Main Menu

Order of Effects

Started by GregorianChant, August 20, 2008, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregorianChant

With what I've got, (which isn't that great) Whats the best order of effects?
right now it goes like this
Guitar > 535Q (wah) > overdrive > overdrive > compressor > tremolo > Q-tron > rotary/leslie > delay modeler

New to the effects thing... any suggestions

Poster

Quote from: GregorianChant on August 20, 2008, 04:48:07 PM
With what I've got, (which isn't that great) Whats the best order of effects?
right now it goes like this
Guitar > 535Q (wah) > overdrive > overdrive > compressor > tremolo > Q-tron > rotary/leslie > delay modeler

guitar- wah- leslie - overdrive - overdrive - compressor - q tron - tremolo - delay

i like my vibe before my overdrives so they dont distort the swirly,

GregorianChant

Thanks very Much for your response. Like I said I am still kinda new to the gear stuff so I appreciate any and all input.

you would go compressor after the overdrives ?
i just recently put them the other way (I got a keeley 2 knob and the website suggested I try the comp after the OD.)?

And why would you put the Trem after the q-tron ?

Poster

Quote from: GregorianChant on August 21, 2008, 12:56:59 AM
Thanks very Much for your response. Like I said I am still kinda new to the gear stuff so I appreciate any and all input.

i just recently put them the other way (I got a keeley 2 knob and the website suggested I try the comp after the OD.)?

always use the compressor after the overdrives to tame the volume jump. putting the qtron after the compressor will give the qtron better tracking. personally i say ebay the qtron as its a worthless piece of shit, that being said the any reverb tremolo or delay should go after your wah od od comp input loop. using a bypass looper is helpful here as you can bleed those digital effects onto your signal and then bypass them when not in use.

strangedesign

Quote from: posternutbag on August 21, 2008, 02:58:07 PM

always use the compressor after the overdrives to tame the volume jump. putting the qtron after the compressor will give the qtron better tracking. personally i say ebay the qtron as its a worthless piece of shit, that being said the any reverb tremolo or delay should go after your wah od od comp input loop. using a bypass looper is helpful here as you can bleed those digital effects onto your signal and then bypass them when not in use.
definitely look into getting a true bypass switch for the effects that do not already have a true bypass. These guys make great true bypass switches. Here is one with 6 loops and tuner out for $185
http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?products_id=159&osCsid=d40439815d7db9a94cae1a9e21672859
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

lumpy

Quote from: posternutbag on August 21, 2008, 02:58:07 PM

q4t
my qtron+ is the most annoying pedal to use ever
can you still have fun?

Stiles12

I agree with poster saying that the comp will help fix your volume jump between od's, I personally like to compress the last ts9 I put my comp in-between my ts9s... not much science behind it, just a personal preferance, try it out if you like
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Poster

Something else worth noting....

Your compressor volume should be set to where your regular guitar volume with the compressor OFF is the same when its turned on. On my ross clone its about at 3 o'clock. To my ears you must have it set this way before you even use the squeesh control on your compressor. Otherwise it will simply darken and crap all over your tone.

*edit- I was pretty stoned when I wrote this and meant to say my ross is about perfect at 2-3 o'clock on the volume pot. So my original post has been edited to reflect that.  ;)

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on September 07, 2008, 10:12:46 AM
Something else worth noting....

Your compressor volume should be set to where your regular guitar volume with the compressor OFF is the same when its turned on. On my ross clone its about at 7 o'clock. To my ears you must have it set this way before you even use the squeesh control on your compressor. Otherwise it will simply darken and crap all over your tone.

Good point.  But the compressor would have to be at least set @ 12 o'clock to even warrant turning it on in the first place.  In other words, your amp volume should be loud enough, such that engaging the compressor w/ volume @ 12 (even better, one or two o'clock) equals equal volume vis-a-vis your amplifier's output volume minus the comp.  A compressed tone is something that occurs naturally with tube amps turned up really fucking loud; and so you might imagine why it generally doesn't sound good to anyone's ear to hear a relatively low volume tube amplifier being driven with a compressed signal.