Name this effect on IT DVD

Started by Dondante, February 15, 2010, 01:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dondante

On waves at around 4:42 u can hear it well when he hits a few chords.... I this a phaser?

Thanks
Dondante

Poster

itsonlythenoodlez

What is the leslie? rotary speaker effect?

picture_of_nectar

It's an organ rotary speaker cabinet. not a pedal effect.

I am assuming you are talking 4:42 in this video? Which is part II, the Jam of the IT Waves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0vbbbcYsxk&feature=related

I think there is more then just the Leslie here, some delay weirdness mixed with some vibe/verb or something. Trey does all kinds of weird shit in that jam.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

patrickstefanski

I am in the photo gallery of this DVD.
We got front row both days.
So we are in the running montage.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

cactuskeeb

He's standing (Trey is, not ^ this guy) in the right-hemisphere of effects, with the whammy, boomerang, and the crybaby-shelled, speed control for the Tremolo.  I can't listen to this, right now, but I can watch it.  Quick, someone describe the sound to me using a bunch of random syllable "words" like neeerrrroowww and wooosh.

patrickstefanski

that is the sound exactly   "neeerrrroowww and wooosh"
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Stiles12

Tremolo

I think you might confusing a lot of what he is doing with page... if you are talking about the youtube video

he might have the leslie lightly in the background as well as some vibe but definitely tremolo is most of the sound
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

raisingfreen

I agree, I think he uses that variable speed/rate on the Tremolo along with other things such as the delay feedback loops. Must be nice to have complete control of all the modulation effects/delays, blend/mix/rate etc... all available with foot controls. The standard market produced stuff just doesn't give the same control options. Every effect pedal should have at least a mix/blend knob IMO. Even a simple chorus or phaser would be way more useful if you could dial out 50-75% of the effect and just have a slight wetness blended in just a tiny bit.

I believe the old Line 6 MM4 could do this effect with the foot controller. I hate the look of this pedal but because it had a mix knob it did sound pretty good. I remember being able to control the rate/speed with foot controller which was useful when trying to get a good sound in a mix. Downside is only one of 4 presets at a time but you could blend between 2 if you wanted. I have been wondering if a properly programmed Line 6 M9 could get many of these Modulation sounds with good floor controls. Seems cheap enough to try and then of course sell when the Black Cats become available.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Brian27

It sounds like a combination of his jedi pedal and a slow tremolo speed. For those that know the Jedi is of course the famous Digitech Whammy

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Stiles12 on March 23, 2010, 11:17:37 PM
Tremolo

I think you might confusing a lot of what he is doing with page... if you are talking about the youtube video

he might have the leslie lightly in the background as well as some vibe but definitely tremolo is most of the sound

This is right.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: raisingfreen on March 24, 2010, 10:20:49 AM
Even a simple chorus or phaser would be way more useful if you could dial out 50-75% of the effect and just have a slight wetness blended in just a tiny bit.

Wow, this must have been the same thoughtfulness behind every combination (blend) of a guitar amp and a leslie speaker, using separate microphones for each of them.  I think it also fits for why Jimmy Page started using more than one microphone on an amp at the same time, placed at different points of distance from the speaker.  Also, Tom Sholtz of Boston would have multiple tracks of non-chorused and chorus-effected guitar sounds playing the same notes--it just sounds better that way.

EDIT: In other words, a sound technician who plays music well...hmm...if you can't produce your music properly, you might as well not be heard.  It's a shame that people that should not be heard, like Miley Cyrus, can still be produced.  Moral: well produced shit works, not well produced not-shit, doesn't.  And don't grip to me about how you don't care about not being paid as long as you can make music.  You'd be happier getting paid and making your music, clearly.  This is assuming you crave success for yourself--everyone should, even slackers--and/or for the people you love.

And if you can't or don't 'make it' as a success, teach people to do it, like I (try) to do.

raisingfreen

Cactus, are you referring to actual studio recordings with that last post? I think my text you referenced was just a wish for a pedal with mix/blend knob. Thats it.

That was like a Dennis Miller Rant (which i like) but appears to be aimed at something else besides the tremolo question.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

actually raising (pardon my absence, ive been busy rockin' it)

but all effects can be modified to have a mix blend knob for wet/dry output

in fact, there are other means of blending in dry signal...

email my good friend robert about one of his 'blender' loopers, tell him Massey sent cha...

google badger effects!

*bows, and exits

Brian27

Usually you find mix knobs on multieffects pedals like the before mentioned MM4. My fav effect pedal the Boss RT-20 has a killer mix knob for that subtle leslie sound. I own a couple of M13's and all effects have mix knobs on there that are modulation. All mod pedals should have mix knobs in my opinion.