slow birth of my rig *Updated*

Started by cactuskeeb, January 21, 2008, 02:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

:arrow: I should say re-birth of the rig, since returning from having not touched the guitar in several years (reason for that: see the background behind rig).

cactuskeeb

Wouldn't you like to know!? :twisted:  :D

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

The tubes in that amp are all junk I had lying around here and there.  It will have to remain this way until my DR returns, because all my NOS tubes went with that amp.  That being said, however, I would argue that the quality of a tube doesn't have the kind of impact on the mark_iii that it has on the Fender.  The details of this arguement will appear as part of a comprehensive post on the history of trey's amps that I promise to post at some point in the next couple weeks.  

Truth be told, I haven't been able to figure out precisely what kind of celestion speakers are in the 2x12.  I know that sounds absurd - but given the abundance and variety of G12 in existence, I might just contact celestion to get their details and product description for this model, which I can't seem to find discussed or pictured on the internet.  In terms of sound they are different from all the other celestions: they're *dark* sounding, but not like a traditionally described dark - as in with speakers that work for metal - but rather like a progressive rock dark..  

Finally, expect more pictures to be added to this post as not everything is pictured here, just what has more or less passed a series of through tests that I'm doing to force myself to concentrate on dialing in all the possibilities one element or device at a time.  I apologize for a lot of the vague description(s) at this point, but like I said I'm tip-toeing into everything...

yours,
cactuskeeb :idea:

cactuskeeb

Celestion.com:
\"The G12M Greenback emerged in the early to mid-sixties. It was Celestion's first ceramic magnet speaker and had greater power handling (20 Watts as opposed to 15 Watts) that the Celestion Blue (used by Vox) which had an Alnico magnet. It was also cheaper to produce and cheaper to the consumer. Soon after Celestion produced the G12H (which were given green or black cases, depending on availablility of plastic!) This model had a heavier magnet than the G12M and so was capable of handling more power. This time 30 Watts. The increased magnetic flux (the level of magnetism within a magnet) also altered the tonal quality of the driver.

There were two G12Hs produced with different resonance frequencies, 75 Hz (or cycles per second) for lead guitar and 55 Hz for bass.
Some more adventurous lead players experimented with the low resonance version and found it produced a very desirable tone, with a "darker", more "rounded" quality.

The G12M and G12H were speakers that helped forge the sound of the electric guitar during the classic 1960s British Invasion.

The third addition to the range was the G12-65. Identified as the voice of 80s rock and blues, this speaker is often thought of as one of the greatest 4 x 12 speakers ever produced, bringing together vintage tone with modern, high power-handling capability.\"

[. . .]
PRESS RELEASE:

HERITAGE SERIES G12-65

20 January 2006

The newly re-released G12-65 is the latest addition to the critically acclaimed Heritage Series that also features classic recreations of Celestion's G12M and low-resonance G12H speakers — speakers which helped forge the sound of the electric guitar during the classic 1960s British Invasion.

Known as one of the best 4 x 12\" speakers ever produced and identified as the voice of 1980s rock and blues, the G12-65 is hand-built in England adhering precisely to the initial design notes, specifications, materials and construction techniques of the original speaker. Celestion has paid strict attention to detail right down to the voice coil former material, glue formulations and edge-treatment. In addition, close consideration to matching the coil and magnetic flux specifications of the original model has been employed, while particulars, including solder-only tag panels and an authentic period real label, complete the package.

A forerunner to Celestion's G12T-75, the G12-65 was created as a higher-powered version of the legendary G12M Greenback and designed specifically for use with advanced amplifier technology. Its tone is described somewhere between a Greenback and a Classic Lead 80 — plenty of definition for high gain, yet not too bright or aggressive.

The Heritage Series G12-65 is a 12\" speaker with a pressed-steel chassis that features a 65-Watt power rating, 1.75\" round copper voice coil, 8 or 15 Ohm nominal impedance, 97 dB sensitivity and frequency response of 80-5000 Hz. In every tonal aspect, the G12-65 remains a painstakingly exact replica of the original allowing guitarists to accurately recreate the cherished rock and blues tones of the classic 1980s era.

cactuskeeb