black ones.  Really like it a bunch.  I couldn't do volume swells with regular knobs because the volume knob is so far away.  That's my one gripe about the guitar.  A half inch would make a huge difference.