Main Menu

treys amp setup

Started by Stiles12, June 19, 2009, 02:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

Sorry this is from my phone on the way to indiana so if there is spelling mistakes my bad haha...

But supposidly trey is (at least at fox and burgettstown) trey has been using an SMS classic  preamp with the jerry garcia mod. He is running it to the mesa at half power (which is as of now just a power amp) to protect the bruno cab speakers..
Don't know if you guys have gone through this yet or not (I haven't been home all month) but just thought I would let you know

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Stiles12

He used the Garcia modded one with my "special" ceramic treble cap and a combination of the Dale metal film (Healy style) and NOS Allen Bradley carbon comp (Wickersham style) plate resistors. The Garcia model really is not that different at all from the non-Garcia model except for the treble cap. For steel players I like to use the smoother polystyrene or mica treble cap. The ceramic sounds better on guitar. He ran that Boogie at half power to protect the speakers in that Bruno cab. So 50 or 60 watts total...

This is from the guy at sms, the SMS is wired in through the boogies fx loop, I guess
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Poster

i want one now. :0) i bet if he went out and picked up 6 pink colored peavey digital practice amps it would sound gnarly and i would likely buy 6 pink peaveys to see why the jedi would use them. 

Stiles12

yeah its pretty cool... just a 1 rack space pre... not that expensive either

Heres the link, for some reason its hard to search and find

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/smsclassic.html

this is another from the guy brad sarno from sms
Originally Posted by bradsarno 
Trey used the SMS Classic Tube preamp at the St. Louis FOX show. It fed his backup Boogie head used strictly as a power amp (fx return jack) into his Bruno cab. This was in place of using the Fender Deluxe Reverb. He was able to toggle between his vintage Trey rig and this setup. We wound up using the SMS Classic preamp the whole night.

Brad
SPL Transducer

Stiles12

SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

Thank you -- this is good info.  That preamp is voiced like a late-seventies marshall: you can see the .47 cap in a photo on their website; it is typical to see this cap or a .68 as a mod in Fender-type preamp circuits.  What happens is that the tech removes the first cathode bypass 25uf/25-50v cap and replaces it with either the .47 or the .68, effectively mimicing the preamp layout of a marshall. 

Also, I am in complete agreement with their (Sarno Music's) ceramic disc theory.  They are, to put it bluntly, exactly right about all of that which they mention concerning the ceramic disc.

strangedesign

i wish i was a electronics ninja like you guys. i don't understand half of what you guys say but i sure do appreciate the info. i'm gonna learn how to play guitar one day and my rig is gonna sound allsum
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

dude I'm talking out of my ass anyway so you shouldn't feel like you know less than me about electronics...

In other words, nothing I said has any grounding in the science of electricity, whatsoever.

Poster

i think cactus should come out and rendezvous for some panic shows. id love to hear your thoughts on jimmy's rig after toking on some romulon.

cactuskeeb

You would get tired of me after five minutes.  Then you'll spend the whole show seeking to depart clandestinely from my presence.