Favorite Reverb Tank

Started by Happyorange27, October 24, 2011, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Do you guys have a favorite reverb tank?  Make, models, # of springs, etc??
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

I've actually always kinda liked the reverb in both the Fenders I've owned (A 4x10 late 90's Hot Rod Deville, and now my Blues Jr. Humboldt Hot Rod).  But I only like it at a minimum setting, and unfortunately the control of their reverb is always terrible.  Somewhere between 2 and 3 (1-12 range) is where the signal increases too much and I just think it sounds terrible anywhere higher than 2.31485060666666.  Seriously! If it goes a hair too far, it just sucks.  But that's just like my opinion man...

And another thing too, I actually really do like the the original Alesis Microverb.  I know it's digital and all, and probably not what your looking for, but it creates a lot of different useful reverb sounds.  My first experience using one was in my jazz guitar teacher's studio.  He has his students plug into the Microverb I into a new Fender Champion 600 that is just stock.  He also has both plugged into a really good power conditioner that takes care of the hum.  I was so thrilled with the tone I ended up buying the exact same setup for my home practice amp, minus the power conditioner of course.  I actually got a Microverb on Ebay that had an on/off switch installed, but w/o working stereo plugs (mono works fine) for only $10.  Works perfect for my use for it.  I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd Microverb on Ebay, although more expensive, for the rig that I gig with. 

I need to get motivated and plug my entire rig into the Blues Jr. and decide which reverb I prefer.  And no, I don't use the Microverb on the same settings as Trey.  I did try it though, just didn't like it for what I'm going for. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

raisingfreen

If I need a replacement I tend to get another accutronics as they seem to work well. ( I like the long tanks with 6 springs). The thing to keep in mind though is that you cant just buy any old tank as a replacement. You have to get the correct ohm tank. If you don't follow the schematic for the amp it may not work correctly. Each character in the reverb tank part numbers mean something. You would never think such a simple thing can get complicated but it can. Below is a general guideline of how the numbers work.

http://roymal.tripod.com/accutron.htm

If you need a new tank write down the numbers first before locating the correct replacement. You can still choose a different amount of springs or possibly a shorter tank but the input and output impedance have to be correct. Not sure if there is even a way to test this on the tiny transformers on tanks.

So anywhoo +1 for the old Microverbs. Cheaper than a new reverb tank with more options! Just mount a Microverb where the reverb tank was and your set. You just don't get that crash sound when you move the amp around.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

Thanks dudes

Wilson get the reverb pot from Billm which changes the logarithmic sweep so you can dial in much easier. It gives you more sweep in the 2-3 range. :)

Audio-taper master volume or reverb control: $10
http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=65
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex