New Artinger Sounds

Started by tsbot, January 17, 2014, 11:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

Here are a few measures each of ......   KDF, Character Zero, Fluffhead, Free, Yamar, Sleeping Monkey.

Just a quickie, trying to learn my Sennheiser e609 and Scarlet 2i2 into Garageband too.  I don't really share or play in front of folks, so thoughts are appreciated to make me better!

https://soundcloud.com/adam-derose/phish-medley-2

No Nice Guy

Quote from: tsbot on January 17, 2014, 11:10:36 PM
Here are a few measures each of ......   KDF, Character Zero, Fluffhead, Free, Yamar, Sleeping Monkey.

Just a quickie, trying to learn my Sennheiser e609 and Scarlet 2i2 into Garageband too.  I don't really share or play in front of folks, so thoughts are appreciated to make me better!

https://soundcloud.com/adam-derose/phish-medley-2

I like the sound.  It sounds kinda thin to me (I have an awful ear/shitty speakers, so sorry if I sound like a fool here), like it needs a slight EQ adjustment to it.  Maybe you just have your tone knob lower than I like to have mine (ALL THE WAY UP BABY!), and that threw me off a second or two, but it sounds a bit lifeless I guess.  I think you need a bit more high end in the mix.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

tsbot

Thanks for the input!  I've tried several methods for recording and mic placement - can't get a true to me sounding tone recorded.  It either sounds baffled (under watery) or thin.  When I crank my amp and overdrive it sounds sweet but I can't transfer that to recording.

Any suggestions?

the_great_lemon

Sounds pretty good as it is, but maybe try moving the mic from the speaker in the range of 6"-9".  I usually do that when I record my guitars and the sounds are quite good in a full band mix.  In my experience getting a guitar to sound exactly how it does in the room is impossible, of course ymmv.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

tsbot

Quote from: the_great_lemon on January 19, 2014, 04:03:41 PM
Sounds pretty good as it is, but maybe try moving the mic from the speaker in the range of 6"-9".  I usually do that when I record my guitars and the sounds are quite good in a full band mix.  In my experience getting a guitar to sound exactly how it does in the room is impossible, of course ymmv.

Cool thanks - I'll will try that - most I tried was about 2" off the grillcloth!  I think it may be impossible too, but I think I can get better!  Gotta do the Artinger justice lol!

Heady Jam Fan

There are good qualities to the tone, but as mentioned, capturing your sound in a recording is harder than coping Trey's tone, so I chose not to comment. Close micing is a very difficult art that might be worth learning for recording a live band or micing on a loud stage, but distant micing will likely sound decent fairly easily at home. I assume we are hearing 75%micing / recording in any audio sample.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

tsbot

Yea I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to recording - I just plug the mic into the scarlet into the Mac and hit record (after selecting the mic as the input and adding a new track for real instrument).
Not sure what else to do - gotta watch some YouTube vids!

Hoody

You were micing your amp?  What was the amp you were using?  Any pedals (it didn't sound like it).  I generally find that most hollowbodies really do actually need a compressor.  They make things a lot smoother. 

Sounded really nice though, you played the measures well.  its not always easy to get a good recording.

tsbot

Hey Hoody - yea just quick measures of each song, not really in time but a quick synopsis.  Yes I mic'd a Vintage Sound Amp Vintage 22 - sweet amp!  Artinger hollow into my pedalboard (whammy II, wah, vibe, ts9 modded, bogner blue, keeley comp, boss delay, boomerang III) they are all on a true bypass switcher and I only used the ts9 for the drive and volume control. 

I don't know how to get a better recording - I never really take te time to do it - so that's next on the docket!

Hoody

Cool, so you like the amp?  And the Artinger?  And the Artinger is built in like a Languedoc style?  With nothing in the center connecting top and bottom?

No compressor on in the recording?  I actually thought the timing, and sound, were pretty good. 

tsbot

Well thanks hoody!  I never and I mean never really play for anyone else to hear - I've done one backyard gig and a few open mics - mainly originals though too...
Yes I totally love the amp - went from a Twin Reveb Reissue (had about 2 years) to a mesa Mark III red stripe head which I did like but too many controls haha and bought this Vintage 22 and deluxe reverb reissue to A/B and hated the drri compared to it!  But they are worlds apart for build quality and speakers etc too! I've had the Vintage 22 for a few months and still digging it - prob one of my keepers forever!  I loop my boomerang through the twin still so I can lay down some rythem and play over it on the vintage 22... Pretty happy w that because I used to loop and play through 1 amp only and it was too muddy and such for just one amp.

As far as the Artinger - yes very Languedoc'esq (Matt Artinger is a hugh phish fan too) so he knew what I was going after as far as sound!  It does have a soundpost under the bridge and I wasn't sure I'd like that even though it is a very thin lightweight spruce per Matt - but now I'm not sure if I'd like it like the G2 - very hard to control for a mere novice I'd think - the artinger still gets nice overtones and feedback but for me it's manageable! I think Paul's  g4 is built with a block too - not 100% sure though.  To be honest at first I was leary about it not being identical, but now with more playing and for my ability - Matt nailed it for me!  I'd still love to try a true g2 - and soon I'll be able to a/b mine w a g4, and I've asked about dimensions for the g2 on the gear page and they are nearly identical to the artinger - and when working on specs with Matt he had built himself a 'doc clone and knows it's dimensions and seemed pretty spot on w mine - with his signature carving and headstock!  So pickups and the block are the only differences as far as I know!

Oh and no comp for the recording.

Happyorange27

Sounds pretty good.  I think your microphone signal probably got clipped digitally a couple times when playing with the overdrive samples.  I heard the digital clipping.  Just move the mic further away, adjust the input level of the mic or turn the amp down a hair.  Otherwise you are golden.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

About a year ago I went through a phase when I had my amp mic'ed every time I played my guitar - loud or quiet.

I ran my mic's through my recording equipment and listened via studio monitor headphones. My goal was to get the same (or better) sound through my headphones compared to standing in the sweet spot of the room. I did this both with the mic very close to the grill cloth and with some distance between the mic and amp.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

tsbot

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 20, 2014, 01:39:44 PM
Sounds pretty good.  I think your microphone signal probably got clipped digitally a couple times when playing with the overdrive samples.  I heard the digital clipping.  Just move the mic further away, adjust the input level of the mic or turn the amp down a hair.  Otherwise you are golden.

Thanks for the feedback!