Help me find a guitar

Started by Stiles12, March 24, 2008, 06:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

Alright heres the deal, I am contemplating getting a new guitar, something hollow would be nice but something small. I need something that will be able to rip, clean down, and get funky.

Right now i have been playing for the most part an American Strat with 3 golden Lace sensors. sound good but like everything else i want it to be better. I also have a Gibson Es 135, that i used to play all my jazz. I play a Brian Moore Iguitar (the les pual shape) in my studio. and I have played an Es 446 which i wish i could still play, but they are really hard to find and hard to afford.

I am in college and have a budget, I don't have the money to buy guitars that are much more than 2 grand. it sucks but its the truth

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, or new any good lutheirs that could help me out.

I like the 513 but its expensive and i don't know if its a good idea to pick one up on eBay, i have also never played a prs

As you can see I am lost as shit and i need some help, this is going to be a guitar that will be my main guitar while giging so keep them looking pretty
thanks
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

Technically, you could pull the same franken-doc deal I did -- buy a prs se custom semi-hollowbody, only later to swap out stock pickups for SD 59's, install a tune-a-matic bridge with brass saddles, and add a trapeze tailpiece on the top and schaller M6 minis on the head -- and have it come out a lot prettier than mine, without a doubt.  I think I spent about 800.00 total on this guitar, but that price includes as well the *absolute* "necessity" -- if you will -- of getting the best tools you can to set it up to spec. (namely, languedoc spec., which, if you would like, I wouldn't mind emailing you a spec. sheet that has no less than seven _exact_ measurements taken at various points on Trey's koa doc, that is, the one built in '96).

*EDIT: forgot to mention: flamed koa pickup rings.

cactuskeeb

In effort to anticipate the usual criticisms directed at semi-hollowbodied instruments, I will say that the only true difference(s) between the sound of my guitar and the sound of Trey's 1996 G2 (the third one in the line of G2's Paul L. has built for Trey) is indeed that the latter has a larger sound cavity (and perhaps also that his has a koa top, whereas mine sports a maple one, like the second G2 Paul L. built for Trey in '92.  However, I would argue that this difference does not necessarily make the G2 a "better sounding" instrument; case in point, see the outline Paul gives on his website, detailing the specs. of his new and soon to be released model, the G4.  I trust that after you read this detail, you'll see my point.

Walker done done

www.aoguitars.com

Kid rips.  Tell him what you want for specs & what your budget is, he'll build it.  He's been to 150+ Phish shows - he knows what you're looking for, I'm sure.  And to boot - I can go up to Freeport every so often and personally check on it for you.  I'm telling you, this is a great option if you want to spend $2k or so.

PS - not that it's pertanant to this topic, but I think the new format blows.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Hey Walker dd, did you ever find out if there's an alternative to using myspace as a way to link to sound files in the forum? 

cactuskeeb

www.aoguitars.com...

Guy's headstock design looks like a nike running shoe.   ;D

And don't think I don't know just how stupid my own guitar looks, just because I might also think AO's guitars look like they should be advertised during the commerical breaks for Saturday morning cartoons.

Walker done done

In regards to to sound links, no, I haven't found a better way.  To be honest, I'm probably too lazy to at this point anyways....the myspace link works fine for now.

As for his headstock, I hear ya, but I wouldn't let that ruin anybody's parade.  I've played his guitars and the guy can build with the best of him.  His shop if fucking insane, top of the line stuff.  And the guitars sound great, regardless of headstock appearances.  I will commission him for a guitar.....just gotta build the reserves back up. 

This economy sucks.... :'(
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb