ISO: Speaker for HRD

Started by webephishin, August 27, 2013, 09:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webephishin

After playing my amp with 3 out of 4 working speakers, i've decided I need to finally replace my blown speaker.  I took it into the shop today and they tested it out with a 9v battery...do you guys know what i'm talking about? Basically you touch the battery terminals to the speaker terminals(?) and the speaker will pop in or out depending on which side (positive or negative) of the battery u touch it with.  Anways, the speaker didn't move when we touched it with the battery....so now I'm looking for a 10" speaker, 8 ohm 30watt to put into my HRD 410.  Anyone trying to get rid of one?  Any suggestions of other speakers?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

fluffhead4020

I just bought 2 Weber speakers for my 410 deville. Havnt played them yet cause they are still in transit, but am really excited about them. I actually posted a week Or two ago about finding speakers for my HRD and got feedback on Tone Tubby's 10" reds. They are kinda pricy though.

The reason I bought two more speakers is because 2 of my Jensen Neo's blew(for whatever reason-I only had them for 5-7 months) and I wanted to try a new sound instead of replacing the Neo's. But I loved them. Only thing is Jensen doesn't make them anymore, so you would have to look else where to find them(possibly used) if you wanted Neo's.

I hope I can help. I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago, and can give you a list of about 10 speakers that I considered before getting my Webers. Only problem is that I havnt tried half of them, just went on lots of research, recommendations, and sound clips.

-What kind of sound are you looking for?

webephishin

well i'm only gonna replace 1 speaker...i'd kinda rather have all 4 of them be the same speaker instead of putting a differnet one in with a set of 3....but who knows, maybe the 1 odd ball speaker would work well! 
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

fluffhead4020

So your other speakers are the stock eminence speakers? If not, try to pinpoint where you wanna go with your tone. Like if you want more low ends, I can suggest a couple nice ones. If you feel like you like some high ends, I know some. Or if you want some moderate sounding one to just add color and fill in the gaps, there's some Jensen and Celestion speakers for that.

Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helps.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on August 31, 2013, 02:51:44 AM
So your other speakers are the stock eminence speakers? If not, try to pinpoint where you wanna go with your tone. Like if you want more low ends, I can suggest a couple nice ones. If you feel like you like some high ends, I know some. Or if you want some moderate sounding one to just add color and fill in the gaps, there's some Jensen and Celestion speakers for that.

Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helps.

THIS! This is why I haven't replied to be honest. With three other speakers, the new one will get drowned out very likely unless its much more efficient. IMO, get a speaker you really like/want because you can always keep it if you sell the cab, then replace the hole with a cheap speaker. YMMV.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fluffhead4020

I'm a little confused with what your trying to do. Are you planning on selling your amp soon? If so, then yea just buy a used eminence (same ones that are stock that you have) and fill in the 4th speaker to sell it.

If your trying to keep the amp, then maybe invest(if you can) in 2 speakers that are efficient-maybe with sensitivity around 98-100. That'll sound great. I actually still have 2 of the stock eminence's in my cab just because I've enjoyed my tone with only two Jensens/now Webers.

But you're right about it getting "drowned" out with just one after-market speaker. Id say your options would be:
1) Investing in two after-markets(I'd say weber,tone tubby, or celestion)
2) just replacing the one speaker with a stock eminence 10(used)
3) replacing the one speaker with a moderate sounding speaker like a Jensen MOD or NEO--or course this would cost more than option "2," but you would notice a little difference depending on how efficient the speaker is. Of course you could go more efficient than the 2 speakers with a pricy Weber or something if you wanted to notice more of a difference.

Again, I hope this helps. If any of my information is confusing or misleading, hopefully someone with correct me. Good luck!

webephishin

Hey guys, sorry for the late response, I just got back from the Dick's shows.  I don't plan on selling the amp, but I was leaning towards just replacing the speaker with a stock eminence....I liked the way the amp sounded with the 4 stocks in there when I bought it so I figure why change? 

webephishin

if I  continue to play my amp without replacibg the speaker, do I risk damaging the transformer or anything in the amp?

Heady Jam Fan

Its not ideal, but you *should* be ok. I can't think of a way that you would be more than double or less than half the impedance the transformer expects to be seeing. Double or half is the range thats consider *safe*. However, (1) don't take my word then blame me if something goes wrong, (2) I don't know for certain how your 212 is wired:

I suspect its two sets of speakers, the two speakers in a set wired in series, the two sets wired together in parallel. If so, only two of your three working speakers ought to be functioning. If this is the case, then (1) your double the impedance your transformer expects and the tone is darker/quieter, (2) your 410 cab ought to be the same impedance as a single speaker (ie, if one speaker is 8ohms, the 410 would be 8ohms, but two speakers in series - which is how I suspect your amp is running now - is 16ohms). What this means is that if you only use one speaker with your amp, then you would be matching the impedance (but only do this if the power handling - the wattage rating - of the speaker is greater than that of the amp, which is unlikely in a 410).

Hope this helps - if you can provide any info to confirm or reject my above assumptions (ie numbers from the equipment), I or someone else could probably give a more certain answer.

PS
If all three speakers are working, I guess the cab would be wired with the 4 speakers all parallel. Then I suspect they are 16ohm speakers and the transformer expects to see a 4ohm load. If this is the case, then the cab would be 5.333(etc)ohm.
PSS
Damn, I coulda just looked up how the cabs wired and what speakers are in it in the time I typed this.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

webephishin

3 out of the 4 speakers are for sure working.  They are 8 ohm 30 watt speakers. I think all speakers were wired in parallel...I could be wrong with that though...not sure if that helps my case or not

Heady Jam Fan

Ok, I'm stumped then.

If its 4x 8ohm speakers in parallel, you have a 2ohm cabinet. Thus you'd expect your amp's transformer wants to see a 2ohm load.

When I looked up the HRD 410, Fender's site (and other sites) seem to say the amp and cab should be 8ohms, which would indicate the type of wiring I expected (if using 8ohm speakers, two sets of speakers in series wired together in parallel). As far as I know, in this wiring schema, only two speakers should be working.

In other words, sorry - I have no idea. I still doubt your making your transformer or tubes work too hard, but I don't know whats going on with the cabinet.

Walker done done

Put a Tone Tubby in that HRD and you're good to go.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.